Making an ANTI-WAX video :)

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by ThePmiester, Feb 13, 2009.

1. WorldPeace

WorldPeace Senior Member

I've got some pics of waxy dreads (so this is backcombed, crocheted with wax)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. amybird

amybird Senior Member

Crocheting really creates quite a specific texture doesn't it. I'm still a little unclear on how it's done. So you backcomb the hair, then what? Isn't it very fiddly and time-consuming? Is anyone good enough at doodling to illustrate the process of crocheting? I can visualise how one might tidy up the odd stray hair with a crochet hook, but can't envisage the full-on crochet method. (Sorry...this isn't what this thread was about, so feel free to answer this in a fresh thread :) )

3. Samee

Samee Member

deffo agree with that! id never heard of using wax for dreadlocks till i started researching them for my boyfriend, i was going to buy him some but luckily i was skint! he didnt want it anyway. then when i wanted them i re-researched, and found this forum before i brought any. yay!

4. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Senior Member

worldpeace damn that looks bad
    i know ya ended up with beautiful dreads but wow what a bad begining (no offence meant ofcourse, you posted them because u knew it was bad)
    amy, yea thats 1 of my issues with crochet, it sdoes create a very specificly woven techyture very different from natural dreads that makes it so you must continue crochetting forewver unless u want a distinct difference between the crochetted and the uncrocheded sections

also, u notice the extreme amounts of loose hairs and frizz? every hair u suck in with the hook breaks dozzens or more which masy find theyre way out, so it becomes a nmever ending process trying to fix the dammage caused by tyrying to fix the dammage
    it really is best to just never start

it can for a week or so make them look perfectly tidy but then when u wash out pop allthe loose hairs and u gotta start all over again

when that pic was taken with all those loose hairs, youd probly already sucked in each and everryt loose hair what..20-100 times and yet theres so many? i assume it was only 20-100 because of the wax i guess it was early in the journey, in the 1st year or so

5. WorldPeace

WorldPeace Senior Member

oh that's not my dreads :p I didn't use wax

6. SethHasDreads

SethHasDreads Member

heres a video of it being done.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrYVa9sXcDM

7. soaringeagle

whoa thats the 1st time i ever saw thast done butr ..am i crazy or does it look like that hooks nearly 1/4 the thickness of the dread itself?
    that cant be good

8. amybird

amybird Senior Member

That all happened way too quick lol...need to find a vid showing it slower and more close-up. Looks kinda nifty though.

9. soaringeagle

its funny how even though her dreads a foot long or longer it still stanfds straight out...lol

10. soaringeagle

11. amybird

amybird Senior Member

So with that backcombing or twist-and-rip followed by crocheting, the dreads look quite secure afterwards. Do you think they'd hold up quite well to washing and lock reasonably fast?

12. SethHasDreads

SethHasDreads Member

heres a better video.
    its slower than the first and its closer.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBsMipXJDC8

from what ive read about the crocheting, they just poke the hook in and pull it out all over the dread.
    no actual crocheting done.

13. soaringeagle

well crochetting can make the dread look neat and tight from a distance for a week
    but you are poking hundreds of holes through a dread each hole breaks hairs
    the dread will hold together through a wash because u pulled hairs all the way through..but you also broke hundreds of hairs too so when u wash alot pop out the frizz becomes way more then usual
    you pull in all those loose hairs again for a week u look perfect thenu wash and even more loose hairs poop out again you repair the dammage causing more dammage and it becomes a weekly ritual wsdh crochjet wash crochet wash crocjhet
    the dread gets a woven look not a natural matted look but a deliberately woven look
    new growth at the roots feel didfferent when squeezed (no broken hairs rubbing against eachother, as some describe it the woven parts feel like they squeek when swqueezed, broken ends rubbing eachother)_
    the new growth not only feels different biut looks different too (especialy up close)
    so again out comes the hook to make the new growth look and feel like the rest
    it becomes a nevrer ending process
    ask wp she started hers with crochet
    its been whst 5 or 8 years now and she still crochetts regularly

whats the point? except that once you start you gotta continue or you will look like u got extentions on the ends of real dreads
    that or the dammage from ther very 1szt time doing it will make your dreads extra fuzzy once u stop

14. soaringeagle

wth? he was sewing thread into the ends?

doesnt enough thread and fuzz get stuck in em without intentionaly putting it in?
    the things some ppl will do ..lol

15. chemigals

chemigals They call me Chemi

Yeah well some ppl are obsessed with 'neat' dreads.
    Personally I like the whispy and random bits that stick out its makes them unique.

16. soaringeagle

me tooooo im all about each and every dread being like nol other dread on earth

17. amybird

amybird Senior Member

lol it's not often you're that sarcastic - it looks funny :p

18. WorldPeace

WorldPeace Senior Member

ghehe,

I know some people who make dreadlocks which are so tight, it won't come loose, the hair has no possible way to move. I show pictures some time ago.

But I used to make dreadlocks too, the ones I made (also with crocheting) did have room to move.

19. amybird

amybird Senior Member

20. amybird

amybird Senior Member

If the regrowth is not maintained following the same method...even though the difference in texture becomes apparent, is it really really so awful-looking? You often say so, soaringeagle; are there any pics you could back it up with?

omg I've just realised the massive derail...I'm really sorry for turning this into the crochet thread!! lol :(:eek: