low sun plants

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by patrick7171, Apr 28, 2007.

1. patrick7171

patrick7171 Member

Hi, I have a patio which doesn't get much sunlight, can anyone recommend a good type of flower or plant for it that won't die from lack of sun?

thanks in advance

2. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

If you're after color impatients can make an impact.

3. sweetersappe

sweetersappe Member

Some vining plants will do well in shade. There are always hostas and coleus. If you are planting in pots, many houseplants will be happy to spend the summer outside, you just need to check for bugs before you bring them back inside.

4. homeschoolmama

homeschoolmama Senior Member

I've got Bleeding Heart, Hostas & Ferns along my VERY shady side of the house. Bluebells & Forget-me-Not's are supposed to thrive in shade too, but for some reason they haven't taken to my yard... I'm guessing that I've got too much clay in my soil though, so that shouldn't be a problem for most people.

Now that my kids are old enough for me to plant a few poinonous plants, I've been considering Lily of the Valley, Lady's Mantle or Solomon's Seal for color. A few other options I haven't looked into much but my mom (a Master Gardener) recommended for my yard are: Lungwort, Periwinkle & Vinca.

And if you've got any sun at all, my mom LOVES Astilbes & Rhododendrons in her part-shade gardens & I know they're also very easy to grow.
    love,
    mom

5. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

Begonias will add some color too.