Love?

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by TattoedAquarian, Jan 22, 2005.

1. TattoedAquarian

TattoedAquarian Senior Member

What do you all think about love. Possible topics to consider when answering, but please don't let these be the only ones because these were just a few questions off the top of my head:

~What is it?
    ~Is it just a chemical thing that we find pleasurable?
    ~Was it invented by someone a long time ago or has it always been around?
    ~What is it's purpose?
    ~Is it possible to have a meaningful life without it?
    ~How many different kinds of love are there?/What do you find to be the most rewarding?

2. Moonfirepheonix

Moonfirepheonix Member

The universe is full of love.. no matter... what we do and think in our heads, everywhere it is nothing but beaming love all over us, now to embrace this we return to the garden.

I think the all pervading love, is the most satisfying to tune into, for, in all our struggles thourghout lifetimes, for thousands probly even millions of years.. all of creation has been at our finger tips, and all we have to do, is look see love.. and the universes abundance, of rich rich joy, pours out of its ever loving channels, right into our material hands, which are always love also. Outstretching across the skies, in the sunsets and sunrise.. the glorious ever living poetry that makes us know.. theres more.. much much much much much much more..

Love of all that it is all, the immesurable..

Peace

3. moon_flower

moon_flower Banned

~What is it? Love is being stupid together.
    ~Is it just a chemical thing that we find pleasurable? Technically, yes.
    ~Was it invented by someone a long time ago or has it always been around? It's always been around.
    ~What is it's purpose? To make you feel good while you have it and shitty when you don't.
    ~Is it possible to have a meaningful life without it? No, ma'am.
    ~How many different kinds of love are there?/What do you find to be the most rewarding? There is only one true kind of love.

4. Jelena :-)

Jelena :-) ~

"Do you want me to tell you something really subversive? Love is everything it's cracked up to be. That's why people are so cynical about it. . . . It really is worth fighting for, being brave for, risking everything for. And the trouble is, if you don't risk anything, you risk even more."
    Erica Jong - How to Save Your Own Life

5. TattoedAquarian

~MoonfirePheonix - Wow, you are very poetic for an 8 year old, or for any age for that matter... Thankyou very much for your very descriptiver reply! -Whisically informative!
    ~Moonflower - Yeah, i think i see where you are coming from and actually used to say the same thing about how you answered the first question, word for word. Just out of curiosity, and if you don't mind - Have you ever been in love?
    ~Jelena - Awesome quote!!!! I loved it and actually wrote it down and put it on me and my boyfriend's message board by our computer, then went out for a few hours - but when we got home he went on the computer and saw it, and he really loved it too - especially the last line, "If you don't risk anything, you risk even more". He really loved that. We talked about it for a bit so I guess i should say thankyou for posting the awesome quote... Is Erica Jong an author?

6. footprints

footprints Member

I think love is the most powerful feeling in the world, like hate only comes out of love, you only hate something when you have previously loved it and its hurt you, or when the hated object has done something to the loved. I think there is always room for love, whatever or whenever, but i think some people are afraid of what love might bring with it (me being one of them). i think this is really sad as whatever we do in life we will alway get hurt, no matter what life you choose, pain is always going to be there so all were really doing is running forever.....i also believe you can never be to young to be in love, people sometimes say, "your to young, you dont know what love is". i think thats crap, becuase as a child or teenager you feel thinks about a million times stronger than you do as you grow up, like teenagers get more angry or moody, why couldnt they feel love that way to? i think what people mean when they say your to young is your to young to sustain love, and keep a relationship working, that i might agree with

7. TattoedAquarian

~Footprints, Post #6 - I really dug your response, thankyuo for writing it... I definetly agree strongly with your opionion on hate, I also feel that hate is just a defensive form of sadness/hurt. (If i misinterpreted you, let me know please). Your observation about how a lot of people are afraid of love because they are afraid of being hurt was also very insightful, i thought. "Love has no age" - I'm not sure if i've heard that somewhere or not but it really sounds like something that, like, goes down in 'quotey history', so i put quotes around it just in case... But yes, i think that i get exactly what you were writing and thanks again for saying so... (Remember, if i misinterpreted anything that you said by all means let me know because i know that i like to correct others when they comment on things i say and have misinterpreted them wrong so then comment on them poorly). Your quote is nice, i think if i ever become a dentist/orthodontist i'll hang that in my office if you don't mind... (Don't worry - i will probably never become either of those things...)

8. Lotus Butterfly

Lotus Butterfly Member

"All you need is love" The Beatles
    They put it quite simply and yet I feel it has all the meaning in the world. There are many forms of love but I think at the basic level there is just one love and we could not survive without it. Love for ourselves, love for each other, our "special loves", love for our family, love for our planet, and love for existence as we know it. Without any of this love, we are meaningless.

