Megan's Law Every parent view!

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Applespark, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Applespark

Applespark Ingredients:*Sugar*

Can you believe the access we now have to knowing about the sex offenders in out neighborhoods?! I guess recently it is the law that Megans law's list of sex offenders withing states and zipcodes is for all to view upon the net. That means you type in your zipcode and you get to view the faces addresses and offenses of sex offenders on your own street even...it's insane! But true... I jsut looked at mine and I have over 50 just in my neigborhood / zipcode I mean...check it out you can view a map of the area and it dots them. There are so many. http://www.klaaskids.org/pg-legmeg2.htm click on your state..

2. MattInVegas

MattInVegas John Denver Mega-Fan

Warning to anyone in Nevada. You'll have to add the Nevada site to your browser favorites and open it that way.

3. BobbinBecca

BobbinBecca Member

All I can say is, whoah. And I guess I'll ask it: does anyone else notice that most of these faces are white fat and ugly? 30 people in my zip and 25 have stats like that, even the one woman on the list.
    Anybody know how long after an offense they have to be listed?

4. Brighid

Brighid Member

One lives right next door to me!:mad: I see him every friggin day!

5. lenamarina

lenamarina LaLa

I clicked it hoping to be able to view my state. For some reason, it has Colorado, but none listed. That's odd.

6. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

There is something like that in the UK too. Or at least there was about three years ago when there was a lot of hype.
    In the end there was a crazied *witch hunt in one particular neighbourhood. Innocent people who just happened to have to same names got their property trashed.

So I'm not totally convinced it's a good idea for that information to be in the public domain, never underestimate the power of stupid people.
    Honestly what good can it do to know. Sure you can be careful, but you do that anyway right? No sense getting everyone jumpy.

*for want of a better word

7. Applespark

I have children of my own Id like to know if they are walking to school who they are passing by etc. I looked at my own rout on my way home from high school and there are plenty, No wonder my parents were worried. this isn't for paranoia reasons. I think its great info for people to know.

8. Gr8fulyDeadicated

Gr8fulyDeadicated Member

as for the info being public domain, in the US court records ARE the domain of the public. i've checked out the florida site more than once, it's pretty accurate, mug shots of the convicted offendors. and in florida, a convicted child molester has to register with whatever county they are living in and keep their address current. personally i really appreciate it. i don't check it out much, cuz i do keep a close eye on my kids. an ounce of prevention...

9. Dakota's Mom

Dakota's Mom Senior Member

I couldn't get any info from the New Jersey site. All I got was an 80 page document on Megan's law. Am I doing something wrong?

Kathi

10. Applespark

I guess every state is different. I know here a few months ago you had to go to the sherifs department to see it there...now you can just go online anytime and view it. it use to not show the addresses of the people and now it s hows their address. It's crazy.

11. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

i wish we had that in canada. :(

12. Applespark

isnt there far less violence and crime in canada?

13. Brighid

Brighid Member

It totally freaks me out that there's a 290 pound sex offender next door.....convicted of sexual battery on a minor under 12.

14. Applespark

did you just find this out by using the megans law database or did you know already?

15. Brighid

Brighid Member

Just found out now.......:mad:

16. RainbowSquidney

RainbowSquidney Member

That's creepy....and scary......

17. Applespark

I am in the center of a bubble of 5 sex offenders a few of rape...just within streets

18. EllisDTripp

EllisDTripp Green Secessionist

A good part of the reason that there are so many people on those "sex offender" lists is the crimes that need to be reported. In some states, getting caught taking a piss on the side of the road is charged as "indecent public exposure", and is considered a "sex crime"! :rolleyes:

Of course, no politician is EVER going to be seen calling for changes in the law to remove these dangerous "sex offenders" from the list, so it just goes on and on...

19. Brighid

Brighid Member

Yeah, butyou can tell, because it lists the crime committed. Like the guy next door, he's charged for sexual battery on a minor under 12.

Personally, I know one guy who got his 15 year old girlfriend pregnant when he was 18. He served jail time, got out, and married the girl. They have 3 kids together and have been married 12 years. His name still comes up, though.

20. Applespark

i say a good part of 63,000 didn't come from people peeing out and about...
    on the california one you can see a map of wherever you are loooking with dots of where they are in california. So you can see who's way out in the boonies and whose clustered by schools and parks. Its actualy very intresting.