Matzoh ball soup

Discussion in 'Soups' started by GHOSTCRAB, Oct 29, 2006.

1. GHOSTCRAB

GHOSTCRAB Banned

Extra hot.

2. philly29

philly29 Member

I like my Matzoh Balls hard soft on the outside and a little firmer on the inside. The best way to accomplish this is to put the mix in the fridge for a couple (4)hours.

3. The_Walrus

The_Walrus Sgt. Pepper

Mmmmmm, I love it!

4. GHOSTCRAB

GHOSTCRAB Banned

Broth: Heat 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add 2 large carrots, 1 large parsnip, 2 ribs celery and 1 large onion, roughly chopped and saute for 8 minutes. Add the bones of 1 roasted turkey, roughly chopped and 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley, and cover with water (just enough water to cover the bones). Turn the heat down to medium-low, and simmer partially covered for 2 to 3 hours. Then strain the broth into a medium-sized soup pot using a strainer lined with cheesecloth. Simmer the strained turkey broth over medium-low heat, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes to reduce. Season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Matzoh Balls: In a medium-sized bowl, lightly whip 2 eggs with 1 tbsp canola oil, 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt, and 2 tbsp cold water. Then, with a fork, stir in 1/2 cup matzoh meal and 1/2 cup of minced fresh dill. Refrigerate the matzoh ball mixture for 15 minutes. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Take the matzoh ball mixture out of the fridge and with slightly wet hands, form the mixture into 1 1/2-inch balls; then drop them into the boiling water. Cook for 20 to 30 minutes. Strain the matzoh balls. In each bowl place 2 matzoh balls, ladle on the turkey broth, and garnish with the remaining minced fresh dill.