Made to Love Magic

Discussion in 'UK Music Forum' started by Spyder, May 27, 2004.

1. Spyder

Spyder La dah de dah

[​IMG]

I dont know if anyone know, but this is the new nick drake release compiled of Rare songs, one previously undescovered one, and demo's of songs from the three nick drakes first album five leaves left

Its a good album, and any nick drake fan will love it, it is however realised purely on the back of his rising fame over the last year or so. Like any artist, their now flogging his legacy for some money.

I wouldnt say that this is his best ever work, naturally its nick drake so im impressed, but its not his best, but beautiful music all the same, i think some of the songs have had the quality improoved and been taken off the bootleg tamworth-on-arden.

2. bokonon

bokonon Senior Member

I hadn't heard about it, was only a matter of time before someone started cashing in on growing Drake recognition. I've noticed a couple of his songs springing up on television adverts too.

At least it wont get to the stage we see with Bob Marley or Jimi Hendrix, there just aren't enough songs recorded.

Naturally a Drake fan such as myself wants to hear it, but if they were to make the bootleg you speak of available, I'd choose that over the revamped version.

3. Spyder

Spyder La dah de dah

Accually when the website nickdrake.net was around you could download it from there, i downloaded a few tracks, it was really really awfully recorded, because he taped it all onto a one track at his home in tamworth. His parents when they were still alive were extreamly saddened by it becoming a bootleg, because the quality really doesnt repressent nick drake at the level he should be repressented at.

4. bokonon

bokonon Senior Member

:( Deary, just how awful was it?!

I suppose home recordings becoming bootlegs posthumously could be upsetting for his family, on the 'invasion of privacy' side of it. But to be honest I'd rather hear how it sounded when he played it, not now it's been made all crisp and clear with optional dolby surround and whatnot :)

And I get that he probably would have cleaned it up himself when he got to the studio. But that's completely differant, God knows how a modern day producer could have messed it up. And dare I say added or taken something away from it.

Like I said, worth the listen definitely. But with Nick having no input I'd rather go back to the utter awful basics. And obvisouly no one knows how his parents would feel about this latest invasion.

5. Spyder

Spyder La dah de dah

They havent ruined the album essentially through production, i mean, its still nick, they've just made it listenable, and stereo quality.

It is interesting, it features an electric guitar playing what would a flute on the album version of "thoughts of mary jane" which is very different, an early version of the later song that featured on the album

Its definately worth a listen, i just think their trying to make some money through it. which is a shame

6. Spyder

Spyder La dah de dah

Accually im just listening to the early/rare version of three hours, and its pretty amazing, really charged with emotion!

very good indeed!