LSD and Melatonin

Discussion in 'LSD - Acid Trips' started by azygous420, Jan 15, 2008.

1. azygous420

azygous420 Member

Has anyone tried taking melatonin with LSD?

I personally have never done LSD but I have experimented with a wide array of other psychedelics. I have been doing a lot of personal research now on the chemical melatonin and the signs seem now more then coincidental. From my experiences with psilocybin mushrooms and things like slavia and marijuana I have found very interesting parallels in effects.

-First to note is the dream like state accompanied by the slowing of time perception.

- Second is the open eye visuals and expansion of the imagination

- Third to note is the dilation of the eyes and the brain's production of melatonin despite the presence of light.

-Forth is the new perception

I believe that the first two can be explained by the chemical melatonin, and the last two by the replacement of serotonin with the various psychedelic or cannabinoid.

-Melatonin is created by the brain when it’s dark to tell it to go to sleep because it’s dark when it is night out. It tells the brain to switch from consciousness to the unconscious perception. This results in dreams and a slowed perception of time. (1 of 4)

-LSD and many other psychedelics are similar to serotonin and act on the same part of the human brain in the 5-HT receptors. This is where serotonin plays out the majority of its roles regulating consciousness and stimuli. It also effects how melatonin is enacted in its roles.

It would make since that when LSD takes the place of serotonin in the brain that it subjects melatonin to work in different ways. One of the ways it affects the role of melatonin is the prevention of its main role in aiding in sleep. Instead it seems to skip the falling asleep step and goes right to bringing on the dreaming mind and the distortion of time perception (particularly the slowing of time).

-The open eye visuals can be explained by the premature (while still awake) connecting to the dreaming mind. It seems to trick the mind into to believing its asleep thus the dilation of the eyes and the continued production of melatonin during the psychedelic experience. (2 and 3 of 4)

-The new waking perception can easily be explained by the supplementation of LSD or psilocybin for serotonin in the brain, but to fully explain this takes a vocabulary beyond my own. (4 of 4)

Next to note are the benefits of the melatonin chemical. First of all it’s an antioxidant which is highly important in the repair of DNA and the maintaining of the immune system. It would make perfect since that Dr. Albert Hofmann has lived to see 102, solely from his experiences with LSD and the large increase in melatonin he would gain from this.

-Supplemental melatonin has been shown to combat cancer, Alzheimer’s, slows or kills tumors, and even increase lifespan in many studies up to %20.

See any connections to the benefit of marijuana? Fights cancer, tumors, Alzheimer’s, could it increase lifespan? Could LSD be beneficial physically to take? It would appear so if it largely increases melatonin levels.

(Some things you might want to read)
    http://www.erowid.org/smarts/melatonin/melatonin_info.shtml

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2007-11-29-night-shift-cancer_N.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melatonin (Read Dreaming)

One question I have yet to test: Would melatonin increase the effects of LSD? I would have to say that it would but I have not experimented with this yet. If any of you have please let me know how it went. If not it might be a good thing to try, and if it doesn't do anything at least its good for your health.

1 person likes this.
  2. azygous420

azygous420 Member

Sorry if it seems dumb for me to post on the LSD section without having tried it but I just want to lay out what I've gathered in my research, and to see if anyone can help me piece together these things. But I believe that all psychedelics inevitably lead to the same connection the dreaming mind and conscious mind through simultaneously manipulating serotonin (consciousness regulator) and melatonin (what I believe to be the unconscious regulator). Any opinions or views on the LSD experience would be helpful even if you think I’m not correct at all.

3. soothskater

soothskater Member

From what I understand melatonin occurs naturally in the body and has to do with sleeping. I know that my mom told me to take these melatonin pills once to help me sleep, it worked. As far as your little theory, it sounds interesting, not too sure myself if melatonin would increase the effects or not, however more LSD will! LoL. Anyways, there's only one way to find out..

4. FreeEverything

FreeEverything Member

Try high doses of Melatonin alone. Start at 10 mg and move it up to where your comfortable. It's really great stuff :)

5. soothskater

soothskater Member

won't it just make you fall asleep??

6. azygous420

azygous420 Member

Well thats the thing is melatonin normally will make you fall asleep because serotonin is doing it job. But you know how its really hard to fall asleep while tripping? I think its because serotonin is displaced by the active chemical, and the melatonin in the brain being produced already while tripping can't be put to that use. So yes 10mg of melatonin normally will make you sleep but, I don't think it would do the same while your tripping or else you would pass out from the higher then normal levels it is already making just from taking things like LSD and Mushies.

7. AliceJabberwocky

AliceJabberwocky Guest

So I notice that this post is a couple of years old, but I'm trying out the effects of melatonin and one and a half hit of paper LSD. The visuals are nice and a little more noticable than what it usually feels like. Overall, it's given my trip a light kick. Can't complain at all.

8. oguz

oguz Guest

Hey,

Don't do it. Yesterday I took 12 mgs of melatonin to go to bad then I ended up taking a couple drops. I was nasty. I felt sleepy all the way and trip was not really good. It was a waste of time, acid and melatonin...

9. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

post was from 4 years ago

10. upperlevel

upperlevel Member

I think it was useful information and he might as well not start a new thread and re-explain everything.

11. BenofMen

BenofMen Members

So this topic is obviously old and many may have formed own experiences/theories. Melatonin is a very fickle thing, and everyone reacts differently to it. Some people take 3mg and it wrecks them. I've personally taken 400mg+ for two weeks straight. When I took it at night, the dreams were intense. If I took it during the day, it leveled my head, made me docile and feel relaxed, which can also be bad if you have to do physical work. There is only a chance for liver disease for insanely prolonged use or if you are just that unlucky. Most of what I've heard with lsd and melatonin is that it's better coming down, although scattered reports of a stronger trip have been made. Most negative effects are likely people who can't handle the melatonin, or simply had a bad trip.

12. SwiftOnPsychs

SwiftOnPsychs Members

Christ, 400mg is insane to me. Most I've done is 40mg, that was just for sleep issues.

13. Occ

Occ Members

Me and my mates were microdosing on lsd just to chill about, when we went off to bed we took about 5mg of melatonin. About half an hour later it took the acid from micro dosing to full on tripping and lasted a solid 8 hours. Would reccomend to try but might be different for everyone else

14. trypp

trypp Trypp was the tryppiest trypper to ever trypp

I did it about a month ago, and let me tell you, the visuals are intense. Granted, I did also add weed to the mix, but the visuals were like something out of a hippie flip but much more vivid patterns. I watched in my buddies car as the patterns shaped and twisted, and formed new ones. I remember going to this place near the mountains and just watching the sun come up. The mountains were so beautiful, and I was watching them bob back and forth while the sun slowly rose over them. All the while seeing insane visuals. Granted I took around 80 mg of melatonin. 1 Hit of some decent LSD, and about 6 joints and a bong. One for the Erowid vaults for sure!

~Zen~ likes this.
  15. ShroomINTHEroom

ShroomINTHEroom Newbie

Onit melatonin spray + a tab = happy chill camper