maternity leave

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by sweetdreadlover, Apr 24, 2007.

1. sweetdreadlover

sweetdreadlover TattooedRainbowGurl

so my husband and i are thinking about when i go on maternity leave and i dont know if there are any options for pay. we cant afford for me to not get paid for 2 months...does anyone know what i can do????

2. icedteapriestess

icedteapriestess linguistic freak

save money now. When I was 3 months pregnant I hopped on a plane home to Canada and got myself a job. My husband continued working in the US. We both saved like crazy. Our only major expenditure that wasn't all about the baby was when he flew up to see us for a week last April. August 1st he loaded up the car and drove to Saskatchewan. I wasn't working from July 15th on.

So... with 2 of us working we were able to save enough for both of us to be unemployed from August 1st until October 1st when I went back part time. (Not to mention the cost of immigrating to Canada, baby stuff, moving, apartment shopping...). We actually still had several thousand in the bank when I went back!!

3. sweetdreadlover

that seems like alot of saving!! Plus my husband and I are in the process of paying off his deceased mothers ashes which are in STORAGE and not buried yet because of the 1200 dollar bill..im freaking out a bit

4. icedteapriestess

icedteapriestess linguistic freak

I freaked out too when I was at your point. But, there came a point when I realized what is truely important. Saving money to allow me to spend time with my son once he arrived was important. Saving money to allow for my husband to be with us was important.

I'm not saving your MIL's ashes aren't important... but she isn't going anywhere, is she? I mean, she isn't IN the ashes, she's moved on. And I am sure she would want you to do what is needed for her grandchild. Still pay them off, but maybe lower the amount you are paying? Its up to you to make money happen, and its up to you (and your husband) to figure out where your priorities lay, right?

5. sweetdreadlover

you make a very good point. but i don't think my husband sees it this way...hes still mourning the loss of his mother and he doesnt like the idea of her being in storage...which i understand and ive been trying to tell him the child is more important at this point...his father refuses to work and help pay for such things so im kinda hampered with this situation:(...never fails, my inlaws always make my life hard..lol...

6. HippyFreek

HippyFreek Vintage Member

We have a very difficult financial situation on our hands. DH wants to save for a vacation and live in a bigger apartment in a better neighbourhood. And we make enough to barely cover our expenses as a family every month. And sometimes, we struggle to make it. We don't have a lot of frivilous expenses. We don't eat the best organic foods or buy lots of extras.

But it was important to me, and still is, that the only people that watch our child be my husband and myself. And it'd be even more important if I were breastfeeding. I'd rather live in a tent than put M in daycare. That was my mindset.

So, even at our most strapped, I never compromised that. I have a part-time job now. I work in the mornings watching children before DH goes to work. And I'll start looking for another part-time evening job soon. Or we both might look for side-jobs. But we'll always make it.

The most important thing is to know what you want for your family and most especially, for your baby. Make sure you verbalise it, so your husband KNOWS. And then talk about ways to cut corners, save cash, change your life style to make it happen.

We gave up fastfood, sodas, most meats, recreational activities (of the illegal persuasion), and lots of opportunities for travel (concerts and festivals), but we're happier knowing that we're making happen what we want to see happen with our family. And we're STILL going to Europe next year too!

7. yarrow_sun

yarrow_sun Member

do you have short term disability with your job? It might not be much, but it would buy some groceries.

8. sweetdreadlover

no. my boss is a cheap son of a bitch and doesn't pay for anything

9. Dakota's Mom

Dakota's Mom Senior Member

Aren't you in Washington? Don't they have a state disability plan. I know here in Jersey when you go on maternity leave you qualify for disability from the state. It pays 2/3 of your salary the whole time you're off work. It can be extended if your doctor says you still need to be home.

Kathi

10. sweetdreadlover

im in oregon. and in oregon employers do not have to supply anything . its a right to hire right to fire state too so they can fire me if they want as well

11. nlove

nlove Member