Livin' in Tennessee?

Discussion in 'Tennessee' started by earthmother, Nov 24, 2006.

1. earthmother

earthmother senior weirdo

So, supposing someone were thinkin' about moving to tennessee? Real out-back in the sticks, 'bout as far as you could get. Do a little farmin', crafts, play lotsa music. Off the beaten path. Where's the best places to look? How expensive is land? Climate? Pitfalls? Hippy friendly or redneck-beware kind of place?

2. mamaboogie

mamaboogie anarchist

depends on where you go. Most places around here are much more accepting than the rest of the south in my experience, but there are certain areas that anyone who is not white and fundie xtian would do good to avoid. Land is still affordable, if you go out far enough from a major city, but is being developed at an alarming rate. If it were me looking for acreage, I'd be looking either in the mountains of east Tn (because it is the most beautiful place on earth) or in middle TN somewhere near the hippy Farm. Climate is nice, unless you like snow, because we don't get snow around here much at all. We do get ice storms, freezing rain, from time to time instead of snow, which makes it impossible to drive anywhere (but people still try, and end up crashing). If you don't like humidity, TN would not be a good place for you, either. But if you are a gardener, you can grow just about anything here. Love your poppies! I've never been able to make them grow well, maybe it doesn't get cold enough in winter for the seeds to germinate.

3. kissya

kissya Head Mistress

Eastern Tn is the place to be. I've been here 16 years. The people are friendly...the living is laid back. The cost of living is not high. You can get good deals on tracks of land or mini farms. Just depends on the location. Alot of people retire here due to the mild weather. Visit TN and see what you think...

4. Iblistech

Iblistech Guest

I've been living in Middle Tennessee for 20 years now. It's where Nashville, our state's capital, is located. I've been there a couple of times, for field trips and going out to eat. A lot of people live here, including me. Downtown Nashville is amazing. It has all sorts of things, such as restaurants and bars, the Ryman Auditorium, and even the Sportsplex center. Every time I return home from wherever I've been, I'm always the first one to see the AT@T Building, also known as the Batman Building. I've been to both East and West Tennessee a few times as well. The fields and mountains... what a sight to behold. Middle Tennessee doesn't have those things, since it sits on a low-lying area or basin.

5. Siren Songs

Siren Songs Member

I would check out the Land Trust in Sewanee, TN. Lived in that area for three years, have friends who live on the Land Trust, and they love it. Everyone there builds their own place, grows their own food, and does the best they can to live off the grid -- I actually know a guy who lives there who lives entirely off the grid.

http://www.landtrusttn.org/news-savagegulf.html

There's a link I just found that discusses it a bit. Up in the Cumberland plateau, near the University of the South. Beautiful country, open-minded people, great land... probably my favorite place in Tennessee, and I have lived here all my life.