Man facing 13 years in prison for writing "anti Bank" messages in chalk

Discussion in 'Politics' started by StpLSD25, Jun 29, 2013.

1. StpLSD25

StpLSD25 Senior Member

Jeff Olson of San Diego, was arrested for writing anti bank slogans such as "Big Banks, No thanks" with washable childrens chalk.. he now faces 13 counts of vandalism and the judge blocked him from using the freedom of speech for his defense!! This country is a JOKE!!!

http://rt.com/usa/chalk-olson-diego-san-404/

2. slappysquirrel

slappysquirrel Senior Member

if i was the judge i'd throw that out like nobody's business

what happened to the 1st amendment?

3. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

This is the scariest part:

4. roamy

roamy Senior Member

he was just telling the truth,hows that classed as a crime

5. Summerhill

Summerhill Member

Thats gona get thrown out on appeal. Crazy !

6. BlueLightRain

BlueLightRain Member

I sure hope so! We don't need a precedent like that around.

7. StpLSD25

StpLSD25 Senior Member

This is the government that's being ushered in. They are trying to scare the people into submission. That's why they are fully charging whistle blowers with espionage... It's just an excuse to arrest honorable people.. Snowden/Manning only exposed American War crimes, this is free speech and is protected therein..

8. deleted

deleted Visitor

I spray paint peoples houses I dont like/ "buy crack here".. usually they demolish the house after its vacant. works for me.. :)

9. StpLSD25

StpLSD25 Senior Member

You shouldn't have any problems providing that you don't target any bankers and/or financial industries :policeman:

America Works For Businesses! :patriot:

10. odonII

odonII O

1. This is a graffiti case where the defendant is alleged to have engaged in the conduct on 13 different occasions. The trial judge has already held that, under California law, it is still graffiti even if the material can be removed with water. Most graffiti can be removed. Also, the judge and a different pre-trial judge held that the First Amendment is not a defense to vandalism/graffiti. 2. The defense is trying to make this case into a political statement, which it is not. This is just one of some 20,000 criminal cases that are referred to us annually by the police department. We have prosecutors who decide whether to issue cases. They are professionals. The City Attorney was not involved in deciding whether to issue this case as is typical practice in prosecution offices for most cases. He hadn't heard of this case until it was in the media. 3. The defense is whipping up hysteria about the prospect of 13 years in custody. This is not a 13 year custody case. It is a standard graffiti case compounded by the fact that the defendant is alleged to have done it on 13 separate occasions. Because there were 13 different occasions when the defendant allegedly engaged in the conduct, the law requires them to be set out separately in the complaint. This increases the maximum sentence, but it still is a graffiti case and nothing more. The courts routinely hear graffiti cases and handle them appropriately using judicial discretion. 4. It is not unusual for victims to contact police or prosecutors about a case. Our prosecutors are trained to focus only on their ethical standards in deciding whether to file a case. 5. We prosecute vandalism and theft cases regardless of who the perpetrator or victim might be. We don't decide, for example, based upon whether we like or dislike banks. That would be wrong under the law and such a practice by law enforcement would change our society in very damaging ways.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/25/jeff-olson-california-banks_n_3499177.html

11. SunshineChild

SunshineChild Mad Scientist

You're paranoid. It's just because there's 13 counts... He will get probation and have to pay restitution, and why shouldn't he? He defaced someone else's property..

12. StpLSD25

StpLSD25 Senior Member

This is a total waste of tax payer money! and CHALK is not graffiti!

The REAL reason he was arrested was what he said.

13. StpLSD25

StpLSD25 Senior Member

He did not! This is government rhetoric! He drew with washable chalk on a public sidewalk!

By your logic, let's arrest every kid who ever drew with chalk

14. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

15. slappysquirrel

slappysquirrel Senior Member

i will say it was a public sidewalk, but yeah it possibly was graffitti

16. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I see kids drawing on sidewalks all the time with chalk. Better throw those little vandals in the slammer too. If this guy does a MINUTE in jail--it proves that we have the same justice system as China or Saudi Arabia. What in the fuck is going on? (he asks rhetorically)

17. SunshineChild

SunshineChild Mad Scientist

I didn't write the law. He broke it. There's nothing political about it. The writing on the sidewalks is for the electric poles and fire hydrants and such. Therefore he has hindered city official business by writing on the sidewalk. Boohoo. He won't get jail, he probably won't even get fines. Go put your political conspiracy theory with the NSA topics where they really belong.

18. roamy

roamy Senior Member

:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

19. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

Whether or not the story has blown up because it's an easy beacon for anti-government hysteria; this is still a really fucked up event and a really fucked up law.

20. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I'd like to see where there's a law against writing with chalk on a sidewalk. Official city business,my ass. What exactly would it take to offend some of you people? OOOOOOOO-wrote with chalk on a sidewalk. Next thing you know -he'll be blowing shit up. With dairy creamer. pftt.