Martial Arts

Discussion in 'Men's Issues' started by -Stevey-, Feb 17, 2009.

1. -Stevey-

-Stevey- Member

Hey everyone, being able to kick someones ass and defend yourself is has long been associated with manliness(though some girls will beat the hell out of you too). Who here practises a martial art? Who here practises several? If so what do you practice? Do you enjoy it/think it would be useful in a street fight?

I'm currently in muay thai, which is in ways similar to kick boxing but much more deadly. It's often refered to as the science of the 8 deadly limbs as you are allowed to use elbows and knees in addition to fists and feet. Actually its really nothing like kickboxing but it may look like it to someone who dosent know the difference.

Theres a judo club in my area and for 50 dollars you get one year of training! I'm thinking of joining for two reasons mainly. 1. It evolved from the Samurai art of fighting known as jui jitsu and Samurai are soooo fucking coool! 2. I don't want to join wrestnling because you're like half naked rolling around with other half naked men and you get all sweaty and EWWWWWW. Wow that was a long post, sorry bout that...

2. Hippie McRaver

Hippie McRaver Senior Member

so your one of those martial arts geeks ha?

I have been taking shotokan karate for like 2 years now I think its great, but I think it should have more emphasis on what to do if you get pinned to the ground.

the inevitable comment from someone talking about UFC is sure to come now, lets keep this between the people who practice and the people who watch :)

3. silverhippy

silverhippy Comfortably Numb

I carry a gun !!!! Who the fuck want's to get brused knuckles ???

Peace

4. FarmerJ

FarmerJ Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Muay Thai is kick boxing. It means "Thai boxing" in Thai. I trained and compeated in Muay Thai for about for about 8 years and before that about 5 years in Go Ju Ru Kempo karate as a kid and teenager. In tearms of a street fight it can help you to be in shape, and know how to throw a punch, and keep your head cool. I grew up in a very fighty part of Boston and found that experance on the streets helped me more in the ring more then the other way around. One thing you learn from martial arts is to avoid situations that involve fighting.

5. -Stevey-

-Stevey- Member

Thai boxing and AMERICAN kickboxing is different though. Check in out on wikipedia or look it up elsewhere if you dont belive me.

6. TheMadcapSyd

TheMadcapSyd Titanic's captain, yo!

This posts starts about manliness, the ends with 'sweaty and ewwwwww" which I gotta think is definitely more of a feminine thing.

7. -Stevey-

-Stevey- Member

Well i meant you'd have other mens seat arses rubbed against ur face, i dont mind being sweaty myself, but when u add other mens sweaty bodys rubbing aginst my own well thats eww

8. mamaKCita

mamaKCita fucking stupid.

personally, i'd like to watch something like that live. it's kinda hot.

9. mamaKCita

btw, i'm considering muay thai and/ or krav maga for my daughters. i'm thinking they've got the need and desire.

10. -Stevey-

-Stevey- Member

Muay Thai is really good self defence, the first thing i learned was how to punch and kick, elbow and knee a heavy bag. Plus it's really good excersice the workouts we have to do kick my ass so bad I'm still getting used to it. Any one here do several martial arts?

11. drew5147

drew5147 Dingledodie

QFT

In response to the thread...

I used to study shotokan, also, I made it to my second degree brown belt before I quit, and have been thinking of starting again for some time now.

Also, martial arts is not about being able to "kick someone's ass" it is learning self-defense and self-discipline, and if you have even a minuscule amount of the latter, you would see that there is no need to go around beating people up.

12. mamaKCita

unless you're a very pretty girl. in which case, being able to kick some ass comes in handy. all i ever got was the "kick 'im in the nads" class.

13. Mellow Yellow

Mellow Yellow Electrical Banana

I don't know that martial arts will make you manly, but it will instill self confidence and physical fitness, and it has spiritual and psychological benefits as well.

I've trained shotokan for over twenty years, which I teach, and I've become much less aggressive and violent than I was when I started, but yeah, it's good to know that in a compromising situation you have a fighting chance if and when the need presents itself.

Exactly. With power comes responsibility.

14. -Stevey-

-Stevey- Member

Ever hear of kyokushin karate? That shit is intense i seen it on "fight quest" which you can watch on you tube. It's a full contact karate emphasizing realistic combat and physical toughness. They also do this thing called kumite, where for very advandced practisioners, the subject of the test may fight 50 to 100 opponents one after the other with very little rest time in beween. You can watch a kumite here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rg_m8cxqccU&feature=related

And i know martial arts ins't about beating people up, but if your going to be defending yourself from an attacker, man you better kick the other guys ass.

15. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

16. mamaKCita

i suppose getting my girls training might not be a good thing considering how much they fight and the tempers that they OBVIOUSLY got from their father...

17. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

If you teach them they’ll quickly learn to respect their sensei [​IMG]

Hotwater

18. -Stevey-

-Stevey- Member

:troll:Just make sure he's a nice sensie like mr.Miyagie and not like the sensie of the Kobra Kai in the karate Kid movie.

19. deleted

deleted Visitor

2nd Dan in aikido, I could kick you in the nuts, If your nuts were on your chin and you stood 6 ft tall..

20. mamaKCita

hmmm. you make a fine point.