Meditation...negative mental effects?

Discussion in 'Yoga and Meditation' started by citrus_seas, May 30, 2006.

1. citrus_seas

citrus_seas Senior Member

i'm just starting to get into meditation because i'm trying to deal with my panic disorder and i was wondering if meditation had any negative mental effects, like will it make my disorder worse sometimes or will I not be aware of where I am sometimes because of it? I'm just curious to see if this meditation thing is really for me.

2. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

The idea that there's one meditation that has the same effect on all people is preposterous. You would need to tell us which meditation and other things like your age, amount of time spent on it, desired goals with it, and so on....

For instance, Sri Sri Ravi Shankar teaches a kriya breathing technique which is basically hyperventilation, but it's also a meditation technique. This would be in stark contrast to his other meditation technique, taken from his former mentor MMY, which is the same mantra meditation as TM, which would be a really still and silent practice which could decrease respiration.

They are both meditations of sorts, though one is a kriya and one is a dhyana technique. Etc., you get the picture.

Uh, also, one gets into Buddhist versus Hindu techniques, and even Taoist if one is able to find them.

What normally is called meditation in Buddhism - the shamatha/vipassana techniques can probably cure nervous problems eventually over a span of years, though initially they may increase ones awareness of their situation and induce greater fears and uncertainties until one becomes comfortable with them.

I always recommend chanting for anyone with mental issues due to the fact that it:
    clears the mind and centers one
    with little internal focus and concentration
    and the vibrations are soothing
    for the body, mind and environment.

Peace.

3. telecino

telecino Member

Hi, Your panick diorder can be cured by many ways, but directly entering meditation is the "aggresive" way to face yourself. In meditation, you place yourself directly in front of all that you are, including what makes you panic subconsciously, so it might be harsh to proceed with such blunt technique.

you might want to try the different energy work and spiritual techniques that ressemble meditation, but builds up your self trust. The first step of the "Kuji-In" technique is especialy made to build self trust and resolve issues related to courage and panic. Here are a few pages of a book on the subject:
    http://www.livemaster.org/archive/Kuji-in_EN_78_85.pdf
    http://www.livemaster.org/archive/Kuji-in_EN_93_95.pdf

Best of luck in your studies.

4. Ryvr

Ryvr Member

Try regular short sittings and see how it feels. I would think meditation would be excellent for panic disorder. It helps me with anxiety because I am learning that I can control my mind and shut down problematic thoughts at will.
    Peace,
    Ryvr

5. HippieFlowerGirl67

HippieFlowerGirl67 Banned

Try regular short sittings and see how it feels. I would think meditation would be excellent for panic disorder. It helps me with anxiety because I am learning that I can control my mind and shut down problematic thoughts at will.
    Peace,
    Ryvr

I like that. That's definetly what I need. Sometimes I dwell or reminice too much on something that happened to me and then I freak out and think that same thing will happen to me some other time in the future and then that messes up everything else. I need to learn to calm my mind but I can't seem to do that alone and what not. Does anyone know of any places in Arizona that do meditation, etc.?

6. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

7. Art Delfo

Art Delfo It is dark

hey all I do a combnation of 3 technquies

breathing
    just sitting
    and I ask the question "What is I?"

would any of these have any negative affects on me?

8. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

Not probable. The best thing about having a group of peers doing the same method is that one can share experiences and gain help at times when confusion proliferates. But these simple methods will probably not create causes or conditions for anything which is not already there.

9. onelovemission

onelovemission Member

Meditation can increase all the aspects of yourself, positive and negative. It brings things up for you to deal with, sort of amplifies who you are. I have used meditation myself for dealing with anxiety and panic attacks etc so I wouldn't advise against it at all.

It may be worth your while seeking out some Reiki healing or emotional freedom technique sessions. These can work wonders for disorders such as these. I know because I treat people with them every day.