marijuana and depression

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Duck, May 30, 2007.

1. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

I have mono
    one of the side effects is depression
    now, I don't know that I had depression, per say, but I had this 'fuck everything' despression-esque stuppor going on
    I haven't been to school in days, etc. etc.

I smoked weed last night, and I'm good as gold
    been working on my website all day, ready for school tomorrow, etc.

that shit really should be legalized

2. lace_and_feet

lace_and_feet Super Member

Yep, whenever I smoke (which isn't often lately) I feel so good that I always tell myself "We should do this more often".

3. TopNotchStoner

TopNotchStoner Georgia Homegrown

Agreed. I was in the same situation, except I was actually clinically depressed, and the therapist even said the weed helped me get better. I started getting better grades in school, because I was actually going to school for a change, as opposed to just staying at home and sleeping all day.

4. stonedmonkiwana

stonedmonkiwana K9 Handler

pot always did the trick for me... whenever I was feelin down I'd toke it up and feel "good as gold" haha. That's what I love about pot... no matter how you feel before.. as soon as you get high it's a good time.. (for me anyways).

5. Kinky Ramona

Kinky Ramona Back by popular demand!

I probably would be a nervous wreck if I hadn't started smoking soon after I started working at Dairy Queen. Talk about stress...but I have that one little vice waitin on me at home every evening and I come home, get a little toasty, forget my hellish day, then sleep well at night and am perfect for work the next day. When I worked the last job, waaaay less stress, way fewer worries, I didn't smoke, and I'd have a panic attack every night and make myself too sick to work. Weed is great...lol.

6. fitzy21

fitzy21 Worst RT Mod EVAH!!!!

i always do much better when i smoke a good amount - not too much, but a decent amount where i feel nice and happy...then i can work through school work or personal problems.

i dont' get so stressed out when i do smoke, and when i get stressed it leads to me being depressed and yea, i panic and skip classes and such..

7. mamaKCita

mamaKCita fucking stupid.

i always wish i could smoke pot. it freaks me out.

8. seamonster66

seamonster66 discount dracula

It can go both ways for me. It can enhance panic and depression, or make a sunny summer day more blissful

Its effect has evolved as i have as well. I definitely don't enjoy it as often as i once did, but still do every now and then

9. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Marijuana does not cure depression, it sidetracks it and distracts one from it.

You could theoretically hide from your depression (and I'm talking about actual depression here, not Duck's case) for a while through the ganja, but eventually it will catch up to you... in full force, and kick your ass.

At the same time, a marijuana addiction develops, since it turns into the only thing that makes you feel sane. After a while it no longer makes you feel good, it just makes you feel normal... which is still better than depressed.

The only true advice I can give people who battle depression with ganj is... go clean, completely clean... and then figure shit out... try to battle it out by yourself with yourself.

Other than that.... ganja is great. :)

10. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

I thought your girlfriend has mono?

11. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

nope, I'm the one with it

but she's been sick, so they just tested her, results haven't come back yet

but mono wouldn't really make sense, cause it hasn't been long enough from my diagnosis, if I gave her mono, she shouldn't be showing symptoms for at least another week now

12. fitzy21

i wouldn't neccesarily agree that it always sidetracks and distracts everyone...but it does have the potential to

but what i bolded above, thats how i got over a huge hump in battling my depression - i stopped everything (drinking and smoking and snorting opiates), i needed to do that...but now that i faced it head on with a clear head, i dont' see no problem in using pot to help out, it aides in relaxing me like i've never been able to do without being in the pool swimming.

13. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Yeah, ofcourse not everyone...... but heavy pot use mixed with depression is never a good thing in me opinion.

That is the way I battled my depression, went clean... uhhhhhum... completely clean. Worked.

...and yeah, smoking pot once in a while is never a bad thing. Shit, injecting heroin once in a while ain't a bad thing as long as you can keep it to once a month... that's the thing.

14. mortes

mortes Senior Member

Yep moderation is key in all aspects of life, excersize, work, eating, pleasures, etc

Weed did make working easier now that I think about it. Slaving for 9 hours a day sure as hell didn't seem that bad when I'd light a blunt when I got off. Hell that was one of the big things relaxing my muscles and enabling me to work continually every day. Not that I couldn't have done it without weed, but it sure as fuck helped me.

15. Posthumous

Posthumous Resident Smartass

THC mimics a neurotransmitter for contentment, and some people are already too fucking content. And know that the moment a person retires and buys that rocking chair, he/she is putting one foot into the grave.

16. fitzy21

i want a rocking chair :(

17. kitty fabulous

kitty fabulous smoked tofu

I was about to express the same concern with the use of marijuana for treating depression, but BraceSirRuben already said it well.

I am a firm supporter of marijuana/hemp legalization for medical, recreational, and industrial use. However, that doesn't mean I believe that the Mother Herb is harmless. Her gifts are potent, and like all medicines, should be used with wisdom.

I've seen someone I care about with serious depression, spending all day sitting in front of his window with his bong and his beer, not getting any better, and believing he "needed" the weed just to "make it to normal". This was a person with a brilliant, creative mind and lots of talent, who had seen hardship and entered a downwards spiral. He struggled just to keep working as a day laborer, much of the time he just let himself stop caring. This is not a person who was uncaring or lazy by nature. This is a person who is passionate, spiritual, intelligent, and one of the most talented musicians I've ever known. The weed didn't do that to him, the depression did, but his dependency didn't help him or allow him to get any better.

I feel the same about marijuana use for depression as I do about any anti-depressants. Anti-depressants are meant for short-term use under the guidance of a competent professional. They are not meant to "cure" depression, but they can be usefull in dulling extremely intense symptoms enough to allow the patient to break out of the cycle and begin observing his own thoughts. They are not, and never have been, intended as a long-term panacea.

Of the ten years I spent on prozac, I may have needed at most two. I after that, I stagnated and didn't get better until I flushed the prozac (something I would not do now, knowing that flushed prozac is actually a pollutant that does in fact endanger wildlife) and took my healing into my own hands. after I had reached a point where I was no longer paralyzingly overwhelmed with depression and anxiety, I found occupational therapy, cognitive-behavioral therapy, and physical (aerobic) exercise to be amazingly helpful. There are other, more appropriate options than drugs. A drug is not an instant cure for everything. Even depression.

I saw the same cycle of habitual depression and dependency in my friend with his bong that I experienced with the prozac.

18. kitty fabulous

kitty fabulous smoked tofu

I bought a rocking chair when I was pregnant with my second child. when do I get to retire? I haven't had the time to sit in it yet.

19. mamaKCita

mamaKCita fucking stupid.

it's true. retirement is deadly.

that doesn't apply to pregnant women. never did. i loved my rocking chair when i was nursing.

20. s0ma

s0ma Member

Marijuana has worked better for me than any other antidepressant. It's helped me step back from my life and all my situations and really look at them logically, whereas antidepressants have always felt like they're covering something up instead of helping the problem. I'm not sure if weed instead of antidepressants is the "right" thing to do but it certainly does feel better if I don't overdo it.