looking for a place in Victoria

Discussion in 'Canada' started by lyla, Jun 1, 2004.

1. lyla

lyla Member

a friend and i are looking for a place to rent for next year... maybe a basement suite or something. if anyone knows of anything, pm the info to me... thanks!

2. IdentityCrisis

IdentityCrisis Member

Eeek. Victoria's prices are going up, up, up.. but yeah, If you want to find a place in Victoria you're probably going to have to resort to the Times Colonist Newspaper or word of mouth. Otherwise if you take a drive/bus around you may see a couple "Roommates wanted" signs on lawns... other than that it's all pretty much under wraps, everyone gets roommates through connections (I know, we had plenty of them in my Victoria days, as did my friends)..

Good luck finding a place, though!

Hummm, I hope I get to go to UVic so I can move back *sigh*

3. cacophony

cacophony Member

ouch...good luck. victoria is incredibly expensive to live in, and it's getting more expensive by the day. check the billboards in bohemian places like green cuisine, bean around the world and the spiral cafe for "roommate wanted" ads. you can usually find really cool people living in really cool places, and occasionally you'll find a bargain. overall, though, if you want to live cheap...don't go to victoria.

however, there are many people who somehow manage to get around the living cost here. if you figure it out, please help me write my 'cheap living for dummies' zine! i want to write a guide to living cheaply in victoria, and another of tips for generally cheap living. any contributions are greatly appreciated.
    good luck!

4. IdentityCrisis

IdentityCrisis Member

Co-ops are a good place to go. You get a house for 500 a month ... only connection, is that they're connected :)

Spiral Cafe? On Craigflower? I used to go there when it first opened and when I lived in Victoria. It was a stop we used to make before going to the Y across the street... and green cuisine? In market square? Or is it still even there? I haven't been there in years. Good to hear the name of the place once again. I discovered many foods at their buffet.