Lord of the Rings

Discussion in 'Fantasy Books' started by hensley425, Jun 22, 2010.

1. hensley425

hensley425 Member

Someone should talk to me about it because I'm literally obsessed with it. Thanks :D

2. Amsler

Amsler Member

haha, not the best of conversation starters.

what do you love about it? :]

i love that somebody actually fucking went through with it and made an entire freaking world, instead of half-assing it :>

3. Amsler

Amsler Member

haha, not the best of conversation starters.

what do you love about it? :]

i love that somebody actually fucking went through with it and made an entire freaking world, instead of half-assing it :>

stupid computer posted this twice, sorry ];

4. hensley425

hensley425 Member

Yeah I love how it's not just a story it's like an entire world that someone created with it's own customs and languages and everythingggggg. Just the entire history of it is breathtaking.

5. wishful sinful

wishful sinful Member

I freaking LOVE Lord of the Rings.

Have you ever read any literature from the early Middle Ages (Beowulf, for example)? It makes all of the symbolism and stuff make so much more sense. *Lit nerd ahoy*

6. hensley425

hensley425 Member

I actually haven't read much from that time period but I'm sure I'll check them out as soon as I have time!

7. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

I really liked the Hobbit, but the complete bore of Lord of the Rings movies scared me away from reading any more.

How do you think the movies compare to the books?

8. MissSuzanne

MissSuzanne Member

they look very pretty but are 2D to the books' 3D x

9. yellowcab

yellowcab Fresh baked

I love The Lord of The Rings, the book is far superior to the movie. Although I liked the movie too, but if I watched it without reading the books first I probably would not have enjoyed it so much.

10. Chapter13

Chapter13 Member

they don't... the movies look nice, but they ain't very much to do with the Lord of the Rings... about as similar as scooby doo to sherlock holmes

11. hensley425

hensley425 Member

Actually I thought the movies got as accurate to the books as humanly possible. Yeah they took out a bunch of stuff and combined a few characters together but I always thought that the movies were of good quality and accuracy.

12. Duck

... what?

13. Chapter13

Chapter13 Member

you may wanna re-read the books at some point.. just to refresh the ol' memory :mickey:

14. lightknightpete

lightknightpete Guest

I'm always up for some LOTR chat, yahoo, aim, or email me (same sn, email in prof).
    My favorite hobby with LOTR is to see its influence in everything, read the trilogy and then watch star wars, or play videogames, or read later fantasy authors work. Aside from the obvious (Tolkien mainstreaming the big 3 species) there are a lot of similarities going on.
    The movies were great I thought. Their biggest failure was such a big focus on Liv Tyler, and the absolute abomination that is the complete and total ignorance of Tom Bombadill. Can he atleast get a mention? Seriously?!

15. anna james

anna james Banned

Just what to say about the book, The Lord of the Rings..... A great and a superb book for sure.....

16. Duck

17. VictorBlack

VictorBlack Guest

Yep, J.R.T. would have loved this site, too... war-hating, morphine prescribing ex-soldier as he was!

Thanks for really helping to bring the fantasy genre alive for us, J.T.!

18. Kyrara-Ruxandra

Kyrara-Ruxandra Member

I loved the books, and liked the movies. It's true that the movies are a bit of a dissapointment compared to the majesty of the books, but an ideal film whould have been 20 or 30 hours long, so... We'll just have to make-do. What I loved about the books is the way in which they represent our world, with our problems and beauties, but in such a manner, and with so many unique elements, that haven't been used before it, that it enthrals us, it makes us dream and imagine.:)

19. vinster

vinster penis wrinkle

I'm a MASSIVE Lord of The Rings nerd. This seams like a place to be. Any questions or points of discussion. There are so many aspects of Middle Earth one can discuss.