looking for advice

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself!' started by pinkmoon420, Jan 22, 2005.

1. pinkmoon420

pinkmoon420 Member

hi, my name is liz and i'm 17 years old. i have always felt like i was different than everyone else an i could never understand why people were so intent on making life more difficult for others. i'm convinced that the only reason we are here is to help each other. it wasn't until about a year ago that i realized that many of my values fit in with those of the hippies. i currently live on the east coast and i want to move to san francisco in the fall to attend art school. i have been in love with the city my whole life and feel that i would be more at home there and that it would be more conductive to my artistic tendencies. my parents are dead set against the idea. they want me to go to a traditional college and get a high paying job and have lots of money. but money is about the last thing on my mind. i don't know how to make them understand that i don't agree with their conservative values and that i am going to move to california.

peace,
    liz

2. fee

fee Member

you have alot of values as we do here on this forum
    well as I do anyway
    well nice to meet you and hope to see you around

O and please take me to san fran with you
    socal is nt the place but northcal is a wonderland of peace
    sanfran isnt what its all cracked up to be but its nicer than its southern counterpart

3. WayfaringStranger

WayfaringStranger Corporate Slave #34

love ya sis. but san fran isnt the hippest place no more. im in savannah ga, also not the hippest place but an excellent art school. best hippie colleges are Evergreen up in Olympia Washington, Antioch in southern Ohio, or goto UNCA in Asheville NC. or burlington vermont, louisville ky, madison WI. theres a bunch a places where hippies get together, but san fran is a lil . . . evil.

oh yeah, Arcata California at Humbolt State, theres alot of cool places, more important to just follow your art dream at the school thats best for you, and you be that shinning happy person where ever you are.

4. Liz, I admire you for wanting to follow your heart. I also heard that San Fran isn't a hippie place anymore. Follow your heart in going to art school, but you'll also need to learn a more "practical" skill to help you earn some money to support yourself and have the basic things you need, plus art supplies and school stuff. Bummer, ain't it? As far as making your parents understand, they prob'ly never will, though it means a lot to you that they do. They should at least respect and accept your decision, but if they don't, they'll only be making you more determined to go. Though they love you, it's your life, not theirs. I wish you the best. -Sincerely, Love, Ariel -

5. erowid

erowid Member

Your values are whats important, I have alot of strong values myself none of which agree with my parents, and whenever Im in doubt I just go by the rule of thumb and Hail Satan.

HAIL SATAN!

6. erowid

erowid Member

seriously though Im rather in the same boat, just stick to your guns and don't forget who you are and u should have no worries.

7. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Senior Member

I'll vouch for Madison and Antioch (which is a small college in Yellow Springs, OH). Those are both very cool places with lots of cool people.

8. bedlam

bedlam Senior Member

hullo, hope you have fun here, welcome to hip forums...

9. Elanor

Elanor Member

Hi
    My father is the same like your parents. But I cant do anything with it. :-(

10. hip_peace

hip_peace Senior Member

welcome to hip forums... so don't worryyy

11. RobCat

RobCat Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

we should talk.

12. hippiestead

hippiestead Ms.Cinnamon

Gonna have to retouch on that whole San Fran isn't what it used to be. If nothing else, please visit before you move.
    Til then, welcome to HipForums! You'll meet lots of kind folks here, and who knows, maybe you'll find that there are lots of cool places in the world with hip people.

13. hey i think you should follow you heart and if you parents don't understand right now,
    they will later when they see you are happy
    :) we are all here to help each other :)