Maui Hipsters!

Discussion in 'Back to the Garden' started by skip, Aug 27, 2005.

1. skip

skip Founder Administrator

Where are all the lovely flower children who settled on Maui (and Big Island) in the 70s?

I remember so many cool beautiful people living there during my time which was the late 70s early 80s. It was such a special time & the Maui Magic was everywhere.

That's where I met Alicia Bay Laurel when she was housesitting Illi's place in Kula.

Also the jungle bunnies living in trees, out on the road to Hana, and all the freaks who frequented Longhis for salads & my tofu teasecake.

Then there was that tiny, but fun community on Little McKenna beach, where I lived for a whole month, nekkid!

Let's not forget the astanga yogis down in Kipahulu. Are you all still there?

And I remember trippin' my brains out on mushrooms picked at the seven sacred pools (on many occasions!). One time I got to stay in Hana in a real cool pad with some cool people, more than one named David as I recall...

Then there was that etheral angel I might one night frying on Acid in Hosmer's grove. I'd sprained my ankle real bad at the crater rim & couldn't go down with the big party, so I was left to fend for myself, and she kept me company on a cold dark night. ;)

I've got so many great Maui stories I've started to write a book about them.

Tara, Montana & Starshine were just a few of the beautiful Maui girls I remember! :)

It was to places like Maui that the hippies moved to after the 60s. A place where they could get back to nature. It was part of the great Hippie Diaspora.

People think hippies just disappeared, but in reality they ended up on communes or into the jungles and forests to live their "back to nature" dreams.

2 people like this.
  2. oink

oink Member

I did maui including makena and fred kobataki's behind the lahaina sugar mill in the early 70's. I don't remember the Makena period too well as there was red and green free christmass acid everywhere. I eventually left hippiedom to do the straight thing but onceyou do something like that for about 5 years some of it stays woth you forever. I'm still waiting for my promised free flashback.

3. skip

I stayed in a house in Lahaina near the sugar mill run by two lesbians that rented rooms when I first arrived there. It was the pits! I basically had half a tiny porch, screened off from the next "room". But I got a good job and got out of there pretty fast. Those were the good ol' days in Lahaina when there weren't so many tourists and it was pretty laid back.

4. oink

oink Member

I got run off by the park ranger at the 7 sacred pools for screwing my girlfriend in one of the upper pools. There was absolutely no one around, then he showed up on the cliff above the pool. Another time I got run off by the park ranger for driving my 1960 chevy pannel truck up to the upper pools where it was posted 4X4 only. Picked shrooms once with a couple of friends up towards kula. He was eating them as he picked and got so screwed up he wouldn't go back (to Makena) with us. Maui county P.D. pickedhim up and dropped him uff at the hospital where they gave him a shot of something that ruined his buzz. There used to be a Myna bird at a stand (juice stand I think) that lived in a tree there. It had a hashish cough because so many people used to smoke hash there under the tree that the bird copied the cough. During that time I rarely saw pot because the afghanie primo hashish was so plentiful and cheap. $15 to $20 a quarter, as I recall. That was very kick ass stuff.

5. skip

Hey oink, by the time I lived there in the late 70s hashish was nowhere to be found. By then there were so many ppl growing 'da kine'! And man between the Puna butter, Kona buds and Maui wowie, you didn't need anything else! It was expensive of course just as it is now, but man, I've YET to find a better buzz than hawaiian pot, SWEET! ;)

1 person likes this.
  6. oink

oink Member

Just thinking about a fun time in late 1970 when I attended Mauna Olu College for one semester. We took a weekend and hiked into the crater. From inside we climbed to the crater rim, the West side I think, and dropped mescaline at the top. There was a pile of rocks at the top that someone said was an old Hawaiian alter. We later essentially slid back down to the floor. A very mystical experience. It was amazing no one got hurt as we were plenty stoned and it was very steep with little or no recognizable trail.

7. dollydagger

dollydagger Needle to the Groove

I know im not of the age group to which this thread is directed to, but i have been enjoying reading your anecdotes nonetheless. A question: are any of you familiar with Rainbow Bridge? Have you been there or have you meet people that heve been there? I know it was on Maui around the time that you all are speaking of.

