Lesson in Language

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by laughing-buddha, Jul 30, 2013.

1. laughing-buddha

laughing-buddha Relax and have fun

Language is made up of words.
    We all use words to communicate with each other.
    Not only communicate, we even “think” in words.

Just Imagine, what would be happen, if there were no words, no language.

In fact, language is described as a limitation; we put ourselves in, and separate ourselves from pure consciousness
    There are four steps, four levels-
    1 Vaikhari- the Words we speak. Expressed words. This is the most common and widely understood level.

2 Madhyama- The part of the language we use for thinking. We can’t even think without the help of a language. Though I speak English, many a times I think in my mother tongue, which is quite different.

3 Pashyanti- The language, in which I perceive the things, intuition. Many a times we use the phrase- I sense this, but I am unable to express in words.

4 Para- The universal form of communication, well beyond the words. Do you look into the eyes of your pet and understand him instantly? This is Para.
    The pure consciousness lies beyond all this and we need to go beyond these four levels, cross them in order to reach that higher level.
    This is achieved by meditation, in complete stillness of our mind.
    Also, only the strong and adventurous people dare to venture into this area. Mostly our weaknesses pull us back.

2. laughing-buddha

This has got a very unique parallel in Computer terminology
    We have four levels of languages also in Computers
    1 The language which we see on our screen
    2 The programming Language- C. C++, JAVA etc
    3 The Machine Level language
    4 The Binary Language- Composed of only 0 and 1, or presence or absence of “Charge”

And we all are nothing but computers, connected to each other, through this network of servers.
    And we debate the existence of “Charge”?

Strange!

3. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

And this is why I have decided to worship the all powerful GERB.

Vaikhari form: GERB when spoken about, a noun is formed.
    Madhyama form: Thinking of GERB the noun remains.
    Pasyanti form: Perceiving GERB an action takes place and his "State of Verb" is seen.
    Para form: In an instant the universal understanding of the noun as verb and verb as noun is achieved.

GERB is thus revealed.

(Disclainer: GERB is not related to the Gerbs, which are hunchbacked aliens of the thirteenth moon of Yavin.)

4. Mountain Valley Wolf

Mountain Valley Wolf Senior Member

BUT-----I have decided to worship the all powerful BREG

Though I do believe that there is a war starting in Ireland, where the worshippers of BREG are fighting the worshippers of GERB, while observers in other countries argue that they are fighting over worship of the same thing. Meanwhile, most worshippers of BREG, or GREB, around the world remain largely indifferent to Ireland's plight.

(Disclaimer: BREG is not related to the Bregs, which are hunchbacked aliens of the dark side of the thirteenth moon of Yavin)

5. Mountain Valley Wolf

On a more serious note-----this relates to the question, how do babies think? How do animals think? In both cases they lack a structured language to formulate thoughts, but clearly they still think.

Those of us who have learned to read and write (I think there are at least a few of us on this forum), and likewise, learned the syntax of grammar have been programmed to think in linear terms to the degree that we use a linear language (English and Indo-European languages are very linear, Japanese and Chinese are less linear. Native American languages are largely non-linear, and many of them do not have a formal writing system, but rather one that was forced upon them by the dominant culture). Thinking in linear terms has contributed to our alienation from subconscious mind which works in a more natural non-linear state. Think of the sequence within our dreams, for example.

This has helped shape a more rational, conscious-based understanding of the world around us. But the problem is that our essence of who we are as humans belongs to the irrational, subconscious- or emotion-based side of our personalities. Love, empathy, sadness, and all the other emotions and feelings that make us living beings are carried along with that linear programming, but they do not really fit into our cold rational world. We make a place for them, but only because they are always present.

Like the baby or the animal, ancient man must have thought, and likewise communicated in non-linear terms. It is hard to imagine that mode of thought from the perspective of our linear world, where, '1 + 2 = 3,' instead of, 'this and those are all of these.'

6. laughing-buddha

Actually, I am little confused.

I tried googling GERB, didn't help at all.
    The I tried BREG, still clueless.

Where Do I get to know more about these terms?

7. MeAgain

GERB, in Royal Purple, was spontaneously reveled to me in my thread God as Noun. Whereas it was made known that God, or gods as the case may be, is not a noun, but a verb. Hence God Verb or GERB, in the Royal Purple action form.

BREG is an obvious impostor and a word play on the Immaculate GERB, and a poor one at that.

If you do a Correct Google Search, you will find the the Gerbs are hunchbacked aliens of the thirteenth moon of Yavin in the Star War galaxy. They have nothing to do with reality, unlike the very real GERB.

8. MeAgain

I am absolutely serious.

But onward....
    Babies do not think in the manner that we do. In fact young children don't either. Look at any book on child psychology and you will find experimental data that defines stages of mental development in the child. The human brain is not fully developed until after the age of twenty, I believe.

I have more to say on this subject, but I am going to go take a nap now....I'll be back.

9. Mountain Valley Wolf

That's right----them damn teenagers...!

I do want to add that I do not believe that ancient man thought like a child. This was a common prejudice that also implied that modern indigenous people are also child-like or at least inferior to civilized man. Thus some Jungian psychologists have even argued how the rise of the Goddess related to the mother-infant relationship, and that the mother was an all powerful, encompassing being who could provide sustenance and take it away, to the infant. While there are certainly archetypal similarities, the adult, so-called primitive man, was an adult just the same, and was very sophisticated, knowledgeable, and wise about surviving in a world that most of us would quickly die in.

Yes---after I saw the thread, God as a noun, my attempt at humor lost much of its significance...

10. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

we are born with language , like a bird its song . some trouble arises
    when this first language is suppressed by an over-dominate social language .
    what could be the trouble ? it might feel like a schiz . oh , some recommend
    meditation and unto the universal . mostly tho , just remember all of who
    you are . that's universal enough . that wild animals will then speak to you
    is just very nice . hi .