Memorial Day...

Discussion in 'Old Hippies' started by ~Sam~, May 31, 2004.

1. ~Sam~

~Sam~ Cosmic Traveler

[​IMG]

I hope that this day was as memorable for you as it was for me.

2. seamonster66

seamonster66 discount dracula

Cheers to you mate!

3. GoodKarma

GoodKarma Member

Sam...that is an awesome picture. I was at the Viet Nam and WWII Memorial yesterday and didn't know it when I went into DC that the Rolling Thunder Bike Rally was also being held. So..I saw the memorial for the first time with 400,000 bikers...many who were Viet Nam vets. I have to say that it was quite crowded and a lot of emotion at the monument. My dad served in both wars, so it was very poignant for me. I was against the Viet Nam War and my dad knew that. In fact, he didn't think we should have been involved either, but he did what he had to as a military officer.

4. luvndrumn

luvndrumn Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

To those returned from and those still on patrol, my thanks and my respects.

One day just isn't enough.

5. Midget

Midget Senior Member

The Vietnam Memorial is powerful...went there last year when we were back there to see Family in PA. Saw some other cool stuff in DC, too! Ugh...we watched this video and stuff, did a whole unit on the Vietnam war in History...it was really sad. :( *sigh*

6. sassure

sassure Member

Very moving picture....thanks for posting it.

7. Sus

Sus Hip Forums Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Yes, I agree...that is a beautiful picture...just makes you think. All the soldiers have my respect...I may not agree with the politicians that send them to war, but I have the utmost respect for the soldiers' bravery and committment.

8. homebudz

homebudz Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I've been to the wall 3 times.Last time was in 84 for the dedication of the statues.It was a very moving experience for me and the 3 bros I went down there with(all of us nam vets).If I ever get back to the east coast I will go again,and I want to see the WWII monument.But all of these monuments/staues etc remind me of one thing,PEACE.That is why soldiers fight.That is why soldiers die.PEACE.I hope we see it sometime.

9. ~Sam~

~Sam~ Cosmic Traveler

Hey Guys... I'm very glad that this image stirred you. It's called: "Reflections". I found it awesome, so much so that I have a tee shirt with the pic.

My little brother, he's 55 now and not so little, went down there with the Harley group he and his wife ride with this weekend. He's a Nam Vet too... Navy.

10. poor_old_dad

poor_old_dad Senior Member

Where can I get one of those shirts??

Anyone who hasn't been to the wall, (sorry - hard to type with tears in my eyes), should go. It's very hard be there and see MEN crying. Believe me, if you go, you'll cry too. But it's worth it.

11. luvndrumn

luvndrumn Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Hey, man, I don't know if my legs would carry me. Every time I see an image of the wall, in print or on screen, tears flow. A while back, I was driving down the Mall, on the White House side. I looked over to my left, knowing it was there but not seeing it, and had to pull over and get it together.

One day, I'll suck it up and complete the journey.

12. mariecstasy

mariecstasy Enchanted

that is a hell of a pic. i wanted to go to d.c. this past weekend for the memorial, but as it is only 30 miles away,i will wait until the crowd is more managable!

i have never lost anyone to war. i have had grandparents that went, but it is a great day of recognition and should be honored by more people, but our society doesnt look at it for anything more than a day off and an excuse for a picnic

13. poor_old_dad

poor_old_dad Senior Member

luvndrumn;
    Yea, it'll be tough but I'll go out on a limb and predict you'll be glad you went.

14. ~Sam~

~Sam~ Cosmic Traveler

I'll track down the site for you, Man. I know I have it somewhere. I'll look tomorrow, but I know I bought it online at a Nam Vet's site.

15. homebudz

homebudz Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Bro,I've been there three times.It ain't easy.I know alot of names on that wall.Been there when they were killed,and humped body bags of my fallen bros.I got sort of a cleansing of my soul the first time.Kinda like a weight lifted off me.If you can,go there with some of your nam vet friends.Share the load as we did in combat,it works man.PEACE.

16. ~Sam~

~Sam~ Cosmic Traveler