8. oink

oink Member

I don't believe rainbow bridge is an actual place. I wasn"t on Maui in time to catch it but my ex-wife was there for the Hendrix "concert". She was a Maui girl. It was just a pasture in upcountry Maui (very close to where she lived, which was Pukalani) where Hendrix did his movie thing and "concert". It was an absolutely beautiful area during that time period. I haven't been to Maui in 30 years so it could be developed now.

9. skip

10. oink

oink Member

After looking up the date of the concert (July 30, 1970), it seems I missed it by two months. Oh well! Maui was a magical place back then. I don't think there was any place more beautiful. My heart will always be there, at least the there I remember.

11. SucculentFlower

SucculentFlower earthfirst!

Yo Skip! I did end up relocating onto Maui after all. Interesting how Pele shakes us out where we belong. I'm in Haiku and the Beaches are fine, have yet to gain community tho. Wish me abundance and blessings to sink roots in here for the sake of my child.

Mana Foods rocks and I saw Willie Nelson drive by in his Hot-Rod, he say "hi" btw. No Ka Oi Aloha!

12. rubalicious

rubalicious Guest

Hi Skip, I lived in that house with the two scary women on the corner of the Hwy and Lahina Luna Rd, across from the gas station. I moved there to get out of Kobataki's. Talk about frying pan to fire. I had a dog named Pedro and drove taxi. Amazing there isn't more written about those very interesting times in Lahaina.

13. Sfj

Sfj Members

I was at the Jimi Hendrix "concert" on the side of Haleakala Crater. Rainbow Bridge.

He had a lot of pot at the time and he shared with us.

14. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Meeeeemmmmries! I was there in '69. made friends on Oahu with a guy named Jim and he got a job on Maui. He had a 40 foot trimaran (the Strider) and sailed over to the little harbor by the Pioneer Inn. I had made some money roofing and as usual, when I had a grand or two saved up---I dropped out --AGAIN. Anyway, figured I might as well mosey over to Maui also. Bought a '58 Chevy station wagon and stayed in it by the Banyon tree. Nice waking up in the morning and hearing the kids dancing the Hula. Sailing around off Maui was incredible! Big sub-tender was offshore and we ( 3 guys and 3 or 4 BEAUTIFUL GIRLS) sailed up close an the girls took their tops off. The sailors went nuts, but soon enough--a voice came over a bullhorn and told us to get away. The main sail had a 6 foot peace sign on it---probably riled 'em up over that. The VN war was going full blast.

Lived up in Kula with a couple of girls from San Diego a while, close to Joe Paus place. The powers that were, hated that place 'cuz Joe had a lot of hippys living on his property.

I remember when the mayor of Maui was disgusted that hippys were "polluting the waters of Maui! It was in the paper. He got a b**b dropped on his land by a pilot that somehow missed Kahoolave. (sp?) Wasn't happy!

By the bye----went back to Maui some time after I lived there---and lo and behold---there was my '58 Chevy cruising La Haina chock full of hippys! I didn't say anything to them about it--after all, I had left it in the airport withe key in it, hoping that some hippys would get it. Easy come, easy go.

Accompanied some friends to Haleakela and watched them proceed down to the cabin. I didn't go because I had a roofing job coming up. Always regretted that--job didn't happen until they went down to the pools and back to La Haina. Dammit!

Sometime I'll come back and reveal the acid trip to Hana and the trip with the police and the shimmying boobs! I have a million of 'em.

And the BIG ISLAND! A million more, including the time I turned on 15 cops to some sweet window pane. Yeah boy!

15. hana vana

hana vana Members

I was there in '75-'76. Stayed in Paia before moving to a treehouse in Hana Vana, or Hana Wana. Can't find it on the map, but it was half way to Hana. There was an astrologer named Roy Richardson who helped Marc Edmond Jones with a book, just before going to Maui. I lived with a lady name Elsa who had 4 boys that I kind of 'nannied' for room and board. We entertained a lot, zen buddhist monks and anyone else who happened by. I wonder if anyone remembers Kenny Windsong? I traveled around the island frequently, sometimes staying in Pukalani with a couple, he was an Iridologist, and they had a baby, natural birth at home, while I was there. I was there through the rainy season and 'summer' lots more to write. I just missed George Harrison and one of either Crosby, Stills, Nash or Young playing at a local bar in Lahaina the night before I arrived on the island.