Lolita, Vladimir Nabokov

Discussion in 'Erotic Books' started by alex714, Feb 19, 2005.

1. alex714

alex714 To the Left

I'll be reading this soon enough
    whats your review on it?

seems great, i'm excited to start it.

2. ThrftShopSweater

ThrftShopSweater Member

its amazing, nough said

3. m6m

m6m Member

Lolita explores obsession and fixation.
    Obsession and fixation is explored though both Professor Humbert and Lolita herself.

Desperately seeking the lost love and attention of a father figure, fatherless girls like Lolita will often become sexually attracted to older men.

Men, whose first youthful attempt at love fails, will often become fixated by that loss, and spend much if not all their adult lives trying to recreate and make successful their failed love.

Think of the great Charlie Chaplin.
    As a teenager, Charlie was desperately in love with a young girl who instead married a more dependable store clerk.
    Charlie never got over it.
    He spent much of his adult life seeking teenage girls who reminded him of his lost love.

You girls need to remember the powerful influence you exert over the lives of boys.
    Not that boys will ever be aware enough to recognize this.

Bilby likes this.
  4. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

One of the best books I've ever read. Humbert Humbert is such an amazing persoanage...

I love Nabokov, I'm currently reading "The Defense"

5. junkyman420

junkyman420 Member

an invigorating peice of literature

6. chocolatechipcookie

chocolatechipcookie Member

Im planning on to read it so far i havent but i saw an amazing Kubrick's movie that i recommend

7. Billy Brown

Billy Brown Member

lolita is one of the three greatest books i have ever read. beautiful prose and disturbing content can create such a paradox... read it...everybody...please, read it!!

8. alex714

alex714 To the Left

i started it tonight :D

9. antithesis

antithesis Hello

I love it. I am about to start reading his book Bend Sinister

10. royharper

royharper Member

I read it in my later high school years and was so surprised with myself that I finished it. I had been studying French for a year or so at that time and all of the phrases and things, I skipped over. Now that I've studied la langue for almost four years now, I should go re-read.

I once read some author's description as it not only being a story about the love affair between Humbert and Lolita, but about Russian Nabokov's love affair with the English language. He uses structures and vocabulary that many Americans couldn't even begin to decipher sans un dictionnaire. Some of those passages left me breathless.

And I never finished Bend Sinister :)

11. royharper

royharper Member

Wait, now I'm not to sure about that English language thing for I can't remember if he wrote in English or Russian. Hold on.

On my copy (Vintage International), it doesn't specify. But he apparently moved to the U.S. in 1940; Lolita was published in '55. So I'll stick to my guns but can anyone prove or disprove? I haven't really studied the man's life that in-depth.

. Wait. Nabokov said that shit himself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lolita#Afterword

Peace out.

12. Xiola

Xiola One Lonely Seagull

It is written so beautifully. A truely gorgeous book!

13. Pyewacket

Pyewacket Pagan Hippie Chick

My reaction exactly. That this incredible book was written by a man whose native language was not English is to me one of the seven wonders of the universe. It is one of the top 5 books in the English language, as far as I'm concerned. One of my absolute faves of all time.

14. gillianwind

gillianwind Member

I wish he would have written it in English. The book makes no sense to me becase it has so many little places in it where it is not English. Perhaps that makes me a bafoon, but then thats fine you can think that about me. I know one thing the novel I will write will be all ENGLISH.

15. alex714

alex714 To the Left

wait a minute

who moved my thread here??

i have to say i largely oppose

i would not categorise it as erotica.

16. alan82

alan82 Dying Inside

i have to agree.... there are many words you could use, and many things you could say and analyze... but 'amazing' pretty much sums it up....

what amazed me was that english was nabokovs thrid language, the way he uses the language, he caressed it, his words are so smooth and so powerful, it's like some sort of poetry

17. teana0

teana0 Member

Not too bad. I liked the first few pages but then I got a little bored with it. There's a film with I think its Jeremy Irons in it.

18. Anastazija

Anastazija Member

This is not erotica!
    Great book

19. Libertine

Libertine Guru of Hedonopia

"Lolita" is one of the most exquisite pieces of literature you'll ever taste.

20. Flight From Ashiya

Flight From Ashiya Senior Member

One of my all-time favourite books.Humbert Humbert is a lonely middle-aged man who falls in love with the beautiful nymphet daughter of his New Hampshire landlady:Lolita.
    Quilty is the sinister producer of 'blue movies' which he gets Lolita to appear in.
    The end of the book is a tragic end to this 'menage a trois'.
    I believe the book was originally banned on both sides of the atlantic during the 1950s but was redeemed & became a multi-million paperback bestseller in the early 1960s.
    Below is a film still from the quintessential 1962 Stanley Kubrick Film:

[​IMG]

-The sinister Quilty(Peter Sellers),backstage ,as Lolita(Sue Lyon)
    on the right,makes her apperance in the school play.