looking for a backpack....

Discussion in 'Fashion and Crafts' started by lucyinthesky, Jul 1, 2006.

1. lucyinthesky

lucyinthesky Tie Dyed Soul

i need a durable backpack for school coming up in september. something simple and a decent size but cute and inexpensive. Anyone have anything, or making anything?

2. Shambhala Peace

Shambhala Peace Senior Member

Any particular material you like?
    (I might be able to find you some good websites or direct you to something.)

3. lucyinthesky

hemp is good, or similar texture. Or something patchy and/or handmade would be sweet.

4. BungalowBrad

BungalowBrad Member

I'm not sure if this place is only a Minnesota thing but the Electric Fetus has a whole bunch of bags which I think you would really like.

5. peacelovebarefeet

peacelovebarefeet BuRniN oNe...

The brand Jansport has some pretty cute corduroy backpacks... I added a bunch of patches and sparkly shit to mine... and it was fairly enexpensive, like $40?? The best thing about it is that Jansport has a life-time warranty, so if the zipper breaks, or anything at all manfuctions, you can send it there, and they will either fix the backpack, or replace it. I've had the same brown-ish one for about 3 years, and it's held up quite nicely.

I'm pretty sure they have a website. *Checks* Yup! www.jansport.com

6. peacelovebarefeet

peacelovebarefeet BuRniN oNe...

7. lace_and_feet

lace_and_feet Super Member

This was the coolest looking bag I could find in my quick Google search..

[​IMG]

(available at Soulflower)

But, while I'm all for supporting handmade & totally unique goods, nothing really beats a good ol' Jansport...especially one made out of *pink corduroy* (gasp)
    ....ok I'm a dork, but seriously. You can always take off the jansport logo & customize it yourself with funky patches or appliques. My Jansport has lasted me like 8 years.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(available at Ebags)

8. lucyinthesky

hey thanks guys those backpacks are sweet. I've decided though, after much deliberation, (and after finding out my tuition is going to be double what i was originally told) That i'm going to take another year to prepare my funds so i can pay for both years and university all in one shot
    wish me luck. :)
    or just send me money ;) haha

9. smiling_mama

smiling_mama Member

10. hummblebee

hummblebee hipstertist.

I agree with smiling mama. Plus, the whole point of posting up here is to give independant small-business-crafters a shot, right?! Whenever I see factory-assembled type patchwork like that (especially in a backpack!) I also assume it's sweat-shop produced until I've been proven wrong. A lot of companies that even claim "fair wage" are full of crap.
    Okay, I'm off my soap box now. :)

11. mamaboogie

mamaboogie anarchist

tote bags are really easy to make, and the possibilities are limitless...