Let Me In

Discussion in 'Horror Movies' started by Shale, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Shale

Shale ~

Let Me In
    Movie Blurb by Shale
    October 1, 2010

I had seen the trailers and this was my movie choice for the week. Guess I was curious about the second film to cast Chloe Grace Moretz (Hit Girl in Kick Ass) as a ruthless killer - this time a child vampire. Also, I am a sucker for vampire movies.

This is not the usual action vampire movie tho. Just as Twilight is a love story that happens to have vampires and werewolves involved, this movie is a drama about Owen (Kodi Smit-McPhee) a lonely, troubled 12-year-old boy whose parents are getting divorced that happens to have a child vampire in it.

Abby (Chloe Grace Moretz) moves into Owen's apartment building in Los Alamos NM in 1983 with a guy we suppose is her father (Richard Jenkins). They live next door to Owen and his mother. Abby is strange, walks barefoot in the snow and looks lonely and disturbed like Owen. She announces to Owen on first meeting him out in the playground that she can't be his friend - yet they meet again and form a relationship.

Friends
    [​IMG]

We soon learn that Abby's father goes out on missions at night to collect human blood for the girl and he is weary of the task but does it as some kind of duty. Meanwhile, Owen, a skinny boy, smaller than his classmates is being bullied by some larger kids at school with some suspenseful moments in the pool.

Owen Cornered In The Pool
    [​IMG]

Owen learns the nature of his new friend, who even tells him that she has been 12 for a while. Eventually, this drama becomes a study in evil and I was more disturbed by the evil in the school than by the evil in the apartment next door. The movie title refers to a vampire limitation that they cannot come into your house without your permission.

Let Me In
    [​IMG]

There are quite a few very suspenseful scenes thru-out the movie and I really liked its novel approach to a vampire story.

While watching this R rated movie, I was aware of it moving slowly, meticulously with great camera angles that gave me a feeling of one of those cinematic works that you see come out of Europe. I later learned that this was a remake of a 2008 Swedish film Let the Right One In, which Director Matt Reeves kept very close to the original.

2. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

The Twilight reference made me too annoyed to listen to you.

But I've been meaning to check out the Swedish for about a year now =P

3. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

Shale ..have you seen "let the right one in" ?

I watched the original Norwegian/Swede version and LOVED IT...I hope this remake does justice

4. Duck

So far most reviewers said something like this one: "it's Americanized but it hasn't lost it's teeth"

The Strangers was actually better than the movie it clearly plagairised from: and Lolita was still good movie-ized and sterilized; so, there's a chance it's as good or almost as :)

5. boguskyle

boguskyle kyleboguesque

looks way too americanized for me. and the director "kept it close to the original" meaning oh the boy is pale, oh they have a rubiks cube, oh they live in a snowy place? or the actual feel of the movie?
    the american version looks like its just going for scary/horror, as the original is much more than that

6. Duck

^ but don't forget how horrible American previews are!

7. boguskyle

boguskyle kyleboguesque

thats true. i shouldn't judge. yet

8. Shale

Shale ~

No, never saw it but read about it after seeing Let Me In.

By the synopsis you linked, it is almost scene-for-scene the same, except for an added scene of a car wreck and the lack of subtitles.

But I did see this movie, so I know what I am talking about for this movie, not some other movie that I did not see.

The aggragate reviewers on Rottentomatoes gave it an 85% good rating and audiences 73% as I recall seeing when I got the pics. So a lot of ppl liked it - but you know Americans, they likely did not see the good movie from Sweden either.

BTW there was a mention of the Swedish film in 2008 on our own International Movies section.

http://www.hipforums.com/newforums/showthread.php?t=326782&f=290

9. boguskyle

boguskyle kyleboguesque

theres a voiceover in english for let the right one in now and its not bad at all actually compared to other foreign movies.
    i dont think let me in, will closely match the wonderful cinematography of the original though with its sophisticated, and elegant kind of scenery in which a scene will have the camera focused on a corner of a building for a while admiring it, or just on snow for about half a minute. haha i like those movies cuz i like the artistic quality.
    but ill probably download let me in in a few minutes to see it

and has anyone else noticed how all the kids look somewhere in between boy and girl? hahaha

10. Duck

^ I hate dubs! You can make me read any day.

