Looking for a natural, safe, sleep aid

Discussion in 'Psychedelics' started by RandomOne, Feb 16, 2009.

1. RandomOne

RandomOne Member

any ideas?

2. RandomOne

RandomOne Member

i have bad insomnia.. preferably something without a bunch of synthetic chemicals.

3. WanderingturnupII

WanderingturnupII Grouchy Old Fart

4. Hippified_RCer

Hippified_RCer P.L.U.R.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    yep right there. all u need.

5. BillyX

BillyX Member

My mum has gone on about the wonders of melatonin and says she will buy me some next time she is at the chemist, ill let you know if it helps me at all. I personally dont suffer from Insomnia its more difficulty getting to sleep and also staying asleep i find i wake up every 2 hours sometimes more frequently i hate it.

6. Hippified_RCer

Hippified_RCer P.L.U.R.

same exact thing here man. i find that one 3mg tablet of mel puts me to bed about 1 to 2 hours after eating it. and then it gives me crazy dreams too lol.

7. nesta

nesta Banned

melatonin is praised by some as a wonderful sleep aid, but scientific research does not support this, and for many other people, such as myself, no increased sleepiness is noted after taking supplementary melatonin.

i am skeptical in regards to its efficacy, but it may also be that it legitimately works wonders in some people and legitimately fails to affect others, such as myself.

from my personal experience i would have to suggest valerian root as a far superior remedy for insomnia, and a more "natural" one at that.

8. -beatnick

-beatnick Senior Member

marijuana and melatonin

9. WanderingturnupII

WanderingturnupII Grouchy Old Fart

Marijuana, melatonin, Evan Williams, and valerian.

10. prismatism

prismatism loves you

I have insomnia too, and really, the best thing to do is make sure you get some exercise during the day and don't eat anything stimulating a few hours before you want to sleep. But I take melatonin and valerian, and sometimes take kava kava and ashwagandha if that's not enough.

11. RandomOne

RandomOne Member

well i picked a up a "night time blend" tea at my local organic store, it contains organic chamomile, lemongrass and spearmint, will see how this works tonight. I might have to try melatonin, does any pharmacy carry that?

Also have they ever isolated the chemical in turkey that makes you sleepy, cause that works for me, heh.

12. Are you against taking a few hits of marijuana before bed? I find that to be the best sleep aide. Also, stay extremely active during the day. Every time my butt hits a chair and I start to slouch, I remind myself that this rest now is taking away from my sleep later at night. I've found that the best single exercise that helps me sleep at night is swimming, but staying active consistently throughout the day is my best bet. Also, I think exhausting the mind helps too. Do math equations, read up on chemistry, learn another language, learn to play an instrument, etc. Anything that engages your brain fully and takes a lot of brain power to comprehend or master.

From experience, I find the best remedy for insomnia is to exhaust my stores of physical and mental energy as much as possible during the day, forcing my body to go to sleep and reup its energy stores. When that fails, I take a few hits of marijuana if I have it. I also avoid caffiene after noon, and nicotine and sugar after 8.

And the chemical in turkey is called tryptophan. Here's a little article I found on it:

source: http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/question519.htm

13. neim

neim Member

but why do you want to treat the symptoms? why don't treat the problem?

14. And I, like nesta, found melatonin to be ineffective on me. And somehow I've built up a tolerance to all prescription sleep aides except Lunesta, even ones that I hadn't been on before. It must be a common chemical in sleep aides that I tolerate completely now.

I know it sound extreme, but moving constantly throughout the day has helped greatly with my insomnia. Even when I sit, I bounce my legs or tap my foot just to keep using energy. It may be nutty, but I sleep! (and as an added bonus it helps me stay slim! lol)

15. RandomOne

RandomOne Member

Well the tea was definitely a mild sedative, had me relaxed and grinning after a half hour or so. I slept nicely for about 5-6 hours and now i'm wide awake again :( 2 more hours woulda been perfect.

As for the other advice, thanks, but I already keep very busy mentally and physically, my mind is working 24/7 especially which is why i can't sleep. So i'm looking for something to calm my mind. Marijuana just makes me even more active and creative. I'll try marijuana in combination with the tea I suppose.

Anyone know of other sedatives that last for 8 hours or so?

(also I don't eat or drink anything with sweeteners, caffeine (except green tea) and i don't smoke cigarettes, so thats not the source of the problem)

16. RandomOne

RandomOne Member

what is the problem?

my mind is just too busy at night

17. nesta

nesta Banned

to be honest, i have been taking diphenhydramine almost nightly since highschool, and it helps a lot. only take the recommended dosage, and only when you really need it.

other nights, valerian is good. i find switching between the two helps keep me from becomming overly dependant on one or the other.

18. neim

neim Member

in this case the problem would be the reason why your mind is so busy at night.

19. RandomOne

RandomOne Member

as near as i can tell i was just born that way. i'm not depressed or worrying or anything like that. i am just constantly thinking of solutions to problems, thinking about the world and how it works, creating music in my head, solving math equations, thinking about conversations i had, so on.

insomnia isn't so much a symptom as a condition in some people