market death watch..

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by hippiehillbilly, Feb 18, 2009.

1. hippiehillbilly

hippiehillbilly the old asshole

i dunno, your comparing apples to oranges.

one holds the economy up by employees,the other by loans..

both are equally important in their own ways.

2. TheGanjaKing

TheGanjaKing Newbie

i guess when you look at it that way

I was comparing them both as being black holes for our money

3. hippiehillbilly

oh they are black holes.

i personally believe it is important to attempt to save the auto industry.(its said that 1 in 20 workers in america are somehow tied to the auto industry) HOWEVER, i feel a stipulation of the loans should be ALL UAW workers take a 40% cut in pay and benefits,early retirement with full pensions should be revoked and executives should have a salary cap with no bonuses allowed.

4. hippiehillbilly

5. TheGanjaKing

TheGanjaKing Newbie

that's exactly why I don't support any of these efforts until the UAW gets off its high horse and does their part

because let's face it, if they don't, and say, just GM fails, all the stimulus money in the world won't save us at that point.

But I doubt they will take any cut, and we will give them money anyway. That has become the American way

6. hippiehillbilly

oh this should be great for the markets..:rolleyes:

Morgan Stanley Says Sell :eek:

Best S&P 500 Rally Since ’38 (Update2)
    March 30, 2009

By Nick Baker

March 30 (Bloomberg) -- Investors should sell U.S. stocks following the steepest rally since the 1930s because earnings are likely to keep weakening, according to Morgan Stanley.

The Standard & Poor’s 500 Index has advanced 21 percent in the past 14 trading days, the most since 1938, according to data compiled by New York-based S&P analyst Howard Silverblatt. It closed at 815.94 last week, rebounding from the 12-year low of 676.53 reached on March 9.

“We cannot see large upside for the S&P 500 above the 825- 850 level,” Morgan Stanley strategist Jason Todd wrote in a report dated yesterday. “In the rush to buy a cyclical recovery, it seems earnings or valuation no longer matters. We would be comfortable with this view if the earnings trough was closer, but it is not.”

S&P 500 futures expiring in June lost 2.2 percent at 8:29 a.m. in New York as the Obama administration said some banks will need further government aid and bankruptcy may be the best option for General Motors Corp. and Chrysler LLC.

U.S. companies will start reporting results for the first quarter in the next two weeks. Analysts, who have overestimated profits for every period since the third quarter of 2007, expect S&P 500 earnings to drop 36 percent on average, paced by retailers, automakers and semiconductor suppliers, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. They’re forecasting S&P 500 companies won’t halt the longest streak of declining earnings since at least 1947 until the fourth

For the entire article:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...6vM&refer=home

7. TheGanjaKing

TheGanjaKing Newbie

we are seeing the PPT at work, keeping us around 200-225 points down

they can't even seem to get it pumped up enough to break even