Mexican American vs. American Mexican

Discussion in 'Politics' started by unfocusedanakin, Apr 20, 2020.

1. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

So I have figured out that Trump voters get really upset over the term Mexican American because it puts Mexico first. Why are you in America if you don't want our culture. This clip is a good example. Look at how bent of shape this guy gets when his son is told that Mexicans are important and the term Mexican American is used.

I don't know he seems to think he's not the racist one but he is so attached to American nationalism he can't accept others importance. He also does not seem to understand what that word means.

What is American culture really? Everyone else because we are a melting pot. This sumps up the right wing mindset on racism well. This guy honestly goes around thinking he is the evolved one because everyone is American to him.

soulcompromise likes this.
  2. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Some people of mexican decent have a longer american family history than most other americans.

3. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Just get ready for some guy to come into this thread and say "Mexican isn't a race" and strut around like they won the argument...

Running Horse and soulcompromise like this.
  4. unfocusedanakin

Yes they do but that is the problem for some Americans. They should not keep their culture they need to go 100% into American culture. I've never seen someone so offended just because the first word is not America. I wonder if this guy would feel the same about Irish Americans or other white Europeans. It seems fine for those people to be proud because their grandfather was born there.

5. Flagme15

Flagme15 Members

They did a thing on 60 minutes last night about how important the Mexican farm worker is to the food supply chain.

6. unfocusedanakin

The one area where I kind of agree is "African American". When were you in Africa? It's not necessarily the same connection to the culture that Mexicans might have,, But it's a term they like and it does not really matter. But I have noticed in other counties you are just black. No one is African English.

Logan 5 and Asmodean like this.
  7. Flagme15

Flagme15 Members

If you are a white person born in Africa, and then move to America, aren't you also an African American?

Logan 5 and Asmodean like this.
  8. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

There was a member here who had a few different names but I believe the last one was Sleeping Caterpillar and he was an African American, who happened to be white.

9. unfocusedanakin

Yes, but when you heard the term African American do you picture a white guy? Most Africans are black unless it's South Africa and I think the term is mostly used by black people who may or may not even be able to trace where their ancestors came from. Slaves were not really kept track of sometimes. You just work them until they die and buy new ones.

10. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

That's absolutely 100% true, @Flagme15, and I'm glad you brought it up. :)

Talk about not getting benefits... I mean they had Cesar Chavez, but he died and by and large the farmworkers have no leadership to speak of. I haven't ever heard of anything, other than Cesar Chavez! I'm sure there are labor unions, but who is organizing them and to what end? Many of them pay taxes just like you and I. But, of course, if they were working with an ITIN instead of a green card and a social security number, they would not be able to get any governmental benefits. No stimulus check, no loan, no food stamps boost... nada.

11. Flagme15

Flagme15 Members

I k
    now, just pointing out that one size doesn't fit all.

unfocusedanakin likes this.
  12. Flagme15

Flagme15 Members

there are still farm worker unions, but since there aren't any strikes, you don't hear about them. In California, Gov. Newsom will be giving $500 to every "illegal".

soulcompromise likes this.
  13. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

That's awesome! I had no idea & it kind of restores my faith in humanity a little. :D

14. unfocusedanakin

A much simpler human approach to illegals is to allow them become legal. If you can show you live in the US you are eligible to apply (meaning you pay taxes). If you are here for 10 years let's say how do you admit it? All you can do is keep hiding. I think some people assume Mexicans enjoy this life. They are laughing all the way to the bank because stupid gringos let them in. Not the case at all. They have some pretty patriotic views of America if you would bother to accept they speak Spanish. They want to be part of it.

But of course that is not acceptable to Trumpers. They need to be punished at greater cost. Good old small government should have a massive border patrol and military aid.
    No human is illegal

15. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

We all know the OP wants to classify ‘illegal immigrant’ as a separate race

16. Illegal aliens, what they're called in most of the other nations on the planet, come in all colors, races and genders.

wrat likes this.
  17. WhatJustHappened

WhatJustHappened Members

Where I live most “black” people no longer tie themselves to Africa.
    They are Jamaican!
    Or from st Micheal/st Vincent.
    But yeah, black looking so you MUST be African. Which bit? Dickhead.

I believe at some point st Micheal was part of the empire!

probably some are African.....

most racial abuse is technically incorrect, favourite one is “paki” doesn’t matter if you’re Sri Lankan or Indian. If you look that way you’re a paki.
    Proves the mentality of the provoking imbecile.

and forget about all that roots mother land bullshit, we all descended from Africa apparently.

No! You’d be South African! Until you got citizenship.

wrat likes this.
  18. Clever.

19. Flagme15

Flagme15 Members

Not really

20. everything bagel

everything bagel Banned

Such a shame this needs to be pointed out by a European. But yes it is true. The Spanish arrived in the Americas long before the English. I went to high school with a descendent of the Californios. Her family had been in present day California since before the Mayflower

Tyrsonswood likes this.