Memory ability

Discussion in 'Mind Games' started by Adamskiffle, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Adamskiffle

Adamskiffle Members

Would you say that you have a good memory + do you think it's possible to improve your memory/recall ability?

Spill it!?

2. Amethyst87F

Amethyst87F JesF35

I think I have a good memory for some things. --- I think I remember things from movies/tv series.

I'm not always good at remember what people say.

I do think that one can improve one's memory by strengthening it.

3. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

my memory... It's not that I can't remember things. I guess I just don't. Sometimes things aren't important to remember. :sunglasses:

4. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

I'm brain damaged and have selective memory. For example, I can easily forget my own address, phone number, and even where I'm going, and require hours to remember them, but you can ask me anything you want about Asian philosophy, quantum mechanics, and linguistic analysis. I don't even have a sense of smell and my hearing is messed up, so I took to filling my brain with as much contextual data low in entropy around 14 years old. By merely focusing on what's missing from this picture, I could make more sense out of it and make it easier to remember things. Its analog logic, that the US government has sometimes classified as "Vital to the National Defense". Neurologists have already discovered a way to stimulate your brain waves in order to improve your memory and concentration, while others are working on producing the first memory implants for things like Parkinson's disease.

The amount of working memory an individual has is the only reliable measure of their career potential, and they will literally save their brain power for when it is the most productive to use. The rest of us have to get more creative.

soulcompromise likes this.
  5. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

There are different types of memory...

I have exceptional Episodic Memory, I'm really good at remembering personal events and I also have exceptional memory for music. I would say that 95% of the songs I hear on the radio, which I've heard before, I can identify before the chorus. A good percentage of that is usually within the first bar.

However my memory is not so good for remembering like historical facts or even stuff I'm more interested in, like Philosophy. I suppose I'm OOOK with Philosophy but I think that's more a product of me being persistent in reading it and it not being a topic that many really delve into. Regardless, remembering philosophy definitely doesn't come as easy to me as music.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  6. I have the memory of a goldfish.

7. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I forget a password sometimes. Not one that I use constantly, but for instance the one for my bank... Who knows what they must think. :smirkcat:

8. wooleeheron

No doubt, they've heard it all and think you are human. Notably, although the amount of working memory we have is the only reliable measure of our career potential, and some people have almost perfect memories, nature has not seen fit to give everyone near perfect memories. That's because our memories obey the same fuzzy logic as our unconscious thoughts and feelings, which is nature's way of ensuring that we are more creative and don't get stuck in any ruts. If we all had perfect memories, progress would slow to a crawl.

9. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

no, but other people keep telling me i do. i really think my memory is shit but i'm good at figuring things out so it looks like i know more things than i actually do.

sure, you can improve your memory. or at least, you can do brain exercises to slow memory loss.

10. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Sorry.... I don't recall.

CloudyMushroom likes this.
  11. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Memory for music is something that has always intrigued me. Their are more notes in a piano concerto than entries in the old London phone books. While no one would be able to memorize a single page of the phone book, a concert pianist can play literally hundreds of works without music.
    If I am playing in 'C'.I can easily transpose the work into another scale. If playing it in 'E', my fingers would automatically play F,G,C and D as a sharp.
    Perhaps it is more about the structure of music. The third movement of Beethoven's sonata no 14 looks very difficult, but if you look closely, you will realize that the flowing sections are simply a series of broken chords. You can see at 1:33 in this video.

12. wooleeheron

Memory is contextual, while classical music in particular is highly structured, making it easier to remember and to fill in any gaps. I do a similar thing with my linguistic analysis, where I can treat each word as a variable, with little or no intrinsic meaning, empowering me to express more with fewer words. Music does something similar, usually expressing Fractal Dragon equations, which is also what I look for in any writing. Its all the same part of the brain, dedicated to vision, hearing, mathematics, and esthetic appreciation, and the neural networks have already been proven to organize around searching for what's missing from this picture.

soulcompromise likes this.
  13. DrRainbow

DrRainbow Ambassador of Love

1. Memories are digested in the form of emotions. Stress blocks thoughts by suppressing hormones and this causes a distraction from concentration. Start by recording mental health with your emotions by forever replaying the strongest pleasure in your mind and ignoring everything else. Ignorance to everything else is a mental defense mechanism for eliminating stress by secreting hormones to reverse the process and suppress stress. Psychology has made us very, very complex organisms and reliving our happiest memories to protect our immune system from stress also protects our immune system from the pain of the worst memories. You will have a healthy concentration when you are no longer stressed but you will still remember all of the stress that you have already recorded in to your memories. Are you prepared to forgive and forget and move on for your own health? If you want the freedom to hold the odd grudge then read on...
    2. There are two types of psyche in mental health... Peace of mind and psychosis. Those with the peace of mind psyche instantly stop recording all emotional input other than direct pleasure. Those with the psychosis psyche choose to categorize, file and store away every single memory that their mind can read and replaying them over and over and over again drains them of mental health is all kinds of emotional ways. This may make them sick and even lead to a breakdown. So... Concerning ones self with things instead of reliving the strongest pleasure is bad enough for your concentration but if you do not forgive and forget all of your grudges you will resurface at the most inconvenient moments and you will be reminded of the pain for the rest of your life! You will record knowledge a lot faster and replay lot more, the more you learn to derive strong pleasures from the things being memorized.

14. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

How did you get that? Does the goldfish have your memory in return?

DrRainbow and CloudyMushroom like this.
  15. I don't remember. :c

DrRainbow and Driftrue like this.
  16. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i think each of us has better or worse memory in different contexts. i've almost always had embarassingly poor memory for people's names.
    yet memories totally detailed and emersive for some things like places i've been at the times i've been there.
    i mean things like landscapes, architecture, infrastructure patterns and routes, that sort of thing.

my guess is this relates to an individual person's perspective.

i'm sure its something you can exercise and there's the use of nimonics.
    but its been a long time since i've thought about or had a lot of interest in either.

17. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

Yes of course you can improve it.
    I worked in a warehouse where I had to enter lots of numbers into computwr when i was doing returns, it was quicker to get good at memorizing numbers than keep looking back at the item. That was 2006 and my memory for numbers never deteriorated.

18. Meliai

Meliai Banned

This is my memory exactly. I remember everything that has ever happened to me and I remember every song I've ever heard and can recognize it on the first note usually

I've recently noticed even though I love to read I dont really remember books later. I might remember how the book made me feel or what it made me think about but the plot is fuzzy in my memory.

I have a pretty good memory for numbers. I still remember most of the phone numbers of the friends I had in middle and high school.

I had a teacher once who assigned us numbers and didnt call us by our names because he had a better memory for numbers

19. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Imagine that these days. Did you just assume my number? I am not number 11, I identify as #24

Meliai likes this.
  20. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Numbers are infinite and I identify as all of them :p