Mark Knopfler / Dire Straits

Discussion in 'UK Music Forum' started by Power_13, May 20, 2004.

1. Power_13

Power_13 insult ninja

Man, I practically grew up on the Brothers In Arms album. That's how long I've liked Dire Straits, but I only started listening to them again this past year. Just wondering if there were any fellow fans of Mr Knopfler's unique guitar style here :)

Expect the same thread, but with Thin Lizzy as the subject, next week ;)

2. zopilote

zopilote Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

yes! i grew up on them too,

knopfler is just one of the finest guitarist there have been, he doesnt just stick to one particular style, and despite the fact that he can play worryingly technical things, he doesnt plaster all of his tracks with them, so he's rarely boring which is something i find with many lead guitarists

have you got any of his solo stuff? sailing to philadelphia is a probably my favourite album by him, including the dire straits ones, completely different from everything he did with them...covering so many different genres in one record and so damn well too...

i saw him live a few years back...incredible, they played telegraph road (i never quite understood how that song manages to be so exciting for such a long time)

3. bokonon

bokonon Senior Member

I'm another raised on Dire Straits. Who'd of thought there would be so many left. They did write some great songs like, and yup Knopfler is a genius on the guitar. Even though it's a live album and technically unvalid, "Alchemy" was always my favourite.

I have it on video nowadays and it keeps the Straits fan in me happy.

4. Power_13

Power_13 insult ninja

Good to see a couple of people who agree with me :)

I have Sailing To Philadelphia somewhere, and I've heard a few tracks from The Ragpicker's Dream. One thing that seems to set Mark Knopfler's writing apart from others is how English he sounds - in some songs there are definate influences from American music, but songs like Wild West End or What It Is have something about them that sets them squarely in the UK. Wild West End sounds so much like London it's weird :p

I've never heard Dire Straits live, Bokonon. I'll keep an eye out for Alchemy though, it sounds good :)

5. bokonon

bokonon Senior Member

I get what you're saying about Mark writing British tunes. I'm from the North East, pretty close to where Knopfler and Co grew up, hearing them sing about the Spanish City and Whitley Bay in 'Tunnel of Love' always makes me think 'England'...Probably only because I've seen the places and grew up with the tunes, but still!

To kinda tie in another topic, what other albums make you think of England? I'm listening to the album my signature is taken from at the minute...."The Village Green Preservation Society" by The Kinks - Surely one of the most British albums ever!

6. bokonon

bokonon Senior Member

7. Power_13

Power_13 insult ninja

"English" albums/songs...there's an interesting topic. How about Gerry Rafferty's Baker Street? Makes me think of someone in a London bar at night, drowning their sorrows. In fact, kind of reminds me of this drunk I met once...

Richard Thompson's "I Feel So Good" is another one...or 1952 Vincent Black Lightning. VBL especially reminds me of the mods/rockers era (particular emphasis on the rockers). In fact, I'm off to make a Richard Thompson post in a bit :p

Sometimes, The Rolling Stones have the English sound...when they're not doing blues structures. Angie, Beast Of Burden and You Can't Always Get What You Want are quite English (especially YCAGWYW, with the choir intro. Maybe the English thing in my mind is linked to quirky bits).

Now I'm trying to think of bands that aren't English, but have that English vibe in some of their songs...none come to mind at the moment

8. bokonon

bokonon Senior Member

I've got it!

Lindisfarne! They're English as hell. And they rule. Now, now, yes they do.