Little Mosque on the Prairie

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Cate8, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Cate8

Cate8 Senior Member

So Im watching this canadian show 'little mosque on the prairie', and its pretty funny comedy about muslims in saskatchewan. Think it would be very controversial south of the border?

2. Aristartle

Aristartle Snow Falling on Cedars Lifetime Supporter

They watch it in NY.

3. lode

lode Banned

Are they being made fun of?

4. nesta

nesta Banned

i actually posted about it in stoners forum not TOO long ago, but several weeks at least....

we dont get it here (as far as i'm aware)

but i heard a nice bit about it last autumn on NPR

i've downloaded a few episodes, and honestly i think its really funny without being offensive. in my opinion, at least.

i think its clever and entertaining, and a surprisingly wholesome show for how amusing it is...

i dunno. i dig it but don't watch it often

i think baber is my favorite

i really like the episode where they decide they need a muslim cemetary in mercy and they get it all arranged and they all go to pick out plots, then they realize if they're buried facing mecca that they'll be looking at a cowboy bar for all eternity...they go ask the bar to shut down and that old man in the motor chair tries to run over the dude in it...hehe...

also like the ban-the-burka episode where that crazy canadian dude thinks the woman in the veil is trying to hypnotize him with her eyes

5. Vance van vandervan

Vance van vandervan Member

Lode its satrical humar.

I hear Little Mosque is like the most popular show canada has made or something, very popular in india.

6. nesta

nesta Banned

no, i think its fair and does touch on the issue of bigotry (but more often simple cultural misunderstandings) without being offensive or derogatory to any group of people.

sadly i think if anything it would be controversial in the US for NOT making fun of muslims

7. lode

lode Banned

This country's awfuly PC, not at all.

8. lode

lode Banned

Maybe I'll download an episode, check it out.

9. nesta

nesta Banned

10. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

awfully pc, until you bring up muslims...

11. lode

lode Banned

On tv?

Personally I could think of some fairly rough critiques of the religion which should perhaps be addressed more, as with Christianity. As I consider both chief sponsors of violence.

But that's off topic I suppose.

12. Cate8

Cate8 Senior Member

no, on topic.

13. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

no, not on tv. but among the average american it's pretty ridiculous.

i don't even know if they could get away with having a muslim character on american tv at this point

14. lode

lode Banned

Well Christianity and Islam are diametrically opposed, both are founded on long traditions and religious texts stating to murder all non believers. At the very core of both religions are messages of intolerance, and spite to other world views.

I think the only way Christians and Muslims can live together is in a society like the US or Canada which have integration and freedom of religion at the core.

In places like Europe, they have very large portions of young muslims who are unhappy because they can't get jobs and are sort of kept out of society, and for their own little societies. I think the only way either religion should be tolerated is if it's kept out of politics completely. And it's a private affair between people and the voice they talk to on Sunday or Friday.

However, I wholeheartedly approve at light hearted humor pointing out cultural differences. That's good to society. We should be able to laugh about ourselves and enjoy that kind of thing. That's open minded and tolerant, and a new kind of world value.

15. Makaveli_Reborn

Makaveli_Reborn No?

I like my Buddhism. I'll keep it that way.

Haven't seen the show, but now everybody has me curious.

And I think it would go fine here. Anybody ever see Sleep Cell?

If that got through the FCC and everybody else, little mosque would too, I'm sure.

16. lode

lode Banned

I think it'd probably be more accepted then a gay.

17. nesta

nesta Banned

erased

18. lode

lode Banned

I'm a daoist, and full of rich inner peace and wisdom.

It's just that a lot of these religious people scare me. Blowing things up, saying it's the fault of gays for someone else blowing stuff up, saying we should invade some country halfway across the world, the end of days is comming, killing cartoonists.

It's a methapor guys.

19. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

there's lots of gay characters on tv... as long as they fit the stereotype that gay men are effeminate psychos it's not a problem.

now a gay married couple who didn't fit the major stereotypes, definitely wouldn't make it

20. lode

lode Banned

You know, the media stereotype of materialistic, effeminate, queeny gay is pretty condescending.

I wonder how people would accept this movie.

The Last Gay Hero.