Medical insurance for mental health questions

Discussion in 'Mental Health' started by peacelove&music, Oct 23, 2017.

1. peacelove&music

peacelove&music Member

Hi,

My best friend in the entire world just attempted to commit suicide this last Saturday. She lives about 6 hours away from me but thankfully I knew of someone there who was able to rush her to the ER and she's doing better now. However, now the situation is she is being transferred to an in patient psych ward in another city. I was told by one of the nurses that it will be very expensive and my friend does not have health insurance. I am worried that the stress of how to pay for this will be overwhelming for her and I want to help her as much as I can. I'm not sure how long they intend to hold her at the in patient place but I wanted to see if there is a way I could apply for her to get health insurance or if there are programs designed to help with the costs of this type of stuff? She is only 24 years old. Her parents are fucking worthless sadly.

Does anyone know anything about how medical insurance works? I know literally NOTHING about this type of stuff. I would really appreciate if anyone could help me figure this out. Thanks so much in advance.

-Megan

Ps. Guess I should mention we live in CA.

2. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

hard situation megan...I live in Canada....we have a liaison at every hospital that hooks people up with insurance etc if they cannot do it themselves....ask if there is a social services office in the hospital

good luck

3. morrow

morrow Visitor

Long live the good old NHS..

Feel for you and your friend.. must be awful

Is there not a 2 tier system?

4. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

5. Amerijuanican

Amerijuanican Banned

Sorry you have this situation.

Hopefully the places MeAgain posted will help. There are ways to plow through the American system, just have to know what hoops to jump through.
    She needs someone else to help with this (hop maybe you can?) I dunno......

Is this an at home crisis? If so, she needs to get out and stay out somehow. Doesn't sound like home is the greatest place for her.
    Try to help if you can. A friend is always worth doing anything you can for.

6. broony

broony Banned

Have someone sign her off under supervision to get her out of all of it.

She is not 18 so the parents don't need to.

Who ever signs it off though, that's on them, and they have to have some kind of 'proof' that they can. So until the date is met, anything that happens its on that person.

I don't know the terminology or laws in all of this. Just through experience when my girlfriend tried to OD on pills.

She was going to be takin away that morning after what happened. Everything was dropped cause the document was signed by someone close to her.

I don't know Cali laws like my own.

She doesn't have to pay for shit. Its her right. That is a general rule.

If she has long medical history of this kind of thing that changes how doctors look at it. None the less someone giving supervision should be able to say, 'yes i take responsibility for the next week or whatever it might be im taking her home'

Again i don't know the laws in this. You gotta look it up.

7. broony

broony Banned

People who try to commit suicide are just asking for help, its a form of Cry Wolf.

People who really want to die, they fucking do it. Their is no fail.

If I want to die well ill put my 9mm to my head, aim right, and shoot.

Failed suicide attempts people usually in desperation. You wont fail if you want to die.

So,

They need the right person to give them courage and to basically tell the subconscious to shut the fuck up.

Don't agree with all your friend tells you on how she feels, people want others to agree with them, tell her what to do. Do it subtle at first.

Remind yourself its for her own protection.