Looking for info on Oz or Holiday Hippie Commune

Discussion in 'Communal Living' started by caterinna13, Aug 2, 2011.

1. caterinna13

caterinna13 Guest

I am looking for information on Oz Farm that was in Harmonsburg/Meadville PA area in 1968. The commune used to be in California--named Holiday. Any info out there????????????

2. Deborah Wilson

Deborah Wilson Guest

Hi! I stayed there for a few weeks . The folks there were driven out not long after I left. I have tried to find George Hurd in Meadville but never hooked up. What are you looking for ? It was not a well organized family. The house was basically an abandoned shell. Parmell kept goats and we had a nice garden. All the straights from neighboring farm communities would come out on the weekends and hassle the residents. Marco built a cabin in the woods near the big house and strayed on for awhile. He told me when I went to visit that he wanted to go to Peru. When I went back to see him the house was burned down, so was his cabin and the people who lived down the road said they had lost track of everyone. There were some lovely people there , I hope they are all still alive and well.

1 person likes this.
  3. caterinna13

caterinna13 Guest

Hi, I would love to hear any stories that you may remember. We have talked to a Bill Reynolds who is now in Ohio. We've also talked to R David Pratte who is an artist now is Erie.

4. Gene48

Gene48 Guest

Hi Debbie. I ran across your post and it brought back a flood of memories. As I said I came with the group from the Holiday cabins. I came in the checker taxi with Josh,Hickory, Parmel, Corky, and Johnny. I left with Mary Nell and went to Marthas Vinyard before every one was kicked out. Would love to hear from folks who lived there.

5. caterinna13

caterinna13 Guest

Gene48, I'd love to hear any stories about Meadville back in 1968. I have a picture and also some news articles. I've talked to a few others. You may remember them. If you don't want to post here..you can send to my email. caterinna13@aol.com

6. Gene48

Gene48 Guest

Hi, as I said I came with the group from California. What I remember most besides the beauty of the property, was the friendliness of the neighbors.They gave us clothes,fresh milk for the children, and helped us till a plot for a garden. The other thing I remember was the outrageous number of gawker's who came to stare at the hippies. There were so many people milling around that we couldn't get any work done on the house. Mary Nell and I went out onto the property quite away from the house to stake out and clear a small plot of ground to build a dwelling. Even that got to be impossible, so when a friend from California invited us to go to Martha's Vineyard we jumped at the chance.

7. Gene48

Gene48 Guest

Hi, as I said I came with the group from California. What I remember most besides the beauty of the property, was the friendliness of the neighbors.They gave us clothes,fresh milk for the children, and helped us till a plot for a garden. The other thing I remember was the outrageous number of gawker's who came to stare at the hippies. There were so many people milling around that we couldn't get any work done on the house. Mary Nell and I went out onto the property quite away from the house to stake out and clear a small plot of ground to build a dwelling. Even that got to be impossible, so when a friend from California invited us to go to Martha's Vineyard we jumped at the chance.

8. caterinna13

caterinna13 Guest

Gene48--Here's a pic that may be familiar.

Google this: BE045654--its an image on Corbis

9. Mags-Ma'Gee

Mags-Ma'Gee Members

Hello to all on the Holiday-Oz site ! A week ago I received an excited call from my friend Michael. He had just heard (from an original member of the Holiday commune) about a book titled: Inside a Hippie Commune, written by: Holly Harman. Holly Harman (as a teenager) along with her parents, had lived at the Holiday commune for three years.
    The book is said to have many photographs, present day interviews with Holiday family members, and much more. There is a DVD now available.

My friend Michael, and his lady (at the time), had lived at Holiday during the last 7-8 months of the commune's existence. After which time, Michael, his lady, and 13 family members of Holiday, climbed aboard Michael's first rolling home (a converted school bus) headed for Pennsylvania, and to Oz. Michael has given me permission to share, and he is into sharing further, although he himself does not communicate via the computer. Just this morning, he told me an interesting story about an Oz family member (I am guessing is...) "Parmel" ...who(m) was previously mentioned by "Deborah Wilson" and "Gene48". Anyways,...here's hoping to hear/receive some (positive) feedback.

1 person likes this.
  10. caterinna13

caterinna13 Guest

Mags, does the book mention oz?

1 person likes this.
  11. Harold Carter

Harold Carter Members

caterinna13 , I have seen the porch photo; it is of, from left Coralee, Kathy Anton (from Iowa), and George Hurd (who eventually became a papist priest).

12. Harold Carter

Harold Carter Members

13. Amontillado

Amontillado Member extraordinaire HipForums Supporter

It doesn't look very, uh, comfortable.

14. caterinna13

caterinna13 Guest

Love hearing about Oz and the people there.

15. carol m koton

carol m koton Members

My name is Carol Koton my old man was Ed, we lived at Oz, they named the goats after us. We built a small cabin in back of the main house, we left just before the bust to get some work in Philedelphia. Ed and I lived at Holiday and Oz, we split before I went to The Center in New Mexico. Rebecca Jaynes is living in Oaxaca, Mexico, Amy her daughter is living in Silverton, Oregon. Rebecca and Amy were at Holiday, Oz and The Center. I live in Eugene, Oregon since 1971. Morgan passed away in the mid 90's at Big Sur at Tassajara. My children now all grown David, Julie and Dennis lived at Holiday, and The Center with the exception of Oz. We have all lived in Oregon since. Rebecca's husband Jack passed away in Roseburg Oregon Feb 2019. Cora Lee Murray I have not seen since the mid 90's, she last lived in Mt Shasta and Arcadia. California she would be 94 years old now. I remember Spaghetti Debbie, Marco, Father George Hurd, Josh, Parnell, Ross and many more whose names escape now. I am now 80 years old. I would like to hear from somebody. Peace

16. carol m koton

carol m koton Members

This is Carol Koton again. I remember how beautiful Oz was when we got there. Ed and I hitchhiked from SF to there not long after the bus had arrived. The land belonged to Viking Bill, who was at Holiday, he had inherited it and who was for some strange reason not at Oz at least I do not remember him being there. It got so crazy with ten thousand people driving by during the duration many nice people but then we also got shot at, harassed, assaults and women raped etc. Hepatitis A broke out we got mass vaccinations by the county on the land and believe me those county people were furious at our state of living. Later Michael Anton ended up in Humboldt County on my land I had purchased there then we sent him on to Canada after a major bust. Rebecca was there in Humboldt, Morgan, Cora Lee too.
    Marco went on to Alaska upon leaving Oz. What a long strange trip is was.

17. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

80 and in Eugene also. I heard about you folks back then , but never made it there. Did make it to a big one in southern Oregon, but dammit--can't remember the name. Nice to see connections being made from back in the day.

18. carol m koton

carol m koton Members

Are you in Eugene/

19. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Yes, I sure am----