Making new drugs

Discussion in 'Drug Chemistry' started by otb01, May 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. otb01

otb01 Member

This field has always intrigued me and I have always wanted to make a new drug... How would one go about doing this?

2. Get a Ph.D in medicinal chemistry. Well thats one way.

3. otb01

otb01 Member

I know, but I dont remember asking for a sarcastic, dickhead response. Did I?

Anyways, I have always been interested in that. I mean, many drugs are discovered by accident by people without PhDs.

4. Fallout55

Fallout55 Banned

Didn't sound sarcastic to me... Isnt that there job, and you said it interested you so why not work in your field of interest?

I can't think of how you would go about doing it otherwise, unless its by compleate accident.

5. otb01

otb01 Member

Well, I was thinking of synthesizing analogues/relatives of current substances and testing them. But thats incredibly risky.

6. Wilson

Wilson Member

Even people who make new drugs without PhDs are probably smart enough to get one. You can't just invent a new drug by mixing a couple chemicals together...its not an easy thing to do.

At least he didn't ask how to make acid or something :rolleyes:

7. otb01

otb01 Member

Well, I know that. I know a decent amount about chemistry. I also know that chemically related analogues of substances often behave in the same way as well as the fact that a substance must have a molar mass of less than 500 to pass the blood brain barrier so that's where I was starting. What I was hoping is that I could think of some ideas and look into how they metabolize first.

Hey at least I'm not coming into this with no experience whatsoever.

8. Wilson

Wilson Member

Yeah, you don't seem stupid like 3/4 of the people who post on these forums. I support you 100% though in your quest for a new drug haha...I was just saying that it isn't going to be easy. Pm me if you ever need a test subject :)

9. branflakes

branflakes Member

Take courses in chemistry. Lots... and psychopharmacology.

10. otb01

otb01 Member

Does anyone here have experience testing drugs for toxicity on, say, rats? I don't support animal testing (I'm a Hindu) but at the same time in some cases it is necessary...

11. eman resu

eman resu Senior Member

If your really 37 your a pretty dumb 37 year old.

12. otb01

otb01 Member

Why so?

13. Something like n,propyl-2c-b probably has never been synthed, but that's because it's not likely active. Most of the simple (in relative terms) ones with obvious potential are already taken, be prepared for years of chemistry and pharmacology.

14. Shocbomb

Shocbomb Member

Probably the easiet Way to make a new Drug would ne to make a synthetic opiate derivative, pretty much just making a new more powerful opiate buy rearranging the molecules,there are more new opiates that are made then anything else, But a new opiate is really not a new drug its has the same affects as all other opiates but just more powerful or it will just have a longer Half life etc, But to make a whole new Drug that has effects that no one has ever felt is pretty much trial and error with experiments and a whole lot of luck and knowledge of chemistry, Most drugs were found buy accident. A chemist was trying to make one thing and made a new drug. There could be a fucking plant or weed in your back yard that could be a drug for all we know. It justcomes down to knowing chemistry having the funds to run your test and trial and error and alot of luck ?

15. otb01

otb01 Member

Bingo. Exactly what I was thinking down to the exact word.

16. otb01

otb01 Member

[​IMG]

I got the inspiration from Salvinorin A and Codeine....... Just an idea. I don't know if the stereos will work out that way but it's an idea.

17. Shocbomb

Shocbomb Member

otb01- So did you think of any Ideas yet. I would like to be a test subject when you are done. LOL

18. uplink

uplink Member

Honestly, read every single organic chemistry book you can get your hands on. Read. Read. Read.

Start with simply chemical extractions etc.

The I'd start learning how to make precursors.

If I were you I'd do something more useful, like extracting alkaloids from plants etc. At least start with that.

If you can get some pure Leonurine powder (in dagga/marihuilla and many other plants), then maybe I'll have faith in you... but not much.

Don't expect to make new compounds for at least 3 years. AT LEAST. Be realistic. If you can't make acid, 2c-b and MDMA you probably can't synth your own drugs.

And what ever you do, don't buy a sketchy precursor. Always make your own. Don't buy safrole, methylamine etc.

19. Shocbomb

Shocbomb Member

uplink- Great advice, and like you say you got to know how to make drugs that are already around like LSD, PCP ,Synthetic opidos,MDMA and others first to make any thing new. I would think that would be the first step then you could branch out from there ?

20. otb01

otb01 Member

Shocbomb - look above.
    Uplink - I've been doing bay leaf extractions. Been working good for me. I have been able to create a resinous extract which I am sure contains the extracts that I've been feeling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.