Maastricht

Discussion in 'Amsterdam' started by NCF145, Jun 14, 2004.

1. NCF145

NCF145 Member

I will be studying abroad during the fall in Maastricht which is in the Netherlands right between Belgium and Germany. I know this isn't regarding Amsterdam, but I figured this would be the best place to inquire about the city. So, I have two questions: is it a fun city and what is there to do there?

2. marko

marko Member

Hi there - I was in Maastricht a few days ago for a very short time.

It is a very nice place and there are some decent eateries and bars. Obviously it is not as raucous or lively as Amsterdam but there is fun to be had. The beers are a little cheaper that 'Dam, and there is also a good selection of coffeeshops selling at much better prices than 'Dam.

Didn't have time for much exploring - looks an okay place but I don't think I'd want to be around for more than a couple of days.

3. velvet

velvet Banned

It's a nice city, but different from Amsterdam indeed. It has a somewhat 'cosy' feeling, somewhat more 'posh' as well.. can't really discribe it, now I think of it :) So.. well.. it's totally different, but it's still in the Netherlands so it's okay :p

You'll be like 2,5 hours away from Amsterdam, by train, so you can check out the differences yourself! :) Have fun!

4. moonshade

moonshade Member

I like maastricht. Its one of those cities worth taking a daytrip to in the netherlands.
    It lies almost in belgium and germany and in my opinion a bit more belgian influenced. They speak dutch in a weird accent. :) Its an outdoor city with plenty of terraces when the weather is good. And like marko said, beer and eateries use dutch prices and not foreign tourist prices. You will be close to the drielandenpunt, literally the 3 countries point and it might be a bit silly but if you stand on it you will be in the netherlands belgium and germany in the same time. And you will also be on the highest point of the netherlands :D
    The south is notorious about its love for beer. And when there is carnival everybody dresses up like an idiot, has a party on silly music and gets so drunk of belgian beer they cant walk home anymore.
    Have fun there.

5. moonshade

moonshade Member