9. TattoedAquarian

~Lotus Butterfly - You are sunshine! Thankyou for your contribution with a little help from some of your musician friends... (Please catch my 'corny' reference...)

10. TattoedAquarian

Wow. Only females replied to this thread so far. Interesting. I guess 'Love?' isn't very inticing to the opposite sex. I would like to get some male points-of-views though but, oh well...

11. ZePpeLinA

ZePpeLinA Jump around!

~What is it?
    ~Is it just a chemical thing that we find pleasurable?
    ~Was it invented by someone a long time ago or has it always been around?
    ~What is it's purpose?
    ~Is it possible to have a meaningful life without it?
    ~How many different kinds of love are there?/What do you find to be the most rewarding?

I guess love is something to do with feelings as well as chemicals inside your body, kind of a mix between what makes us human (reason and biology)
    Perhaps the effects of the feelings of "love" provoke chemical reactions that trigger different sensations that are related to emotional stimuli
    it obviously has been around for a while...so many poets, artists, painters, etc from past centures have used love as an inspiration.
    I dont really know about the purpose of love, perhaps we're programmed genetically to fuction as "loving" beings, when we are inside our mothers' womb, we are have the first experience of human contact-relationship...therefore it's quite possible that we subcounciously need to get to the same state of being in a nest, being surrounded by another force, i dont know how to explain this, but hope you get my point.
    I dont think it's possible to be happy without having love in your life. Love makes life much more bearable doesnt it?
    kinds of love? well, you have parental, brotherly, friends, partners, love for nature, love for music, love for everything and everyone.
    all kinds of love are rewarding, cos its something that even though comes right from within us, we have no control over.

12. footprints

footprints Member

yeah you got it all right me thinks, glad you like it, i have lots of opinions on the whole love subject, thanks for bringing it up! xxx oh and you can be whatever you want to be, thats the beauty of life... thats if you actually want to be a dentist, which you might not... if so never mind!xx

13. Jaz Delorean

Jaz Delorean Senior Member

love is something you cannot explain, it's a beautiful, astounding, surprising, incredible feeling that is totally uncontrollable. you can't help being in love.
    when two people are in love they are in tune with one another completely, neither person desires more than the other half, both are totally satisfied and it is beautiful.
    it's also *smiles* those moments when you're alone with them in a dark place, maybe outside next to the shore, and it's those situations when they are resting in your arms, feeling they are in the safest place in the world and you likewise.

i wish i could explain more how i feel, but that'll have to do for now. i wrote this poem a few days ago for one of my experiences. it might explain a little, it's about how selfless love is :) thanks for asking the question i enjoyed answering it

You know when someone loves you
    when you have a new pink floyd album
    and all you want to do is put it on,
    take it in,
    and all she wants to do is be with you
    share it with you,
    lying in a warm place,
    her head resting on your chest,
    your hand touching her cheek
    as you both escape to pompeii
    on an otherwise gloomy day
    it meant a lot to me
    a lovely memory

14. lover/young_peace

lover/young_peace Senior Member

I am incapable of love. :)

15. TattoedAquarian

~Zeppelina - I liked reading your post. I think my favorite thing that you wrote about was your 'womb theory' explaining the purpose of love and why we feel we need it. Interesting idea, i never thought of that... Thankyou. Oh, and in your last line you mentioned something about you liking love because it is uncontrollable; very brave of you - Most people never experience a lot of life's great experiences because they are too afraid to stop being in control and just let stuff happen...

~Footprints - Nah, i don't think i see a career in dentistry in my cards, but if by some strange twist of fate i do, i'll give you a free teeth cleaning or something...

~Jaz Delorean - Very insightful... You seem like quite the romantic. I liked the first two lines a lot as well as your comment on the tie between love and satisfaction. - Nice. In case you're interested, I saw this great movie the other day called "Garden State", and from your post, i think you'd really like it (so i'm recommending it to you). I enyoyed your poem... Have fun on the moon...

~Lover/young peace - I think the world will more than likely be a very cold place for you then. I hope that you soon become capable...

16. TattoedAquarian

Bah. Valentine's Day is just around the corner...

17. soulrebel51

soulrebel51 i's a folkie.

John Lennon's "Love" describes how I feel about it. :H

18. Piezoluminescent

Piezoluminescent Banned

Love is just a chemical thing.I think friendship is real .

19. Lotus Butterfly

Lotus Butterfly Member

Isn't friendship just another form of love? Isn't it possible to have it all without it being a "chemical thing"? My husband is someone I find really attractive and sometimes can't wait to jump his bones ;) yet he is also my best friend, someone I tell my hopes, fears, and sacred dreams to. There is not any part of this that I think is chemical, except that we are all made of chemical matter so... anyway I could go on and on with this so I'll stop here.

20. Piezoluminescent

Piezoluminescent Banned

I don't think friendship is the same. Love is complete chemical bs .People were put on the earth to procreate, love is just an emotion that stimulates our libido