Malware/hacking/etc.

Discussion in 'Computers and The Internet' started by CrazybutLazy, Apr 9, 2007.

1. CrazybutLazy

CrazybutLazy Banned

It pisses me of so much! I've had to deal with trojans, rootkits, spyware, you name it! I think the penalty for writing any kind of malware code with intent to use it/upload it to the internet or even put it on removable media to put on somebodies computer should have much steeper charges and fines. Intruding into someone's system without their permission should constitute charges of trespassing, destruction of private property, vandalism, and if any kind of anti-malware programs are disabled it should be a charge of breaking and entering. I used to have a friend that would go war driving/hack, and would write malicious code "for research purposes," (bullshit). I found out about how how he does these things and how frequently he does them and, needless to say, I'm no longer his friend and will never communicate with him again. I went as far as to block his static IP address on my firewall. These people are no less criminals than thieves, robbers, and vandals, and they should be treated as such. I just needed to vent about this because I'm really pissed off about the fact that now I have to deal with a trojan on two different computers in my house because it made it across the network from one to the other.

2. sentient

sentient Senior Member

just turn off "system restore" on both computers (right click my computer - properties)
    then prevent system restore from loading as a service - then get rid of the trojan
    on both computers

3. CrazybutLazy

CrazybutLazy Banned

I've already turned off system restore on both computers. Thanks anyway.

4. ~peace~

~peace~ Senior Member

my avice: get a mac.

i have no virus protection, i download random stuff, and have had no problems (its very very hard to make malware for macs)

5. CrazybutLazy

CrazybutLazy Banned

I keep saying I'm gunna switch to linux but I'm still too lazy, even though just using Windows is probably more work than setting up linux.

6. sentient

sentient Senior Member

dont be so lazy then you wouldnt get all these bugs

7. CrazybutLazy

CrazybutLazy Banned

I did stop being lazy, sentient. Im currently running Ubuntu, and I love it, except for the fact that I cant seem to put a ' between two letters. I set up a dual boot in case I ever want to play one of my many computer games, but Ubuntu works great for everything else.

8. Adderall_Assasin

Adderall_Assasin Senior Member

you cant put this symbol?
    that would mean your keyboard layout is wrong. just tell it you US standard (or something like that).

9. CrazybutLazy

CrazybutLazy Banned

Yeah, I can only put that before certain letters, it seems. Itś set to US something right now. Iĺl go try out some other configurations. Thanks Adderall.

10. cricketlind

cricketlind Member

Glad you stopped being so Lazy. Ubuntu has its limitations but those are fast getting fixed in each new release. It kicks Microsoft butt anyday of the week. Linux Rocks.

Hooray for Penguin Power!!!

Peace, Cricket

11. Metallideth

Metallideth Sir

A few years ago, that would have been decent advice. The amount of issues with macs are steadily increasing though, and I've personally had a ton of problems with a disappearing/inactive login screen.

12. Adderall_Assasin

Adderall_Assasin Senior Member

i have never seen this problem. actually, my mac has never had a single problem that was the fault of the hardware or OS. not ever once in almost 2 years. i had a problem with an Alpha Testing program once but my mac didnt crash or do wat you are saying.

Mac has really good programmers working for them. you might could say they are the best. and when you combine the best programmers, the best Operating System (BSD/Mach), and one of the best programming languages, the results are good.

13. raysun

raysun D4N73_666 4861786f72

I wonder what the beta Longhorn has in store maybe it will be as bad as vista....

14. dodger988

dodger988 Member

Sigh... You don't understand the hacker ethos. It's not about destruction. It's about figuring stuff out. It's about figuring out a way to get into something your not supposed to. It's not malicious at all (well at least white hats). It's the thrill of learning something new that motivates hackers.

15. CrazybutLazy

CrazybutLazy Banned

I understand that completely.

16. dodger988

dodger988 Member

Yeah, sorry. I guess I was in a grumpy mood when I posted that.

17. CrazybutLazy

CrazybutLazy Banned

Don't worry about it. [​IMG]