male witches

Discussion in 'Paganism' started by deadonceagain, Jan 12, 2005.

1. deadonceagain

deadonceagain mankind is a plague

i was woundering why there is such a small number of male witches all the people that i know of that are witches are females i see a bunch of people wearing pentagrams and 3/4 of them dont know what they mean.

2. Sebbi

Sebbi Senior Member

I know a fair few witches and about 3/4 of them are male. From my experience female witches don't make a thing about keeping quite about it, so I'm not suprised you would think that.

Blessings

Sebbi

3. Feawen

Feawen Member

Well, another side of it is that I know a guy who was a witch, but he was into the hex side of things. He's a mad guy. But he doesn't have time for witch stuff anymore.

Yeah, it's a bit hard for a guy to explain that witch isn't female! *shrug* It's just their choice if they want to tell anyone, or participate in a coven.

4. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

A lot of people wear that pentagram w/o knowing the meaning, I agree... much like a lot of those rapper guys wear a crusifix which I'm sure is more of a fashion statement more than anything.

Now, this is just a guess, but I think that maybe the reason why most Wiccans are female is because of the connection to the Goddess is more emphasized than the one with the God... I suppose this really appeals to women more so then men (in all honesty, that's what first brought me to Wicca)... just a guess....

5. Kiz

Kiz Member

In my experience there are about equal numbers of both, but as an above poster commented, women are more vocal about it, particularly to strangers.

6. ForestNymphe

ForestNymphe Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Hmm, I know quite a few male witches and find most community gatherings pretty balanced. Perhaps it's just location. I do think cerridwen has a good point though.
    I will say this. The hottest Beltane rite I ever attended, two men were blessing each other and I tell ya, everyone in that circle was sweating. Whoowee! I think perhaps it was the single most electric act of power I have ever had the honor to witness.

7. the zen-man puck

the zen-man puck Member

I male witch, well more pagan then witch. but usually the reason why I think there is less male witches out there because other guys making-fun or beating them and most guys dont see guys doing spells and such as something manly.

8. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

very true....