LSD and Tibetan Monks

Discussion in 'Buddhism' started by TrippinBTM, Jan 4, 2005.

1. TrippinBTM

TrippinBTM Ramblin' Man

I heard that in the 60s some Tibetan monks were given LSD, but it didn't affect them because they were somehow beyond that sort of thing. Does anyone have any info on this, as to whether it's true and some information about the tests and results?

2. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

Don't know about that - but Richard Alpert, aka Ram Dass, leary's co-worker in the 60's gave it to Maharaji, his Indian guru. Its described in the book 'Grist for the mill'.

Evidently, Maharaji just huddled under his blanket for a while, and than emerged smiling. He told Ram Dass, if memory serves, that it was ok - this could allow one to bow down to christ. He added the usual stuff about it not being a permanant state etc.

3. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

That's the only place I've heard of this also, Maybe in Be Here Now too.

4. Spacer

Spacer 'Enlighten yourself'

I know early Taoist monks used to ingest hallucinagenics (sp?) as part of rituals but never heard of this with Tibetan monks.

5. thumontico

thumontico Member

AlphaTheta waves or just Theta waves are associated with both meditation and hallucinogenic drugs like LSD and Shrooms.

6. Sebbi

Sebbi Senior Member

I thought you were going to say something else there.

I was in the mood for a rant along the lines of "I don't care if you want to take drugs, but don't try to get religion to back you up on it."

Blessings

Sebbi

7. thumontico

thumontico Member

You thought I would say something like that?

8. tiki_god7

tiki_god7 Member

In Ram Dass's book 'Paths to God' he talks more about giving his guru lsd...I think he describes it as though its all just reality is all just consciousness and lsd opens you to a different level of it....his maharajji existed in a state of the One or ultimate consciousness he existed on all levels and was all the levels.

some theorirists believe that religions started from the psychelic experience. I know one theory states that the earliest yogi's lived in an area where a psychelic mushroom was common, they had experiences of god and from that developed hatha yoga to achieve the states of consciousness without the plant. Another beleives that at the Last Supper the 'bread' that was the flesh of Jesus was actually a type of mushroom that resembled a pita bread and was known for its taste and effects. Throughtout mexico and south america mushrooms are known as 'flesh of the gods'.....

9. Mui

Mui Senior Member

it does sound like one of those buddhist tales that arent really true... and there are lots of them... albeit they have their purposes. if the monk did take acid and truly was not effected by it... than it was not acid... simple as that... the monk got ripped off.

10. Sebbi

Sebbi Senior Member

Not neccarsarily, but that's what you learn to expect on this forum when a post has that title.

Blessings

Sebbi

11. tiki_god7

tiki_god7 Member

not neccessarily what?

12. goldmund

goldmund Member

this thread has earlier roots:
    http://hipforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57360

I like the one about the guru saying it allows one to bow down to Christ! About it not being a permenant state, neither is meditation. I know you can and should be able to always place yourself in that trancendental mind, but eventually you return to the world.

This problem was addressed by Hesse in Sidhartha, but I just started the book, so I don't know how it will be resolved.

All this begs the questions of when you return to the mindset of the psychedelic experience without psychedelics, are you returning to a psychedelic state, or to a meditative one. I belive its the later.

13. TrippinBTM

TrippinBTM Ramblin' Man

Actually, I posted them on the same day at about the same time. I wanted to get a varied response from both sides of the issue, drugs and buddhism.

14. tiki_god7

tiki_god7 Member

yeah I definatly like the answers you got from both sides...it seems as though people with faith in a religion don't want to hear anything about a chemical being able to do what years of meditation does

15. Sebbi

Sebbi Senior Member

Maybe I should have included:

Then you would've got it.

Sebbi

16. Spinor

Spinor Member

There is nothing unique or 'preferred" about meditation, and its effect on consciousness, that cannot be attained by other means as well.

There is nothing unique or 'preferred' about chemical effects on consciousness either.

There are aways an infinite number of linear combinations of effects and means which will combine to a specific result.

Take your pick......

17. mother_nature's_son

mother_nature's_son Member

Somehow I doubt that you are very familiar with what years of meditation does. I've heard it put this way...
    Psychedelics rush you to the top of the mountain, and then throw you down.
    Meditation is a long journey to the peak, where you are able to remain.

Are you sure of this? Do you have neurobiological and psychological research to back this up?

18. tiki_god7

tiki_god7 Member

Psychedelics rush you to the top of the mountain, and then throw you down.
    Meditation is a long journey to the peak, where you are able to remain.

I think you just rephrased what I said....psychedelics lets you briefly see what years of meditation will do...briefly being the key word here.

19. goldmund

goldmund Member

Everything I have ever seen, experienced, etc. while under the influence of psychedelics has always been immediately accessible to me whenever I needed it. It taught me how to live, feel, and see. Don't get me wrong, people who meditate, in fact anyone can have access to that world. You don't need psychedelics, or even years of meditation. As Christ said, "the Kingdom of Heaven is upon you", you just need to realize it. There is more than one way to do so.

20. mother_nature's_son

mother_nature's_son Member

Oh ok, well that clarification changes alot. Must have been the way it was first phrased.