Member Page - To Index or Not?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself!' started by skip, Jun 5, 2006.

1. skip

skip Founder Administrator

I'm wondering whether we should let search engines index the member pages. I just got thru removing those pages from Google. But now that they're being upgraded, and they're becoming more of a personal webpage, we may want to index those.

We can allow just our own new Hip Search to index them, or all web search engines.

What do you think?

2. shameless_heifer

shameless_heifer Super Moderator Super Moderator

If you were to index them where they would be seen by more people (all web engines) it would draw more ones to the site then if it were just 'locally' indexed. Just my 2 cents worth.
    Brightest Blessings
    sh

3. andcrs2

andcrs2 Senior Member

We're no longer underground/ under the radar?

*fixin to vanish w/o a trace*

4. skip

Sorry, we never were...completely...

Some ppl didn't like having their affiliation with this site made public. That's what will happen if we let the search engines at the member pages.

I'm actually all for it cause then you can search for anyones posts via google or whatever.

5. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

I said all engines and here's why: in 1998 I was searching for "arm pit hair" (for a page I was building on the joys of not shaving) and I found hipforums off one thread.

If someone wants to cloak their association with this site, don't use a real name.
    after all, Skip,YOU own the copyrights. What if you were to use some of the member page material in a new book? You can, according to the agreement.

6. skip

Yes, not using your real name is the best way to cloak yourself. I think the few ppl who had problems were ones who used the same name here as on another site, so when ppl looked them up they found out that mommy not only was a supporter of the local PTA, but also of the local communist organization! LOL!

7. Oz!

Oz! Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

As much as i like to play devil's advocate... i don't see any reason why not.... nobody who signs up here is unaware that they are agreeing to participate on an open messageboard, that is open to pretty much everyone (give or take the censorship issues in various countries, that are discussed on threads elsewhere)... so i don't think anyone expects an illusion of any privacy from search engines and such....

....besides, many come here solely to find like-minded individuals, and we've all seen how the search for peep's old friends from the past is a contiunous part of the forums... and making it easier for people to reignite old friendships can never be a bad thing

can't think of a single reason not to let the spiders wander :)

8. themnax

themnax Senior Member

well i don't have one, but if i did, yes i'd want search engines to be able to find it.
    if people wanted to spam me badly enough to read my rants, maybe they'd learn something.

=^^=
    .../\...

9. skip

Yes you do!

http://www.hipforums.com/forums/member.php?userid=588

Surprise! ;)

Everyone has one now.

10. hippiehillbilly

hippiehillbilly the old asshole

oh my gawd!!!

you meen yer purposing that mine an dilligafs name an mission will be somehow more easily accessed thru the world wide web??

that is just so main stream of ya skip..

no but serious,,

hey man ,, i have nothing to hide to anyone..

so its irrelavent ... mute..

but it does look awful bizzarre to those that do have things to hide im sure..

i could just read the complaints..

man im glad i aint got yer job,, tryin to explain common sence to one that has none..
    must be a blast at times..

luv n light..

11. TheGanjaKing

TheGanjaKing Newbie

Go for it. I have nothing to hide from the world. I've never put out anything to identify me so.....

12. indescribability

indescribability Not To Be Continued

I put out all kinds of shit that can identify me, but I'm not really worried about the reprocussions. I don't have much to hide, so I'm all for it.

13. Xac

Xac Visitor

Yeah I've put out alot to identify myself, but the truth is, if i was worried then i wouldnt have regardless if this site is or is not indexed on general search engines.

14. xaosflux

xaosflux Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Index away as long as it doesn't hurt our search rankings. Local search has been known to be buggy in the past.

15. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

could be a good idea.

16. Rebel_1

Rebel_1 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I have nothing to hide myself but why is it really nessisary, I say keep it like it is.

17. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Senior Member

index away but i do find it interesting that virtualy every post was in favor of indexing, but the poll says only local indexings winning

must be alotta ppl hiding in the shadows scared to post?

18. Creek

Creek Apple Pie

I'm For It...Not A Thing To Hide Here : )))

19. lankymidget

lankymidget Worlds Tallest Dwarf

Anybody can google my username, and browse my posts on here and in other places I use this name..

One of my moments of madness shows up too, but I still have nothing to hide!

Does anybody have any idea how many hits Hipforums actually gets per day, week or whatever?

20. skip

The Hip Forums now gets over 1 million hits a day. But that is only hits, which no webmaster really cares about.