Long Hair On Guys Was Considered Cool?

Discussion in 'Remember When?' started by SJWDefener, Jul 20, 2016.

1. creampie00

creampie00 If you can't DODGE it....RAM it!

You are right about the shaven heads, as a kid I thought Kojak was the man. Now it seems like everyone has a shaved head, along with a goatee. Men should just let it grow and not worry about styles!

1 person likes this.
  2. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Long hair wasn't "In" perse for the early 2000's though. It wasn't until maybe 2006 or so that the Emo hair from that picture was really "In". I hated when that became popular though. Anyway here's my point. I didn't think Emo hair was cool when it was around but now I think it would be cool. Maybe it was ahead of its time.

I used to have long hair incidentally. It was a little past my shoulders when I cut it though. That was in 1999 when I was 19. Then I started wearing it in medium sized spikes!

1 person likes this.
  3. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Last haircut I had was sometime in the mid 90's... And, no.... I'm not bald.

2 people like this.
  4. SJWDefener

SJWDefener Members

Yeah, but it's hard to get my parents to agree with it especially.

I like long hair plainly because I don't like how we're supposed to look like as guys. This one gets of, particularly as it's a little subtle and they could be mistaken for a girl.

5. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

edgy is defined as "new and unusual in a way that is likely to make some people uncomfortable." long hair on men is neither new nor unusual. sure, it may make some people uncomfortable, because it's uncomfortable having all that hair getting in your way all the time. that's why short hair is so great; it just feels good on your head.

6. RiderOnTheStorm2.0

RiderOnTheStorm2.0 Lizard Kween Lifetime Supporter

I've always loved long hair on guys. I've only dated one guy that DIDN'T have long hair actually. It instantly adds sex appeal. But that emo shit from the mid-2000s? So glad it died out as quickly as it came in.

1 person likes this.
  7. SJWDefener

SJWDefener Members

I don't know, but today's trend of boys wearing short hair might encourage sexism for boys who do want to wear their hair long. Then again, there are boys who wore their hair longer younger than they did now

8. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

I don't care if it's trendy I like my long hair and it's definitively still fashionable at the concerts I go to. But those are usualy places where pot smoking hippies hang out. And like Rideronthestorm said the women do notice if you want to go for that.

I agree it definitely is more common for men to have longer hair and a little more socially acceptable. But it still can carry the same stigma as the 1960's and is not 100% the norm I think. Men are still supposed to have short hair. Other long haired guys and many females don't mind but a certain type of guy with short hair is bothered when you don't. You also still risk loosing a job over it which they would never do to a women because its expected she have long hair. At the most it would have to be tied up and out of the way. I have also heard the "look like a girl" and "you must not shower" type comments before which was common back the too right?

1 person likes this.
  9. SJWDefener

SJWDefener Members

I really hope we move on from these attitudes quickly. It's been 60 years since short hair on guys was the norm, and we've made societal changes faster than that such as with gay rights.

10. gentle_dissident

gentle_dissident Members

My GF doesn't seem to mind.

[​IMG]

I talk to many people a week with that hair. Some of the guys I deal with also have long hair. It's probably only a big deal to the suits. They're a minority here.

1 person likes this.
  11. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i don't remember more people thinking it was cool then they do now, but i do remember more males growing their hair long to make a statement.
    the statement that the narrowness of cultural bias being completely self serving, pointless and needless.

12. Jo King

Jo King wannabe

I pretty much grow my hair long cuz I got great lookin hair

hahhahaa

1 person likes this.
  13. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Still is, if you run with the right sort of folks.

Some leeway for those who are losing hair, of course.

2 people like this.
  14. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

It is cool for a guy to have long hair because the ones that don't are so indoctrinated by modern society that they've literally had their own artistic endeavors bred out of them and instead replaced opinions like "men shouldn't have long hair".

I like to go back to oldern times when men had long hair, who were defined for their long manes like in Sparta times. Warriors had long hair. If you didn't have long hair you were just lesser, a merchant, a market man and so on. But not a warrior. And if you weren't a warrior you were nothing in that culture.

Then the hair went. Thanks to that cocksucker Alexander the Pansie. "Err it can get pulled in battle err and I don't like err people playing with my hair err" and right then and there, the Mederterranean cultures went SOFT! LIMP DICKS!!

But have no fear. The boys of the North didn't share that singular garbage view of Alexander. If you wanted short hair you had short hair. You wanted a mane, you grew it. No questions asked, no nothing. You did what felt right for you. No social doctrines. A society and culture we could benefit from today. :)

Go Norse!

2 people like this.
  15. deanmorrison

deanmorrison Visitor

I have long hair. I don't care if people consider it cool or not.

3 people like this.
  16. Marsquake

Marsquake Members

My hair is not that long but I think It is nice and fitting If It's not pointing towards the emo side with too much hair blocking your vision.

17. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Pics guys. :)

18. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

That's The Attitude I Like To Hear From The Younger Generation............I Respect Somebody Who Is

Proud To Be An Individual And Not Run With The Sheep........ :)

Whoops Almost Forgot........Welcome To Hip Forums.

Cheers Glen.

1 person likes this.
  19. magickman

magickman Supporters HipForums Supporter

I've always loved long hair. Somehow I just don't feel complete without it. It's just been "me".

20. abarambling

abarambling Banned

Long hair is disgusting.

Just kidding.

Do whatever makes you happy. Long hair, short hair, no hair... just be you.