Mental Illness Support Thread

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by NRx, Dec 30, 2004.

1. NRx

NRx Member

Mental Illness Support Thread
    Come here to discuss:
    Manic-Depressive/Bi-Polar Disorder
    Major Depression
    Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
    Other Mental Illnesses...

Here you are free to talk about all issues, introduce yourselves, and help others who are in the same boat as you.

2. NRx

NRx Member

I was diagnosed with major depression when I was 16... it's been six years, tons of different meds, and now my new doctor is saying I was probably misdiagnosed and actually have bi-polar.

I have to take a psychiatric evaluation in a couple weeks.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? I've heard that bi-polar is often misdiagnosed in women. I would like to hear some first-hand info about the disorder.

3. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

4. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

I really don't believe in mental illness, at least not with the frequency that people are lead to believe exists. I do believe that there is a lot of people making a lot of money off people who have been lead to believe they are "mentally ill," however.

5. fulmah

fulmah Chaser of Muses

the wealth of information available online regarding these topics is staggering. I consider it almost imperative that anyone with a mental/psychological disorder learn everything they can about it; and pay very close attention to what they recommend doing when trying to find a doctor/psych. For example, find out who your psych. treats... if you've been diagnosed with major depression, and your new doctor says you may have been misdiagnosed; do you know if your new doctor has any experience with patients with major depression? I'm sure he/she probably does, but that's the kind of thing that's really really important when selecting a psych.

The thread nimh linked is a great one, there's some good resources within.

6. mystical_shroom

mystical_shroom acerbic

would PMS be considered a mental illness...

7. Pressed_Rat

I am sure Bristol-Myers Squibb would like you to believe PMS is a mental illness.

8. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

haha!
    ~~~~~~~~
    i've been reading some interesting stuff lately about serotonin production. Basically a lot of serotonin is produced in the small intestine, and most people eat all the wrong stuff which ferments and goes all nasty inside of them causing a leaky gut. then their bodies are unable to manufacture the serotonin that they need. The Maker's Diet talked about that. Normally i wouldnt read something nutritional that's based on a religion, but the guy who wrote it has a lot of credentials and uses references to recent scientific studies. it's a good read so far. :D

9. theres the living room couch for this in the personal forums.

i was dignosed as depressed at 12 after i took a handful of tyenol pm's been on meds off and on ever since then. then at 21 i was dignosed as bipolar been on those kind of meds off and on since then, and just yesterday i went for a evaluation, so i could get free help through the state(meds, counsling) i was again dignosed as bipolar but with psychotic episodes, which usually happen in a very manic state(i hear voices and music)..... anyways..

if you dont suffer from depression or any of those things or dont know anybody that does do not say ITS ALL IN YOUR head. NO shit its in my head but its not something i can control. Unless you think about killing yourself daily, feeling completly helpless or so high you can fly, dont talk to me about my issue you do not know!!! Something must run in my family because my grandfather, my mother, and my brother WE are all bipolar.

10. fulmah

fulmah Chaser of Muses

do you happen to know the studies they reference? I'd be really interested in reading those... :)

11. Bellfire01

Bellfire01 I'll say anything

Don't get upset. Some people have to have something bite them before they believe it's real. Depression is a pretty bad thing and most people that have never experienced it could not even imagine all the physical ailments it can cause. It's not easy and sometimes it takes more than talking it out or taking some pill. Some people have to do to hospitals or just far away so that they can concentrate on healing. Some people pretend or wish it away because of the fear of being outcasted. There is nothing noble about suffering in silence. (People only say you're strong or commend you because they don't want to get involved.) Let it out a focus on getting better and forget what some selfish inconsiderate person says because he/she won't help you with their negativity and it takes real strength to listen. (Some people sound tough but they aren't really.)

12. NRx

NRx Member

I tried going in there, but for some reason my membership status says I'm a guest (even though I've been on this site for months) and it won't let me in. Any advice?

Thank you everyone for all the input - I went on a lunch break at work and came back to find all these posts! :D

Colenzo asked if I have ever tried to commit suicide, and the answer is no. I was hospitalized last Christmas for self-mutilation, substance abuse, and heavy depression. Bleh - it was a fun holiday season... I felt like I improved greatly (mostly because of group therapy) but the new meds they put me on weren't helping.

I'm currently on Paxil, Valium, and Ambien (for insomnia), but in the past I have been on: Prozac, Effexor (yuck - worst withdrawal EVER), Lexapro, and a few others I can't remember off the top of my head.

Both my parents and one brother have been or are currently on depression/anxiety medication also, but no one in my family (that I know of) has had bi-polar. I think the worst thing about being on meds is knowing you'll probably be on them for the rest of your life - that's why I'm so worried about the bi-polar diagnosis. I've heard that medications used for its treatment make you even more "zombie-fied" than the ones I've been on so far.

Thanks again, hopefully I'll keep hearing from everyone.

13. i have panic disorder and chronic dysthimia.... dysthimia is pretty much depression except it lasts a lot longer and it's usually more low-grade then major depression.

14. fulmah

fulmah Chaser of Muses

My best friend went through that Effexor withdrawal... went into a mania and couldn't eat or sleep for a week or so; shaking and all that. I take effexor as well, sometimes... but it works almost like an anti-anxiety pill for me... I take it when I'm upset or stressed and about 4 hours later everythings good. It's not supposed to do that, but eh... works for me!

Regarding that "zombie-fied" state. That's a very common description people tag to those medications. It's not the way to look at them, though. Some may effect you in that way, and if they do, talk to your doc. Keep trying them till you find the one that levels you off without that side effect.

15. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

there are 9 pages of references at the back of the book. if my scanner was still working, i'd run it thru for you, but it died the last time i moved. :(

you're right though, it's a good idea to go and check out the references.

16. fulmah

fulmah Chaser of Muses

17. Pressed_Rat

It's pretty depressing that so many people are dependent on the pharmaceutical companies for their psychological "well-being." People don't even stop to consider herbal supplements, dietary changes and meditation as a substitute to meds. Frankly, I think psych meds (especially anti-depressants) are over-prescribed, not only in America, but most of the Western World. Over in England, so many people are taking anti-depressants that levels of these drugs have turned up in the country's water supply. That fact is depressing in itself.

You have to wonder if some of these drugs do more harm than good, especially looking at the suicide rates of people that are new to such drugs like Prozac and Effexor.

The pharmaceutical companies continue to make millions, while pushing the idea that anyone who feels remotely sad or depressed needs to rush right out to their doctor -- who also make money pushing and prescribing these drugs -- to be put on Prozac, Paxil, Luvox, or whatever.

18. KozmicBlue

KozmicBlue Senior Member

I agree. It's scary to think how all these anti-depressants have become so incredibly common. Makes you wonder what the hell is wrong with people these days...

19. GRRRRR..

i agree to a point that meds are pushed on people sometimes because they are just feeling a little "sad". people go through phases of up and down thats normal. Some people do need to be on meds though. I cant take anti depresseants they make me manic. im put on anti pyscotics. Natural remedies dont always work buddy! i used to take st johns wort and i felt even more depressed on it. it didnt help shit. i do meditate and pray, but those do not heal mental illnesses!

Matt you can have your own opionin, but i get this feeling you think people who take meds are weak. i may be reading you wrong but i take that personal. Like i said if you've never experinced severe or prolonged depression you really have no idea what your talking about.

20. nimh

nimh ~foodie~