lovecraftian horror

Discussion in 'Horror Movies' started by autophobe2e, Sep 11, 2012.

1. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

what are your favourite lovecraftian horror movies? , could be inspired by (alien, the thing, in the mouth of madness) or direct adaptation (re-animator, from beyond, call of cthulhu, the resurrected.)

depends how strict you are with the "inspired by" thing, but i'd argue in favour of hellraiser(2), the thing, re-animator, ghostbusters (lol)

probably a fair few more but my minds a blank.

2. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

You’ll find no bigger fan of H.P Lovecraft which is why I have been so disappointed the majority of film adaptations. The few bright spots were Re-Animator (1985) From Beyond (1986) and The Dunwich Horror (1970) with Dean Stockwell and Sandra Dee.

I recently saw the Dunwich Horror and it wasn’t as good as I remembered it a kid, but then again I grew up in Massachusetts and at the time was fascinated the story took place only 45 minutes away.[​IMG]

Hotwater

3. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

i'd certainly agree with those choices, particularly re-animator. have you seen the resurrected (1990)? i thought it was a fairly good adaptation of the case of Charles Dexter ward, although it suffers badly from an incredibly small budget. Not amazing, but certainly in the milleu of terrible adaptations, it stands out for being both passable, and for containing some lovely use of low budget physical effects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag1bHzFYDss"]The Resurrected 1992 trailer - YouTube

89.98 for a VHS? was that a thing that happened?

4. Kilothanas669

Kilothanas669 Member

The Dunwich Horror is a pretty good H.P. adaptation. But would you think The Ninth Gate (it stars Johnny depp) could be a semi inspired by movie. THe books is rememinicent of the necronomicon.

5. mystic eye

mystic eye Banned

I haven't seen any of the adaptations. I will get some and the tell u all what I think. Loves his books though.

6. ClintonsSon

ClintonsSon Yeah......it's Me!!