Let's talk hockey...

Discussion in 'Sports TV' started by youngnpassion, Oct 30, 2013.

1. youngnpassion

youngnpassion Member

Anyone follow the NHL season? I'm a huge fan and would like to start a forum all things hockey..I'm so excited the season is underway!

First off, can anyone explain to me the changes to this years format? I know 8 teams will make the playoffs from each conference, but how will those 8 be selected compared to years past? I found that a little confusing this year...

2. Sig

Sig Senior Member

3. Deranged

Deranged Senor Member

Go wings

4. youngnpassion

youngnpassion Member

Pennnsssss baby...watch them as often as I can...so Sig are you a Wild fan? They should be solid for years to come with the big trades they made last year...we wanted Sutter...and now that Scuderi broke his ankle..we're hurting for a defenseman

Deranged: I'm impressed with the wings this year...holding their own...who's the new talent you guys have coming up in the organization now that Z'berg and Datsyuk are getting older? I don't follow them that closely

5. *MAMA*

*MAMA* Perfectly Imperfect

How 'bout them Avalanche?? :party:

6. Deranged

Deranged Senor Member

Dony follow hockey closely enough to know the answer to that. All I know is that datsyuk is a fucking magician

7. youngnpassion

youngnpassion Member

MAMA! a hockey fan? I'm so impressed...the Avalanche are amazinggg this year...I'm pretty sure they have one of the best records in the league...you just became extremely gorgeous in my book lol ;)

8. *MAMA*

*MAMA* Perfectly Imperfect

:blush5: lol, I follow a little hockey. The minor league more than anything. The Colorado Eagles are my boys ;). I also follow the Avalanche and Blackhawks though. Being at the game beats watching it on tv any day!

9. Sig

Sig Senior Member

They'll choke. They always do.

Yep, I am a Wild fan. While we did make some amazing signings over the past couple years, I am more excited about our young talent coming up from the AHL. Granlund and Brodin are really coming on strong.

10. youngnpassion

youngnpassion Member

Lol I don't think the Avalanche will choke this year. I think they'll go deep into the playoffs. They just made a great trade today to get Talbot from the Flyers. Talbot's phenomenal, so underrated. I'll never forget his goals for the Pens in that epic Game 7 final against Detroit.

Yeah you guys have signed some unbelievable guys. Are Granlund and Brodin forwards or D? And what round were they drafted in? I don't remember hearing about them...

11. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I am a Sharks fan but I don't watch much hockey until the playoffs. But I'll say with confidence that this is the best goal of the season this far...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-a-XPZqYIw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-a-XPZqYIw

12. youngnpassion

youngnpassion Member

I remember watching this on the highlight reel! That was unbelievable...a rookie doing that for his fourth goal of the game! Unreal...the Sharks are sick this year...this may be the year they actually make a dent in the playoffs for real...

13. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

Well obviously i am a hockey fan but im not saying who my team is.
    This is the first year i didnt get the nhl center ice package to see all the games.
    I am low on funds and time at the moment but i still get to see a few games on national tv. They should have just gone back to the patrick division rather than that stupid metro division crap.
    YP you should get to see a lot more of the red wings now that they are in the same division.

14. RubySoho6

RubySoho6 Organized Chaos

I like hockey. My husband is in the process of teaching me everything I need to know. We just got a minor league affiliate (I hope I don't sound like an idiot. Is that what they're called?) here so we have gone to a few games. I love watching it but the first few games have been full of him explaining the calls and that kind of thing. I was really pulling for him to be a Bruins fan because I love the city of Boston but he refused. I think he was worried about being accused of jumping on a bandwagon. He's a Wild fan.

15. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

It would be easy for a wild fan to jump...its not like they were around for a long time.

But anyway its not too crazy for someone to like teams in two different conferences. Its less likely in hockey than in baseball but not unheard of.

16. RubySoho6

My husband doesn't jump teams. Once he picks a team that is his team for life. He will follow the Bruins but if you ask him his favorite team he will tell the Wild.

We are die hard cubs fans but I love the Red Sox. I guess it's ok since they are different leagues. Obviously on the rare occasion they play each other we root cubs.

I made it to a Red Sox game in July. Bucket list...check but I will most definitely do that again.

17. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

been to a cubs game but fenway is the next one i am trying to make happen.
    list of best parks i been to
    camden yards
    wrigley field
    tigers stadium (a bit biased there but still a great park)
    pnc park
    candlestick
    yankees stadium
    three rivers
    safeco field
    citi field
    and shea stadium (the view was better than citi but i think because i had better seats and was better games that i saw there)
    back to hockey im thinking that being i have only seen games at the igloo, msg, the rock and brendan burn/ continental that maybe i should catch a game at the verizon in washington, if they have a game later in the season when i can put aside some money and its on a day i can make it i think i will. would only travel that far to see the pens though, not any random game.

18. RubySoho6

We started a couple of years ago trying to see all the ballparks. Preferably a game but if it's out of season or no home games we still try to do a park tour.
    I've seen a ton of games at Wrigley. Like every year for about 8 years. Went to the Jersey retirement game for Ryne Sandburg. Thought my husband was going to cry.
    Nationals park
    Turner field
    Miller park
    Fenway
    Kafmann

Toured Miller, Wrigley, Fenway and chase field.
    We have gone to Arizona for spring training too.
    I love me some baseball

We still haven't made it to a professional hockey game yet but looking at trying to make it to a Wild game this season. I HATE going to Minnesota and in 2006 vowed to never go back so we'll see if we make it.

19. Sig

Sig Senior Member

Minnesota has a very, very strong hockey history though. Loyalty to our hockey teams runs very strong, even if some teams have left the state. For example, the North Stars. They were moved down to Dallas, by he who shall not be named, in the early 90s. Yet at Wild games and around the state you will see North Stars apparel all over the place. So, no, it isn't for a Wild fan to jump.

20. Sig

Sig Senior Member

What do you have against Minnesota?