Meeting the Parents

Discussion in 'Relationships' started by jen910, Dec 29, 2004.

1. jen910

jen910 Senior Member

My boyfriend wants me to meet his parents this weekend and i'm kind of excited and nervous about it at the sametime. I've never had to do the meet the parents thing before. From what i understand his parents are more conservitive than my family. Do i call his mom maam and his dad sir? Or do i call them by their last name? Or am i just freaking out a little too much about it and just go with the flow?

2. whispers

whispers sweet and sour

B) just freaking out a little too much about it and just go with the flow?

3. gertie

gertie Senior Member

just be yourself, relax, and don't forget to breath.

4. lawngirl

lawngirl Member

don't call them sir or maam just yet... wait and see how they introduce themselves to you. if the dad says, "hi, i'm frank," then call him frank. if he says he's mr. so&so, call him mr. so&so. also, don't assume that because it's straight to call the pops by his first name that it's straight to call his mumma by her first name, too. if you meet his mama and the pops isn't in the room, he might take exception to being addressed by his first name without giving the go-ahead first. especially if they're conservative folks. i'd stick with "mr/s. so&so" before you go with sir&maam.... might make the lady feel old or something.

you might want to read the paper or watch the news before you go, too. they might bring up current events or something and it'll give off a good impression if you know what they're talking about... especially if it's big news. maybe that's arbitrary, but it seems like current events tend to come up, especially as a fall-back conversation. and it might be kind of awkward if you're like, "huh? what earthquake/tsunami?" (not to imply that you wouldn't know about current events, but they'll be impressed if you're able to offer up an opinion on a subject they're interested in). don't stress about it though... it's not a big point. as long as you know whats up, you'll be fine.

what's going to go on when you meet the parents? are you just stopping by their house for a visit, or are you going out to dinner? if they're conservative, etiquette is probably important to them... so let his mumma order first and keep your napkin in your lap till everyone's done eating and you're set. but don't get hung up on using the wrong fork or anything silly.

parents are big on thank you cards. if they buy you an expensive dinner or give you a gift of some sort, it'll look real good on your part if you send them a card.

but yeah, go with the flow. you won't be stressed about it, and will thus be more confidant and his parents will probably dig that. once you meet them, you'll get a feel for them and hopefully you'll be a lot more comfortable, quickly. good luck!!

5. Little flower

Little flower Member

lol, im meeting my boyfriends parents 2day lol

6. hiro

hiro pursue it

Meeting the parents is scary. My boyfriends family is very conservitive. I call them Mr and Mrs but see what you boyfriend says about the whole situation and have fun :)

7. Little flower

Little flower Member

tkx i just got bk and they r ok tkx

8. jen910

jen910 Senior Member

I met the parents on saturday and it went all right i suppose. We ended going to a movie and dinner. I got the third degree and i hate being put on the spot but i think i handled myself well and my boyfriend said they like me so far. I feel the only thing his mom didnt like about me was that i'm younger than he is.

9. whispers

whispers sweet and sour

how much younger

10. jen910

jen910 Senior Member

i'm 22 he's 28...not a big difference but alitttle.

11. whispers

whispers sweet and sour

well thats nothing ......how long have been going out

12. jen910

jen910 Senior Member

2 months