11. djomalley

djomalley Fanch King

Really, Duck? I thought 'Ils' was great, while I thought 'The Strangers' was just plain awful... so full of cliches and extremely repetitive. =/ The tension was built well, but tires out rather quickly. The plot and characters are extremely underveloped, and the sense of reality the film builds on in the beginning is quickly shattered by completely unbelievable decisions by the antagonists. Sound and the country music was used well though.

I have not seen 'Let Me In', but 'Let The Right One In' was one of the best from the last decade!

12. northernlehigh97

northernlehigh97 Senior Member

I thought this movie was one of the best vampire love stories ever made. It had great acting, and this is a great interpetation of a vampire tale.

While Let the Right One In is better, this one was close to it. Anyone can watch Let Me In and understand all the parts, while Let the Right One In follows the novel more closely. My suggestion is read the novel, watch Let the Right One In, and then watch Let Me In. You won't regret it.

13. Duck

I didn't like the cliches (such as hurting her foot) and found the characters irrational at times -- but the ending made up for that.

And I think the characters in the foreign one were even more irrational - and I found their 'surprise' ending extremely cliche (though it had less cliches overall)

Overall, I felt the tension was done and held way better in the Strangers.

I just saw Let The Right One In and LOVED it. I can't wait to see the American remake and compare (I don't expect it to be anywhere near as good, but we'll see)

14. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

I prefer subs

I cant hear well and find it easier to read...I love foreign films that are subbed

15. Shale

Shale ~

Well, the DVD was in the dollar bin at Blockbusters so I got it. Now I can compare. Yes the stories ran the same and both were well done. The characters did look too white, but it is Swedish. Except the girl who was much darker, almost tan compared to all the others.

I hated the dubbing, but it sounded better than the English subtitles that I turned on and which did not say the same words as the dubbing. Don't know which translation was more accurate. I wish they had just done it is Swedish with subtitles.

Now I am going to go look for the Let Me In DVD to watch again.

Let the right one in was as good as Let Me In, but the fact that the latter was done in English tips it for me.

16. Duck

I saw Let Me In.

Almost every scene was better done in the original. The remake left out much of the subtext and failed to copy the tone (though it was trying). Also, Let the Right One In had much more tension and suspense.

I did like Let Me In's car scene, but I can't believe they left out the awesome subplots.

Let Me In was great for a modern Hollywood film, but that still isn't very good.

17. tuesdaystar

tuesdaystar Interneter

I think the original was WAY better.

The performances were better, it was all around darker and the setting felt more real.

I never read the book.

What movie did The Strangers 'clearly plagiarize from'? That movie freaked me out, I was totally planning a "serial killer survival kit" out in my head after that movie.

18. Duck

"Them" or "Ils" a french horror movie. The local free paper gave it a terrible review based on their like of the foreign one, and how clearly they plagiarized, which they did, but America did it way better on this rare occasion :patriot:

19. McLeodGanja

McLeodGanja Banned

I thought it was ok, same as the original. The original is the better IMO, more creepy.

Here is one of the deleted scenes from the remake, which shows the young boy trying to get in through the window, while being chased by a monster.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu0n6oDTxi0

20. jamgrassphan

jamgrassphan Get up offa that thing Lifetime Supporter

Just saw this on netflix. I remember seeing the trailer and thinking - yeah that looks good, but never got around to seeing it. This movie was fucking amazing. The best vampire movie to come out since 30 Days of Night and it was better - much better. It's like Kubrick came back from the dead and decided to make a move about a little vampire girl. Why has this movie not received more attention? Kudos to Matt Reeve, Kodi Smit-McPhee, Chloe Moretz and Richard Jenkins. Chloe Moretz and Kodi Smit-McPhee are talented as hell. My god - this movie was good. Anyone see it?