Man Going Barefoot For A Year For 300 Million People Who Can’t Afford Shoes - Will he learn ???

Discussion in 'Barefoot' started by TheGreatShoeScam, Nov 22, 2018.

1. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

Richard Hudgins, who works at a hair salon in Louisville, has vowed to go barefoot for a year to raise awareness and funds for the estimated 300 million people worldwide who can’t afford shoes, WDRB reported. Hudgins launched his mission last month, just before a snow storm, and has already raised more than $1,000, according to his fundraising page. ...

Since 2007, TOMS has asked its supporters to go just one day each year without shoes to give them a sense of the struggles so many people face.

- Huffington Post

----

There is no comment section but this guy is going to learn real quick that you can function just fine without shoes !! The Idea of people who regularly wear shoes to go barefoot for one day "to give them a sense of the struggles so many people face" is SO INCREDIBLY FLAWED !!! Its downright dishonest.

Its so funny watching tourists try to get across the beach parking lot their feet made so fragile from years atrophying in shoes. These people have no idea that if they just quit wearing shoes for a week or two a humans natural ability to traverse the environment barefoot will quickly return.

Two weeks into this guys barefoot year he will figure out what we all know, shoes themselves create the need to wear shoes. Does anyone doubt this ????

2. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Have you spoken to your doctor about barefooting, or perhaps you think doctors are wrong.

3. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Yeah...

[​IMG]

Irminsul likes this.
  4. goodearth

goodearth Member

What would we do without our many evershifting authorities?

5. Matias

Matias Members

I mean, I'm one of those who can't afford shoes to replace my current single pair that has holes and has all the tread worn down. My shoes are 8 years old and look like they're 59 years old. I'm literally walking on the foam (which is half gone) that the tread WAS attached to.

So I have a pair of shoes, that are in a serious bad shape. This makes me go barefoot a lot.

To be honest, I wish I could afford to replace them. But I can't.

I understand the sentiment of this guy.

Shoes may help you miss out on the perplexities of being barefoot, but they do help protect the foot from harm.

I've stubbed my toe, stepped on thorns and stickers, gotten rocks embedded in my heels way too many times while going barefoot.

I've both loved and hated it. I wish my shoes weren't falling apart every day.

This guy rocks. I hope he finds what he is looking for.

6. goodearth

goodearth Member

Ya, Matias...... it’s always good to have the choice. I have been known to take off a pair of shoes, and give them to a skateboarder whose shoes looked like yours, but there are limitations to the internet. I wish there weren’t.

Matias likes this.
  7. Matias

Matias Members

The internet is still a marvel to me. It's allowed me to make friends and talk to people, something big struggle deeply with in the real world.

Limitations and all, I still love this place :)

goodearth likes this.
  8. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

yeah, one day without shoes is no struggle whatsoever. people will just do it on a day off in the summer when shoes have literally no application anyway.

but there are situations where shoes are appropriate. the most obvious is below freezing temperatures, which i'm pretty sure they do have in louisville. last weekend i did the 150ish yard walk to my apartment complex's laundry room barefoot twice, and it was excruciatingly painful. sure i was fine as soon as i got inside and my feet warmed up, but it really hurt walking across that cold, wet pavement. so much that i put on my boots for the third time i had to make the walk. and it wasn't even all that cold that day, probably high 20s.

9. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

[​IMG]

There are places in the world not so great for going barefoot.

I looked up how much it cost to ship a 40 shipping container to manila Philippines it said about $1700

Payload capacity
    61,200 lbs 2,389 cu ft

Pair of kids shoes about 1lb so if you got donated shoes free which would be easy in the US lets us easy numbers $2000 /60000 0.0333 cents a pair shipped or at least the container across the sea LA to Manilia. Its really sad cause I don't think you could send nice ones cause they would be sold or get stolen.

soulcompromise likes this.
  10. slartibartfas0815

slartibartfas0815 Member

I think there are more people in the same situation than you may think, even in so called rich countries. I'm from Germany and living in quite poor area. Well, I don't see many people walking barefoot here (me and my gf are quite the exception here), but I see people always wearing flip-flops, even now in winter, sometimes with socks. And I see not only a few people wearing broken shoes.

There is one neighbour in her mid 20s I sometimes meet at the supermarket. Since I know her (bout 2 years) she's wearing the same ballet flats everyday. They are super worn out now, she has trouble keeping them on her feet and she often told me she would need to get some new shoes. But everytime she saved some money something else was to be paid for.

So you are not alone!