Loma Linda University releases vegetarian study results

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by drumminmama, Oct 10, 2013.

1. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Find the abstracts, etc here.

As Veg News wrote:
    A recent study published in the Journal of the Academy of Nutrition Dietics has found that a vegan diet is a more effective way to maintain a lower weight than an omnivore diet. During the research, scientists at Loma Linda University analyzed the data from the Adventist Health Study 2, which recorded the body mass index and dietary patterns of 71,751 men and women between 2002 and 2007.
    The results showed that while the caloric intake was similar among all of the participants—approximately 2,000 calories per day—strict vegetarians had the lowest average body mass index, while omnivores had the highest average body mass index.

I have found it interesting that there is a cultural expectation of a veg*n being slender, or even "emaciated," and that dialogue is going on, in often its worst form, in the comments.

2. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Proof that it isn't just the quantity of the food you eat, but the quality.

I'm a vegetarian, it sure helped me lose weight (not on purpose, but I'm not complaining). I feel great, and really have no desire to ever go back to eating meat. Why not be healthy and kind?

3. wiccan_witch

wiccan_witch Senior Member

I have lost a good amount of weight since becoming a vegetarian. Not all that I need to - but it's nice to lose weight without 'trying' as such. It has just slowly come off since I stopped eating meat.