lip gloss and other peoples' cold sores

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by NovaStarwind, Aug 29, 2005.

1. NovaStarwind

NovaStarwind Member

I have some very good lipgloss (Burt's Bees, mmm), and yesterday my friend asked to use some, so I let her. A few minutes later she was showing everyone at the table the weird cold sore on her lip (which I hadn't noticed before) and was talking about how it's contagious and such. I haven't used the stuff since, but how long do you think it will be germ-ey? Should I just get a new tube and toss the old one? I did learn a valuable lesson, though. Not letting anyone use my lipgloss! Common sense, I know. But it takes a scare or two to realize it, I think.
    ~Laura

2. lace_and_feet

lace_and_feet Super Member

Is it in tube or tin form? If it's in tube form, just crank it up and cut off a thin layer from the top. And if it's in a tub, then just roughly wipe a layer off with a paper towel. I wouldn't be too worried actually, I have never gotten a cold sore from someone who had one whether the contact was through kissing, sharing chapstick, or drinking from the same glass.

3. .::INCUBUS::.

.::INCUBUS::. Member

lol! sorry I can't help but laugh, she was telling everyone how contagious it was right after she used your lipgloss! she's either very inconsiderate or she just plain forgot!

Anyway If it was me I wouldn't take any chances, I'd throw it out and get a new one :)

4. ImmortalDissident

ImmortalDissident Senior Member

I would toss it. Just remember, even though something like 90% of the country has some sort of herpes virus... that doesn't make it cool. Even if you wipe it down, the virus is still going to be there.

But yeah, that is really wierd that your friend would 1. brag about a cold sore, and 2. even ask for any lip balm knowing how contagious they are.

I love burt's bees products too, even though they are damn expensive. Best lip balm ever.

5. NeedtheKeys

NeedtheKeys Member

Give the old one to her. She needs it. The virus can live on. Don't take chances. Just buy another. (And don't share lip gloss anymore!) There's lots of other stuff to share.

6. NovaStarwind

NovaStarwind Member

I think she forgot... but I was afraid to say something after she talked about her coldsore afterward. She's one of those girls you just don't say stuff like that to.

7. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

haha, i wouldve said something to her (cause i'm one of those kinds of grrls!)

yup!

8. interval_illusion

interval_illusion Deceased

my thoughts exactly.

9. RetroGroove_Grrl

RetroGroove_Grrl I'm a big girl now

toss the gloss, especially if it was a wand.

10. Applespark

Applespark Ingredients:*Sugar*

carmex is only like a buck and works better then burts bees I think :) I can see where your grossed out too.

11. Jack-a-Roe

Jack-a-Roe Member

eww...toss it...i know people think i'm crzy...but if someone asks i just refuse to share...not being selfish but ...eww :) she probably meant no harm though