Liberals oust conservatives in Egypt

Discussion in 'Politics' started by rjhangover, Jul 4, 2013.

1. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

The Egyptian Military helped the liberals overthrow President Morsy and the Muslim Brotherhood yesterday. The Muslim Brotherhood is the conservative faction of the Egyptian government. Their policies were trying to send Egypt back a thousand years. Their repressive laws would have taken all rights from women, and destroyed the Egyptian economy.
    I think the military leaders knew that if they hadn't taken Morsy out, the Muslim Brotherhood would have taken over the military budget, which is $1.5 billion coming from the U.S.. And then the U.S. would have cut off the funding.
    But like the conservatives in America, the brotherhood won't take no for an answer. I expect civil war will be coming to Egypt.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/03/world/meast/egypt-protests/index.html

2. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

Unlike the conservatives in America, the Muslim Brotherhood was democratically elected. And the military didn't side with anyone in this. They kicked out Morsi and installed the head of the Supreme Court as the interim president, not the leader of the opposition.

You try so hard to frame every event in terms of left vs right, liberal vs conservative, us vs them, and it's getting really old.

3. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

Once you get a clue about reality, it won't bug you so much.

4. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

Why don't you try offering a defense of your view point instead of just acting all high and mighty? You must have more to offer than that mang. :)

5. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

yep.

I guess I'd rather that Egypt be ruled by a democracy that I don't really like than a totalitarian government that endorses policies that I favor.

rjhangover, it seems like you would love it if every country in the world was dominated by a leftist totalitarian state that arrested and executed political dissidents

6. Summerhill

Summerhill Member

I'm with rjhangover on this one.

7. EL Tuna

EL Tuna Member

Pot meet kettle!

I think you're the one who needs a 'reality' check from your one sided 'blame' fest. You never have a point that others don't have to find for you.

8. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

It's more complicated than that. And there's a good chance monetary aid coming from the US will be cut off BECAUSE of the actions of the military.

Not likely.

9. Summerhill

Summerhill Member

Could you expand on your position further?

10. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

That's what all the right wing fascists say when their repressive ideologies are exposed.
    You like the idea of taking away women's rights, and banning abortion to force them to have kids they can't afford. You like destroying education to keep everybody like sheep. You like destroying Social Security and throwing the elderly out in the street. You like destroying healthcare for all but the greedy. So to distract attention from all that, you lie about me wanting totalitarianism. Wow, what a man!

11. newbie-one

You're endorsing a military coup against a democratically elected government.

I guess that's what left wing fascists say when their repressive ideologies are exposed.

It seems that you're for any political system that serves your will, even if it means a totalitarian state.

Please quote me where I said women's rights should be taken away, abortion should be banned, and that eduction, social security, and health care for all but the greedy should be destroyed.

What part of endorsing the military overthrow of a democratically elected government isn't totalitarian?

12. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

The post I responded to said that the military had taken over to keep control of the military budget and keep US aid coming. The real reasons for this action are probably multiple and we may never really know what they are (I personally don't believe a single word that has been said publicly so far). We can try to guess at something in a couple of weeks time when we see developments emerging. There are two things to consider in a country like that:
    • everybody has their own agenda (and that is not the state or the people)
    • it all comes down to power (and the military had theirs cut after the fall of Mubarak)

Before there is a civil war the military will step in. But I doubt it will come that far.

13. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

Saying what happened isn't an endorsement. Now take your foot out of your mouth.

How many have to be killed by the Muslim Brotherhood before you officially declare it a civil war? 32 were killed yesterday, a few were Egyptian soldiers.

14. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

Why do you bother posting here when you're clearly unwilling to even consider another viewpoint?

15. newbie-one

...so...this is just objective reporting?

ok, please quote me where I said women's rights should be taken away, abortion should be banned, and that eduction, social security, and health care for all but the greedy should be destroyed.

16. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

First you call me a leftist totalitarian on this thread, then you call me a right wing fascist on the Inca stone thread. That makes you a certified nut job that doesn't have a clue. So after you get help, maybe you'll get it. Hope you don't mind if I call you Frank Burns from now on, it fits you.

17. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Why are you people take the effort to respond to eachothers off topic personal attacks and not the on topic valid questions that are asked at first if those are actually topics you care discussing about?

18. newbie-one

That's a legitimate question. I guess if the op had been something like "Morsi and Mulim Brotherhood Overthrown by Military, What Do You Think?", then one might say that the subject of the thread is about politics in Egypt.

However, the way the op is written, it can be reasonably (and I think unavoidably) characterized as an endorsement of the military overthrow of democratically elected governments, so long as those governments are conservative. That becomes the subject. There should be a thread that is just about Egypt though, as it is a worthy subject.

yes. I called you a right wing fascist on the Inca thread. What I was doing was the same thing that you did on this thread: that is, making characterizations about someone without basis, as you did here

so if you would like defend this assertion, please quote me where I said women's rights should be taken away, abortion should be banned, and that eduction, social security, and health care for all but the greedy should be destroyed.

19. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

When you act like a con, when you try defend the cons, when you attack me for telling the truth, then you are a con. When you are a con, then you are supporting their platform, which is banning abortions, taking women's rights, destroying education, destroying Social Security, and destroying healthcare. And it is you that made false characterizations about me, declaring that I am a totalitarian, and then in the next post saying I'm a right wing fascist. All your posts are nothing but troll tools. You should try to find something other to do, rather than being a hip forum stalker. Stalkers are dick heads.

20. Sig

Sig Senior Member

Or, in other words, if someone questions your world view and/or anything you say/post, they are a con. Nice....nice....