Light bulb scam

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by COBALT_Blue, Jan 28, 2005.

1. COBALT_Blue

COBALT_Blue Member

Daily Trivia - Light Bulbs

I wonder, maybe this is just me but are light bulbs a rip off? They never seem to last very long and I am forever replacing them. Some even burn out after a couple of months. I've tried halogen types imbedded in the ceiling - the worst of all. I bought Philips, other well known makes and they all seem to be the same as the cheap bulbs from Tesco's.

Even light bulbs advertised as long life don't seem to do much better.

Recently the fuse box was changed and the electrics checked so its not the voltage or old wiring etc.

To top it all I read of a town in California where they have a light bulb that has been working for a hundred years!

How long is your oldest light bulb and how long did the worst one last?

Are we being ripped off?

:)

2. Merlin

Merlin Member

Buy some energy saving ones dude, they'll last a while. THey may cost more than a normal bulb but will be more econimical in the long run.

3. COBALT_Blue

COBALT_Blue Member

Thanks Merlin but I done that too and even they dont last that long plus they are so darned dim compared to normal bulbs.

4. Jaz Delorean

Jaz Delorean Senior Member

have you read "on the road" ?
    there's a section in that where Old Bull develops this theory where all the industries COULD make products that last forever, but they don't, because then they'd go out of business, ie: we have the technology to make tyres that don't burst, and fuses that don't blow, lightbulbs that don't blow, etc... but if they made them, then there would be an economic collapse because people wouldn't need to buy anything anymore!!

5. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

Are you growing weed with these light bulbs ?? Then no they tend not too last long on a 12 hour on, 12 hour off cycle :p

Nice conspiracy.. but i don't think they make indesctructable items ? and of course cost is a issue ..

Scientist: 'we have a ever lasting road tyre'
    Public: ' great, how much will it cost '
    Scientist:'£50,000'
    Public:'pick that tyre up Mr scientist and shove it were the sun don't shine'

6. COBALT_Blue

COBALT_Blue Member

Ah so its the plants. They are killing my lights! :)

I havn't but I know that cars are only made to last so long because they make more out of the parts. I'm not sure about light bulbs and other things but of course if you don't make them to last then people will need new ones.
    As Matthew said, cost is the main issue. You might make something that will last years and years but it would be far too expensive and the company that makes it would probably go bust.

Nice conspiracy.. but i don't think they make indesctructable items ? and of course cost is a issue ..

LOL and there endeth the lesson. I guess that could apply to light bulbs. Certainly in respect that we tend to use them most when the sun don't shine.

7. paulfreespirit

paulfreespirit Senior Member

how many light bulbs doe"s it take to change a lightbulb ?. and what if yer get a heavy bulb . maybe this should of been posted in random thoughts / sorry folks. /peace /

8. Merlin

Merlin Member

Yeah that's a real nice theory Jaz. I wish I'd already thought of that.

9. Merlin

Merlin Member

Although having said that, technology is becoming more and more energy efficient. Now you can get personal CD players which can last for over 80 hours on a standard pair of alkaline batteries whereas the older models guzzle power like crazy. I think Duracell and Energizer have a bleak future, unless another wave of new electronic devices (requiring those batteries and being power hungry of course!) comes along.

10. Myranya

Myranya Slytherin Girl

I think it's partly true that companies don't make products too good on purpose. Sometimes making a higher quality is indeed more expensive (and many consumers wouldn't buy it even if it weren't close to $50,000, because they wouldn't trust it or because they just don't have the higher out-of-pocket expense) but it wouldn't surprise me at all if there were a good number of affordable products canned for exactly this reason... that the company making them doesn't want to lose their regular business...
    And here's the Centennial bulb: http://www.centennialbulb.org. It's a beauty really :)