Mellow Mushroom Soy Cheese

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by Lady Neko, May 7, 2007.

1. Lady Neko

Lady Neko Member

my family and i went to mellow mushroom (a pizza place in nc) and they have soy cheese as an alternative. i asked for it and the waitress asked me if it was okay that it had casien in it or something. what is up with that? is it okay to eat soy cheese with casien in it?

2. Bumble

Bumble Senior Member

interesting. I never heard of casien. I wish that the pizza places around here used soy cheese as an alternative.

on a side note, do you live in Asheville, NC? I heard that it is absolutely fabulous there and was told that I should consider teaching there once I get my degree.

3. Lady Neko

Lady Neko Member

that it is wonderful here. i just wish we could stay after we finish our degrees. but hubby is going to try for tennessee so he can get his phd there and then afterwards we may move back. i'd love to raise my family there. people are friendly, eco friendly and crime rate is low. and out of all the places i have lived it only has ONE wal-mart! i don't shop there but it is great.

4. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

Casien aka casein, always a tricky one ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casein

So yes, obviously not vegan. I should imagine they brought that particular soya cheese in mainly to cater for those who are lactose intolerant.