Lost it all, whole harddrive wiped clean tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Computers and The Internet' started by BlackGuardXIII, Jan 29, 2005.

1. BlackGuardXIII

BlackGuardXIII fera festiva

I was online earlier and when I went to copy a document from my documents, the whole file was empty. It used to have 2+ gigs of stuff, I dont know how much. I went into c drive properties, and my harddrive was empty. 8 gigs of stuff gone.
    dont know what else to say.

2. clockworkorangeagain

clockworkorangeagain femme fatale

omg...holy shit man! thats just fuckin sad..i would be crying....did you have personal writing and stuff?

3. MattInVegas

MattInVegas John Denver Mega-Fan

Install a secondary HD. Keep your Docs and shit there. Then get "Tweak UI" for Windows(Whatever version you have.) You can change where Windows points to your "My Documents" file. (And do some other handy stuff too!)

4. BlackGuardXIII

photos i scanned that are long gone, poems, emails, site links..........sigh

1000's of documents, songs, etc.

I just wonder what the hell happened?

5. xaosflux

xaosflux Sysop Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

You should stop using that drive immediately!....You could just have something preventing you from viewing the folder, or the folder could have been moved (hgappens alot)...or it could be deleted, most likely it is not permentalty erased..mount that drive in another computer, go to a command line and search it from there; if nothing is found try an undeleting program (make sure it is compatible with your OS first!!)

6. one word to help you cope!!
    transience!!!

my plan is to either develop a photographic memory or to remember that there is only so much that is important to keep with me...you know what I mean I think. Good luck getting it all back but if you don't please don't stress about it!
    :)

7. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

That happened to me a couple weeks ago. Every file/folder/ document/every program every saved on this computer was gone. I was no longer hooked up to the internet for 3 days.

8. BlackGuardXIII

sorry to hear that.

peeps!! i'm a let ya know.......

back that shit up!!!!!!!!

dont be like me...................itblows.......or sux......wtf.........t'ain't good, know what i'm sayin?
    it is real importent, trust me.

9. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

yeah I know, This computer actually belongs to my cousin and I still haven't explained to her how I got it back on or told her that all the games & stuff that she had saved on her favorite list is gone. I still haven't found her program disk for the webcam, scanner/printer. So for now I'm just doing without them.

10. DoktorAtomik

DoktorAtomik Closed For Business

I doubt 8 gig of data is just gone for good. Like Xaos said, you should stop using the drive as an urgent priority. If the data's still there, every time you read or write anything to the HD you risk overwriting those precious 0 and 1s. Stop using the drive and grab yourself a file recovery utility.

There are two reasons why I back up religiously. First, I spent a couple of weeks ripping my entire CD collection. It would really piss me off if I lost those two weeks of work due to an HD failure. Secondly though, digital photography is a major hobby of mine. My photos alone take up about 25 gig. I'd cry for a week if I ever lost them. So, I have a 250 gig Maxtor external HD that runs a back-up at 4am every morning. It includes pretty much everything of importance to me - music, photos, documents, address book, email, Mozilla profile.... you name it, it gets backed up. And with the HD being external, I can take it with me when I go on holiday (that's 'vacation' to you yanks :p ), which means if my computer gets stolen while I'm away, I still have my data. Not that I'm paranoid or anything, but when you've invested a great deal of time into something, it makes sense to safeguard it properly.

11. Poor you, alway back everthing up mate, thats my advice the same has happend to me!