Long hours, low wages

Discussion in 'Hip Business Network' started by _chris_, May 20, 2006.

1. _chris_

_chris_ Marxist

Im thinking of giving slavery a bash

8 people like this.
  2. rg paddler

rg paddler Senior Member

you mean having slaves or being one yourself? If you plan to be in charge you need a drum and a whip - the drum keeps them in time as they are working - and you only whip em if they start talking to one another - seems to work,you might have a huge staff turn-over though - they do at the place i work.that goddamn drum - no rest,man.

4 people like this.
  3. _chris_

_chris_ Marxist

oh, being a slave owner of course

thanks for the advice[​IMG]

4. kitty fabulous

kitty fabulous smoked tofu

I know how you feel. I'm still at the stage where I'm spending more than I'm earning. But I think in the long run, for me, self-employment is going to be worth it.

5. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

The trouble with having your own business, is working incredibly long hours. I sometimes find myself working a ten hour day or longer, some weeks 7 days a week. It sucks, and sometimes the pay isn't worth it, but I at least have the satisfaction of knowing that I love what I do :)

6. guy

guy Senior Member

an old trick by some employers is to turn the volume up on music if slaves are in close proximity to each other, it stops them talking to each other. the other trick is turning employees against each other. an even older trick is promoting some of the slaves to a higher position on salary then working them to death as overtime no longer exists, you promise them a career/ opportunity which of course doesn't exist. after 2 years the slave works it out and leaves, usually this little promotion goes to someone who has been working somewhere too long and knows the place inside out, which is a bad thing for control freaks and employers terrified of theft.

7. NHMI

NHMI Member

I would say it depends on what business. I own a toxic Mold testing and Treatment company and I probably work 10 days a month if I am lucky and they aren't more then 6 hrs guaranteed. Most months I average $8-10k but some have been less. This month we are at $5k so anything can happen.

8. cheskamint13

cheskamint13 Members

I think the idea is great! Does raising minimum wage hurt the economy? Apparently, low wage workers often don't get much help with their health insurance. One may think working at Walmart, Target, McDonalds and so forth is simple, but it isn't as easy as one might think. A number of reduced wage health effects have been found which exact a physical toll on the people in such careers.

9. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Low wages and hard work? Sign me up! ---------That was the story until I started working for myself. My son runs our company now, so it's even better!!