living by anothers leave

Discussion in 'Communal Living' started by willpower, Jan 1, 2005.

1. willpower

willpower Member

In the late 1700's, the eastern shoreline of north america was a thriving metropolis for the era of wealthy european aristocrats in the north and tobacco plantation owner in the south. Anyone else of the time was workers, had to be no lines drawn between sexes, just a simple understanding of doing what it takes to get by, many of them were "living by another's leave" or survivng off of whatever the rich masses didnt want. Be it clothes or food, it was still that which was discarded by one whom by birth or station, was superior to a lessor!

Out rageous you say? It's still happening today! If you think about it from the used cars e buy to the clothes we shop for at goodwill, we are still living by another's leave, in most cases simply becuase its more affordable to our lifestyles. none of us are wealthy or we would not post in here...

Today I decide that i will no longer live by another's leave, if i need clothes i will buy a bolt of fabric, i already am the greatest hunter alive< stokes own ego> so i will not starve i got about hundred or so mason jars filled with what the crows left of my garden after i got back from mo.

I challenge all of you who read this, start making the preparations to be mor reliant upon yourself and less upon the masses... IT IS TIME WE STOP LIVING BY ANOTHER'S LEAVE!

2. dilligaf

dilligaf Banned

we do do that here,,, we try as much as possible to be self reliant and less reliant on anyone other than ourselves and those others around that are like ourselves here,,, however at the same time some of the things i myself just aint got time to do at my leisure,,, since at this point in time i am still stuck with having to work in babble-on,,,, but oneday when we can leave it more behind me i will pick up and do even more for myself and those around me,,,

3. whispers

whispers sweet and sour

i think of it more as survival skills.....getting materials and supplies at little cost of money, energy or time to you....weather someone has used it before ....is of little importance.

4. dilligaf

dilligaf Banned

and i gotta add,,, personally ,,, i would often times rather make use of what another doesnt want or need,,, aint that what recyclin be all about ????

5. whispers

whispers sweet and sour

so true... people are so wasteful ...... reusing is good for the enviroment.

6. cobcottage

cobcottage Member

Sure it's better to recycle, but willpower's point is more important than his example. It is better to make your own world than to take the one that is dictated to you.

7. willow83

willow83 Member

We agree Dania, lets all make our own world, the one that is dictated to us, for the most part, is not what we need or want.
    With all our love---Morea and Rabbit

8. whispers

whispers sweet and sour

its all really just a mind set.......i do not think people care if they are dictated to...just who is doing the dictating and what they are dictating..... if its close to there personal beliefs then they are happy to accept....

those of us who disagree with our society ...do so because of its values and beliefs not because someone else thought them up.

when you have more then one human ..... someone is going to have something imposed on them .....that just how it goes, to be part of a community would mean having something dictated to you.

9. willpower

willpower Member

ordinarily i agreewith you whisper but not all communitites have a focus or theme so it is possiblr to find a dictation free community it all depends on you though....

if you join a community with the intentions of being communal then noone has to tell you what to do, u ask "how can i help" or you recognize the need and respond accordingly it is only wen people expect everything for absolutely nothing that they feel dictated to or under dictation!

nothing in this life is free... but how you choose to pay for it, is what(in my opinion) seperates the men from the boys. many will sacrifrice everything they are in the name of advancement and technology....conformism....i wont
    and do you know people think im crazy... but they envy me, not my lifestyle but the ability to embrace a pioneer spirit, and implement the actions to support my cries of change.... see many of the naysayers are so because their fear is greater than there convictions...they investigate for reasons of why something shouldnt be, and others like myself,oldwolf,rabbit,cobcottage,tzu23,erowild, well we put forth the emotional,spiritual and physical effort to be more than a forums jockey... but instead a pioneer in a world that has seem to forgotten what values and morals are....

about the reuse of items im in agreement with that, however i just feel that if we as a people can get over immediate gratification needs, then we will rely less upon the crutch of reusing anothers discard and more reliance and self assurance on ourselves.

i'll show you an example of how i evolved---de-evolved,

imma hunter.... i would have to buy my rifles....then i was exposed to rifle kits you put together yourself and that was great until i looked at the parts and realised... there is nothing more here than i already have so why am i buying something that is easy to asemble without the background check and big brother wanting to regulate my aquisitions of such.... my point i now build rifles as a source of income, and all of my materials are handmade by myself and a local blacksmith i have an agreement with... so when this all began a rifle was 500.00 and none of my time to personalize it.... any schmo with 500 had the exact same computer regulated one of the thousand batches as i... now it cost me a 20 minute ride york county, 20 lbs of fresh meat and i pick up all my metals that have never seen the laser guided mills fo mass production.....couple with 6 good hours and i have a good rifle.... no longer does my labor for survival have to coincide with my desire to be self reliant... little thing to some but a major step for me!

10. rabbit801

rabbit801 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Right on Willpower! you probably know as well as we do about the emotional, spiritual and physical aspects of pioneering with the hope of being an inspiration to others. and i also think it is great that you have opted for building your rifles the way you have, more power to you my friend.
    we love and respect you---rabbit

11. erowid

erowid Member

I feel many people cannot come to terms with the concept of living by no mans leave for so many people are gripped by forces of the mind that compel them to strive for power and authority and so many other people are flung into subtle cycles of opression in there wake. If a commune were organized by the right people, founded by those who don't want power and lead only by example. I feel a community based upon this is truely possible. Every man to his, and empathy will thrive to fill in the cracks in troubled times.

12. willpower

willpower Member

here here erowild

rabbit i would just like to say that to the victor goes the spoils!

oldwolf im officially requesting an invitation to the property, kitty needs a weekend off and i need to know my neighbors! so i thought i woud come up and let you give me some o that infinit e wisdom over a cup of tea? hows da winter rabbits up there? got an geting on your nerves? he he he!

13. TrippinBTM

TrippinBTM Ramblin' Man

Who are you kidding? Of course we're rich! We are the top few percent of the entire world. We are lucky enough to have a computer AND internet, many of us live in houses, most have cars (at least ONE person in the family does), we all probably have tv (most have cable too), electricity in general, warm clothes aplenty, never ever had to worry about food, etc etc....

And most people don't buy used clothes, by the way.

Not that you're entirely wrong in your statements, and I mainly agree with your intended point; but here in America and much of the Western world we live like kings, when you compare us to the rest of the planet. (then again, a lot of our living is done while in debt, meaning we TRULY own much less than we use. Until the mortgage is paid, the car is paid off, and the credit card bills are gone, we don't own our stuff). Maybe not everyone using this site has all the things I named, many are probably in debt if they do (I include myself in this), but the point remains that we ARE rich.

14. cobcottage

cobcottage Member

Old Wolf and Will-Are you guys both in Maine? I forget.

Trippin- You can get a working computer at the dump and free internet, that has nothing to do with anything. If you are comparing us to countries where poeple hunt children for fun, yes we are better off, if you compare us to other industrialized nations- link

15. willow83

willow83 Member

Hey Dania, I can answer this for you, Old Wolf is in the finger lakes region of New York and willpower is on 75 acres located on the St. Croix river in Maine, oh and rich is a state of mind, and not everyone's mind thinks alike, to us rich has nothing to do with possessions and yes we have used free internet for a long, long time, and our computer was free. We love you Dania---Rabbit and Morea

16. oldwolf

oldwolf Waysharing-not moderating Super Moderator

Heya all,

Just want you all to know that there has been an open invitation to any and all to come and visit.
    We do ask for some advance notice so that we can make sure no conflicting schedulings create frustration of wishing that we could have really been there with each other. As well, we pass on directions and particulars (names of record, adresses, phone #) only privately until such time as the community is legally established and in place and ask that all we give that information to, respect our privacy - any one and just about anybody can get this private information - we tend toward inclusiveness not exclusivity - just a PM or email away - and I put out my e mail on every post in the signature. You got a hankering to find out what we're about, to visit , or just to stop and stare - we be here.

And Will,
    I know you went to Maine to be in a more natural environment - here we have cayotes, wolves, bears, deer, cougars (mountain lion), lynx - o and rabbits too. our resident bear has blessed us by wintering over on our land for the last 3 years..... so even in the midst of populated areas can be ribbons of wilderness that are continuous enough to allow for this kind of wildlife. We are happy that we are part of it, and enjoy partnering with Miss Gaia to try to keep it intact.

So stop on by pull up a stone or stump, scout out some firewood and we'll sit round the fire - have to now - it's cold (well right Now it ain't 44F. at nite in Jan - yeah and the climate ain't a changin huh).
    We do have tempoary dwelling places available but would like the opportunity to clean them up a little (and no we don't mind if you help) to prepare them after seasons of unuse and being used for storage and undergoing moving and/or repairs. Have several tents and even extra sleeping bags and airbeds - so you'l just have to find some other excuse .... latch string is out (for you who've never lived in the hills - that means the doors open) and the welcome mat - well it's too damn muddy to leave it out, but you can scrape you boots on the pallets before the entrance and even squeeze in these temporary quarters. I live here full time in much the same condition that is available - not saying it ain't a hardship - just that it's do-able-- hehe where there's a will there's a Way - aye Will ?

So - hello the camp and come on in.

<<<o yeah and if it's too crazy to stay up in the hollow, we can gather at the village house as well, ...... -heheh - and in dire need old crone may even let you overnite in her broom closet>>>

17. artful_dodger

artful_dodger Member

Cash isn't the only working currency....

The ingenuity to go to the dump and get that computer is worth more than the dollars it would take to buy it new. You spend those dollars, they are gone. You learn the skills of scavenging and refurbishing, you have those forever.

However, the fact that that computer is there to be taken there says to me that someone is rich. Americans also spend more on healthcare than anyone else in the world, yet a smaller proportion of our citizens have access to it than anywhere else. This is definitely a cash-rich country; that cash is just poorly distributed.

There are a lot of cash-wealth redistribution ideas out there. Me, I'd rather see the wealth of ingenuity spread more widely.

oldwolf & willpower, the lives you are describing are inspiring. Thank you for posting.

18. cobcottage

cobcottage Member

I guess I will save some things for the politics forums and not go into them here. LOL! If I ever sound like I am ranting against any of you in the politics forums, remember that I still love you:)

I am actually glad that I had to live the last few months without any money because I had gotten quite used to having it and stopped spending it wisely. Now I am realizing I could of gotten health insurance with the money I wasted on other things. I was just so hypnotized by our culture of buy buy buy, and I didn't know it.

I dream of a life without straight lines and graphic design. Sigh

Old Wolf- Are you building anything this summer? If anyone is building anything this summer I lend a body in order to learn.

:)

19. willpower

willpower Member

cob cottage i got two barns and a temp cabin going up this summer, migt would even give you some room to build a cob out/bath house!

20. erowid

erowid Member

Me and brando could certainly use some help with the erection of our cob dwelling, and I was wondering about somethin will, do u got an adress or somethin on this place or if not how fars the nearest town, cause Im saving about 5,000 for some solar panels, wind turbines, batteries, and a 1500W inverter and I have a feeling gettin all that out there could be a tricky ordeal.
    Cob bath house would be cool, to bad cab can't be exposed to water for a long period of time, so youd have to use something else for the actual baths themselves.